+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Calling Divide

Default The Calling Divide

Let me start off by saying I have no vested interest in the values presented here one way or another. I couldn't care less who plays whom come release, and whatever inconsistencies there are in class divides are inevitable, as no MMO in history ever has a perfectly even spread. I have merely observed several threads over the past few weeks relating to the question of what the calling divide will be. I imagine the statistics I present will not be surprising to many of you, but I figure, it couldn't hurt to provide them.

That said, I reviewed my stash of Fraps'ed Warfront clips and found ten files that contain the results of the Black Garden warfront, and seven of the Codex. I added up the total number of players from each calling and will provide my results here.

Some of these clips are from my Cleric in the 30's bracket, and some were from my Mage in the 20's bracket. In order to not skew the results, I chose to omit myself from the calculations. Had I factored myself, there would be a skew in the results due to the assured +1 advantage my respective calling would immediately have in total before the match even started. Instead, I chose to omit myself and merely observe what others had selected as their choices. As a result, each Black Garden WF will only show 19 total players, and each Codex will show only 29 (with the exception of 1 where I didn't scroll down in the video, and thus have only a limited scope of 18 of the players that participated, sorted by "Kill Total".)

Disclaimers:
    These numbers came exclusively from PvP and are not inteded to be representative of the entire population. I played on Briarthorn (PvP) Shard, and thus numbers include associated shards: Seastone, Belmont, and Wolfsbane. These numbers are purely to add to existing surveys to continue to convey, as accurately and impartially as possible, the calling divide we should expect to see at head-start.

The results of my observations are listed below:

===============================

BLACK GARDEN:

# # # #
    Cleric/Rogue/Mage/War

8 / 2 / 5 / 4

7 / 3 / 5 / 4

6 / 9 / 2 / 2

4 / 8 / 4 / 3

5 / 8 / 3 / 3

7 / 5 / 3 / 4

6 / 6 / 6 / 1

5 / 8 / 1 / 5

7 / 5 / 3 / 4

6 / 6 / 5 / 2

Total
    61 - Clerics
    60 - Rogues
    37 - Mages
    32 - Warriors

==============================

THE CODEX:

# # # #
    Cleric/Rogue/Mage/War

9 / 7 / 5 / 8

2 / 13 / 6 / 8

8 / 5 / 5 / 11

10 / 10 / 4 / 5

9 / 11 / 6 / 3
    ^lol^
    6 / 4 / 5 / 3

10 / 6 / 7 / 6

Total
    54 - Clerics
    56 - Rogues
    38 - Mages
    44 - Warriors

=====================

GRAND TOTAL:
    382 Players

115 - (30.1%) - Cleric
    116 - (30.4%) - Rogue
    75 - (19.6%) - Mages
    76 - (19.9%) - Warriors

=====================

I've got to say, I was a little surprised at first, I didn't think there were quite as many clerics based on how few other healers I tend to see. But then I remembered that half the clerics in the game don't spec healing anyway, so I guess it makes sense. What do you all think? Any thoughts/concerns?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    TLDR: 30% Cleric, 30% rogue, 20% mage, 20% Warrior
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

Plane Walker

Your numbers match my observations on PvP servers as well. So no surprise there, pretty much assumed that rogues and dps clerics would be most popular on a PvP server, as it is in most PvP games.

I would be very interested to see the same type of thing done on a PvE server, I wonder how different the calling's would be.

For PvE, I would take a guess and say it would be more even, with warriors being the lowest played calling by a small amount.

Champion of Telara

yeah, i've always observed a high number of clerics, i'm not surprised by these results.

Rift Master

Begs the question how skewed were the results based on the perceived OPness of rogues & clerics from earlier betas. Many people tend to pick a toon and stay with it, especially given the limited play time available in some of the betas.

Quote Originally Posted by bri bates View Post
    Begs the question how skewed were the results based on the perceived OPness of rogues & clerics from earlier betas. Many people tend to pick a toon and stay with it, especially given the limited play time available in some of the betas.
    Valid point. Especially considering how "VK are OP!" cries didn't come until later betas and the results suggested Warriors were still not that popular despite those perceptions.
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

+ Reply to Thread