+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dual wield weapons for rogue

Default dual wield weapons for rogue

During the downtime i was watching a few You tube vids of rogue gameplay and noticed that alot of these rogues where using dual axes.

Now i know that DPS on axes compared to daggers is extremely high, but i always thought that the faster attack speed of daggers was the safest bet.

However, as i never use auto attacks in PvP unless im out of energy for a second, would this realy matter?
    Am i correct in thinking that the attack speed on weapons only affects white damge and not damage from skills?

If this is the case then im looking for a sweet pair of axes tomorrow

yes 123456

Soulwalker

I am similarly curious about this when it pertains to Riftstalkers. Do RS want 2x fast weapons, or 2x slow weapons? I would assume, since RS don't have any weapon proc skills such as poisons that they would prefer 2x slow, but I am unsure... hence I ask those who may know.

Man oh man i fecked up in Beta lol

With all my MMO experience and i didnt even think of this till i saw the vids, i feel a complete tw@

Why do you say you never auto attack unless you're out of energy? Unless you spend literally 100% of your time channeling Cadence or using cast-time ranged abilities, you'll be auto attacking. If you have a typical rotation of backstabs, impales, or whatever other combo point generators that hit your enemy, you auto attack during that time as well. Thinking that you only auto attack if you're not using any abilities is incorrect.

Axe DPS and Dagger DPS are the same if the items are the same level. Attack abilities have been normalized such that slower weapons do not cause significantly higher damage than faster weapons. The most important factor is the listed DPS on the weapon.

Finally, I believe that poisons are not normalized to attack speed, meaning faster weapons will apply more poisons over a given length of time. This, combined with the damage normalization of attack abilities, makes me think that a faster weapon will outperform a slower weapon with the same listed DPS.

For Riftstalkers... I'd say the different either way is minimal. One thing that could tilt it in favor of slower weapons is if you have the strikeback talent from Blade Dancer... I'm not sure if the free riposte it gives you is normalized or not, so a slower weapon might cause it to hit for more damage.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by IIntrude View Post
    I am similarly curious about this when it pertains to Riftstalkers. Do RS want 2x fast weapons, or 2x slow weapons? I would assume, since RS don't have any weapon proc skills such as poisons that they would prefer 2x slow, but I am unsure... hence I ask those who may know.
    Poison and magic procs from weapons have a cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagant View Post
    Ah yes I remember seeing recent patch notes saying they corrected a bug that was causing that cooldown to be ignored. I guess weapon speed is largely irrelevent for everyone then.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

and that cooldown is ?
    lazy by name, lazy by nature.

Soulwalker

Is Strike Back in the Bladedancer tree considered a magic proc and fall under that condition then? If so, then yeah weapon speed seems pointless, if not it looks like 2x slow are the way to go.

Oops, posted before i read what others had said *fidgets, then leaves the room*
    Last edited by Arcticred; 02-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Shadowlander

I was just wondering this same thing, I plan on playing rogue as well and was wanting to stick with the old assassin ways of cloak and daggers. Now on the other hand even with the cd fixed on posions at 20% (ignoring soul points) if may still get more procs out with a faster weapon. Does anyone know average dagger and axe weapon speeds?

Simple math at 20% assuming dagger speed is 1.8 and axe 2.4 in a minute fight you would get
    Dagger: 6.6667 procs
    Axe: 5 procs

At 30%
    Dagger: 10
    Axe: 7.5

Thats all assumign no CD though, and as always RNG is random.
    Last edited by Hightin; 02-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Plane Walker

auto attack damage is insignificant. what is significant are enchantment procs.

i liked daggers the best because of this. even with a cooldown on procs daggers will still proc more.
    Last edited by zeroburrito; 02-23-2011 at 04:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread