+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Positive in the Negative

Default A Positive in the Negative

Amidst all these threads complaining about nerfs, or a supposedly OP spec here and there, there's one thing you're all missing. Considering the absolutely vast range of playable combinations, Trion has done an outstanding job of keeping them all in relative line. While there are perhaps an outlier or two, the vast majority are in a pretty good position. Id wager that the relative balance in this MMO is already much better than it is in the majority of others. Try and keep that in mind before you take up torch and pitchfork.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Quote Originally Posted by Zayrinoke View Post
    Amidst all these threads complaining about nerfs, or a supposedly OP spec here and there, there's one thing you're all missing. Considering the absolutely vast range of playable combinations, Trion has done an outstanding job of keeping them all in relative line. While there are perhaps an outlier or two, the vast majority are in a pretty good position. Id wager that the relative balance in this MMO is already much better than it is in the majority of others. Try and keep that in mind before you take up torch and pitchfork.
    The best part is that the most part they're not complaining about certain souls, just the fact that they're doing it. It means the changes have been fairly justified, lol.

I've seen some really solid "out of the box" soul combo's, just wait and people will notice there are better combo's out there than what they consider "the must haves" and the search begins.
    Play to Crush.

Default Yep

I think the OP is right based on what we know so far. One of my initial fears for the game would be 32 Souls = impossible 32 balancing acts but there's only a few of Souls that are off-the-charts silly.

And having made 13 characters, albeit to quite low levels it was massively obvious that the Riftblade was an abomination. My mate played one too and quickly agreed he could not carry on with it in Beta as it was clearly going to get heavily nerfed for Live. The actual Riftblade fix is a good one too.

I got bored of the Sabo very fast (not least because a sound bug meant Detonate fell silent) but could clearly see spike damage issues there that border on exploits. The ability to cleanse charges again seems like a good fix.

Other than that, and a few Souls which could use some "love" I think the'y done a good job so far,

Quote Originally Posted by Catskills View Post
    I've seen some really solid "out of the box" soul combo's, just wait and people will notice there are better combo's out there than what they consider "the must haves" and the search begins.
    Yep. Theyve done a good job of not having any that are so bad no one will touch them, in particular.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Rift Disciple

I look at it like this...

Judging by the forums, the following classes are "OP" at any given time...

Bards
    Chloromancers
    Reavers
    Void Knights
    Saboteurs
    Rangers
    Inquistors
    Healers/Clerics in general (lol)
    Rogues/Stealth/Marks in general (lololol)

People just need to relax and learn the ins and outs on their class before screaming for nerfs (or buffs for that matter). For someone to think they have more knowledge then the developers, after a few hours play time are delusional and I can't even argue with some of the more "vocal" ones because its just too stupid for words. One thing I REALLY like - if so many people are complaining about all these classes OP then Trion actually did something right.

btw - before the flames start in - I realize a few specific class groups needed to be toned down, and from what I can tell Trion has done that (for better or worse). Far as I'm concerned, they did a pretty great job overall.
    Last edited by Stayonboard; 02-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.

I think they've done a hell of a job.. and yeah, 32 (36 with PvP )souls to balance is a pain in the arse. And just think of the billions of different possible talent point combinations. It's overwhelming. Excellent work.

Oh, and to throw in a negative..
    I wish people would be more specific when they QQ... Warriors this! Rogues That!! Um.. how about specific souls and abilities, pal! That might help more.
    <Byaahh>
    <Infensus>

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zayrinoke View Post
    Yep. Theyve done a good job of not having any that are so bad no one will touch them, in particular.
    Except the cabalist.

+ Reply to Thread