+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is 1h+Shield Ever the Best Choice?

Default Is 1h+Shield Ever the Best Choice?

Is there any class/soul which works best with a one-hander plus a shield?

I played around with several builds during BETA - only taking each to lvl 10-15. I just wanted a taste of how varied the different souls can builds an be...but it seemed like, for melee, a two-hander was almost always the best choice, with a couple of builds working best with dual wield...

There were some decent shields that I just never used. When would you use them?

Rift Master

In most situations s/b will be the preferred alignment for tanking harder content. Nothing in the range of play you experienced would qualify as requiring a tank unless you happened to stumble onto major invasion bosses.

paladin/riftblade/something

for any tank and for rift blades its best.

I'd like to expand on the initial question slightly. Is there any reason for a Cleric, aside from Justicar, or Mage to want to use anything other than a 2hander (ie mh+oh or shield) in PvE? That is to say, given a 2 hander alongside a MH+OH of equal stats, would there ever be a reason to prefer the 1 hander?

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

I always used sword and shield on my Paladin, even when soloing. Most of the skills in their tree are related to blocking, including two that give you self heals. I wouldn't use a shield on an Offensive soul, but I'd use one on all of the Defensive souls (Paladin, Void Knight, Warlord, Reaver) for tougher opponents. I'd say shield use is largely situational for every soul other than Paladin, though.

I'd like to expand on the initial question slightly. Is there any reason for a Cleric, aside from Justicar, or Mage to want to use anything other than a 2hander (ie mh+oh or shield) in PvE? That is to say, given a 2 hander alongside a MH+OH of equal stats, would there ever be a reason to prefer the 1 hander?
    For mages, it's all about the stats. Your weapon's damage doesn't impact spell damage at all in any of the souls I played (Warlock, Necromancer, Chloromancer), but its spellpower and intelligence bonuses do. I'm not sure with clerics, but my guess is that they heal well enough that the extra defense from their smaller shield would largely be wasted. Rogues can't use shields, but I'd love one on a Riftstalker. ;)
    Last edited by Eirinin; 02-23-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -Ana´s Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Zayrinoke View Post
    It will probably depend on what the endgame rune enchants look like. There might be times when having two pieces to enchant will be either more flexible or give more total stats than having one piece to enchant.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zayrinoke View Post
    If stats are equal? Play the one you prefer, stylistically. If stats =/= go with the better stats. Clerics theoretically could go with a shield for added defense but without Justicar talents the gain would be laughably small compared to the surefire loss of stats vs either other option. Mages don't have the shield option so will go with whichever of staff/dagger+offhand gives them better stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post
    It will probably depend on what the endgame rune enchants look like. There might be times when having two pieces to enchant will be either more flexible or give more total stats than having one piece to enchant.
    This is a good point, and one I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

OK - makes sense that I didn't see the need for the shield... I tend to go more for offensive than defensive...but of course, for a defensive tank, a shield would be a must.

If i see two clerics in pvp, one with a shield and one with out a shield. Im probably attacking the one with out a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post
    I took a peek at some of the enchants for sale for artisan marks during Beta 7... looked like there were both 2H and 1H enchantments, but it looked like 2 1H enchants would give a larger boost than a single 2H enchant. Of course, if the 2-handers have more stats to begin with, that could just even things out.... so it's hard to say which way it will go. But they definitely have implemented separate enchants for the 2 weapon types, so it looks like they're trying to make both at least feasible.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    If i see two clerics in pvp, one with a shield and one with out a shield. Im probably attacking the one with out a shield.
    Which is pretty silly since the one without the shield will probably be harder to kill.

Even for Cleric tanks, shields barely give much of an increase to survivability. If a Cleric uses a shield, they will have a lot less spellpower since cleric shields have terrible stats on them right now. So that healing cleric not using a shield will probably have stronger heals due to more spellpower while the shield cleric will have an insignificant amount more armor.

Edit: of course if you're plan is to disrupt the bigger threat, then attacking the shield-less Cleric is the right plan.
    Last edited by Runtile; 02-23-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalet View Post
    Is there any class/soul which works best with a one-hander plus a shield?

I played around with several builds during BETA - only taking each to lvl 10-15. I just wanted a taste of how varied the different souls can builds an be...but it seemed like, for melee, a two-hander was almost always the best choice, with a couple of builds working best with dual wield...

There were some decent shields that I just never used. When would you use them?
    Well right off I would say you need to do more testing. There are builds that a shield is good with, like a build that has shield attacks. Now for solo stuff it can be a bit slower but without ANY downtime, thus making it faster though slower to kill. Understand? Good.

Now on to the 2hand thing, well 2handers crit higher, bigger numbers, therefore most people assume it is the dominate spec. What get ignored is the less down time thing as well as how valuable the shield attacks can be and often, even in rift hit very hard.

Also tanking style specs, one that favor S/B over a 2hander also often have aoe attacks... hrmm now dmg reduction and taking out 3-4 mobs at one and no donwtime... now what is faster. So its a matter of play style and old school know how.

Play what is most fun to you as you will play it better. If you are playing a spec that does not fit you it will show and you will suck at it.
    No but Llamas with hats are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by newwb View Post
    paladin/riftblade/something
    2 paragon for the most OP finisher in the game leaving a nice 32/32 split with paladin riftblade for imo the most 1h/shield dps in the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast