+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP Tutorials as Video - Champion and Riftblade

lgw

Default PVP Tutorials as Video - Champion and Riftblade

On the last day of beta I made a few Frapses, and after some hassle with the editing software the first two tutorials are done.

Here come the first results - two complete captures of two warfronts:
    * Champion (Spec)
    * Riftblade (Spec)

PS: Want to see more ? Then help me find a good video editor.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

While I commend you for trying, this was absolutely not even close to being a tutorial. Outside of some annotations on what your abilities did, you didn't describe your class, what abilities to use in crucial situations, or even how to counter a class. This was you just 'pwn'n noobs' at the top level of the bracket.
    Things you can do to help;
    1) Describe what your class is best at (ex. whittling a class down, big burst when cooldowns are up, locking down classes)
    2) How do you fight a bard, a warden, a ***. Rogue.
    3) What kind of spec should you pick up, what other classes will compliment each other class.

Sidenote: I only watched the Riftblade 'Tutorial', I saw no point in watching the other. So take what I said above with that thought in mind.

Flame Spear has been nerfed down to the ground on alpha FYI.

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Toehead19 View Post
    While I commend you for trying, this was absolutely not even close to being a tutorial. Outside of some annotations on what your abilities did, you didn't describe your class, what abilities to use in crucial situations, or even how to counter a class. This was you just 'pwn'n noobs' at the top level of the bracket.
    Things you can do to help;
    1) Describe what your class is best at (ex. whittling a class down, big burst when cooldowns are up, locking down classes)
    2) How do you fight a bard, a warden, a ***. Rogue.
    3) What kind of spec should you pick up, what other classes will compliment each other class.

Sidenote: I only watched the Riftblade 'Tutorial', I saw no point in watching the other. So take what I said above with that thought in mind.
    Tasted differ, I guess.
    Besides, the stress is on "PVP" and "video for easy access", and all come with my spec linked. I don't think it's good explaining to spoon feed people information, hence my choice.
    Also please remember that all is done in my free time and without payment. Should that change you can well expect even more verbose guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Brota View Post
    Flame Spear has been nerfed down to the ground on alpha FYI.
    Wow, again ?!
    Good thing I'll probably roll a Mage anyway - <3 Chloro healing !
    Last edited by lgw; 02-22-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Meh, I didn't really like flame spear anyway. Since I knew it was gonna get nerfed. (even though rift blade is still OP because of a certain combination of skills but I digress).

In my opinion rift blade will still be bad *** for champion because you still get feeze armor which is a really awesome skill in and of itself. Top that off with the talent (Surging Energy) and it works very well in conjunction with champion as a whole.

Another piece of advice for the OP who posted the video, Text bubbles are very annoying and I couldn't help but notice that you used a lot of them. Along with what other people have said, your video doesn't really do into the depth it should have gone into being "guide"/"tutorial". You did show off some abilities and what not but a tutorial explains to the new player what skills do what, what your class is good at doing (in champions case, our build up dmg is very good and our burst finisher dmg is awesome).

Also I would suggest if you decide to make another one of these videos explain your soul choices maybe. I know it sounds dumb and everyone should pick what they want in the first place, but you would be surprised how many people would appreciate knowing what souls you picked and your given opinion on why you think these souls mesh well with the class. For example as a stated above, "early rift blade talents are amazing for champion, since you get access to a snare, and also access to a talent called surging energy. Which is amazing for champion as a whole".

Little pieces of advice like this will draw the viewer in and actually help them, listing your action bar setup isn't to use full I have found when trying to instruct players either since action bars are purely opinion based and are made to your play style and the way you press your buttons.

All in all decent video I would give it a B-, and I would also tell you keep up the good work and I bet your next video will be even better.

Soulwalker

Thank you for this video I enjoyed it all. Bubbles helped me. I am a noob to the game and they made it

possible for me to catch some of what was going on.

I got some good ideas from your video. I like champ and I no longer want to be an archer.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Tasted differ, I guess.
    No, it's really not a tutorial at all, taste has nothing to do with it.

I don't think it's good explaining to spoon feed people information
    That's pretty much what a tutorial does.

Also please remember that all is done in my free time and without payment. Should that change you can well expect even more verbose guides.
    I'm pretty sure any verbose guides you'd try to do aren't worth paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by RamataKahn View Post
    No, it's really not a tutorial at all, taste has nothing to do with it.

That's pretty much what a tutorial does.

I'm pretty sure any verbose guides you'd try to do aren't worth paying for.
    +1 to all this guy said.

Calling this a tutorial is like calling an empty milk carton a bottle of wine.
    G.T.L.

Gaming. Table tennis. Library.

IT'S T-SHIRT TIME!!!

Character:

[GUARDIAN] Level 4X High Elf Rogue

lgw

@ Arago:
    Thanks for the elborate feedback. I'll consider the suggestions, and the next stuff should be better anyway, because I have more Fraps material work with from the start.
    Two things to consider though. 1) I used the bubbles, because those not interested in the tutorial can switch them off with just one click. 2) It's a PVP tutorial, not a Warrior / Soul-X tutorial. The latter has already been done by others, and it can only can give you hints anyway, because - like driving - no amount of explanation will teach you how to do it, only actually playing will.

@ floaydpinkus:
    Cool - mission accomplished.

@ rest:
    Sorry it wasn't to your taste, but flaming me for not investing even more of my free time to suit your personal liking ain't get you anything.
    Besides, as explained above, it's a PVP tutorial. Furthermore, spoon feeding people information creates parrots, not intelligent human beings...
    Wildstar PVP inc

Soulwalker

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tutorial

Please refer to the above link as you are obviously unaware of the meaning of the word tutorial.

I liked it. I could definitely see this as beneficial to newbies.

One thing though, remember what a wise man once said about arguing with fools ;)

Soulwalker

>Tutorials
    >Riftblade

I lol'd and stopped reading.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Arago View Post
    Meh, I didn't really like flame spear anyway. Since I knew it was gonna get nerfed. (even though rift blade is still OP because of a certain combination of skills but I digress).
    oh u must mean rift surge combined with rift surge lolol

+ Reply to Thread