+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End game for Archon?

Shadowlander

Default End game for Archon?

What's the end game for Archon? Uber buff support?

Shadowlander

Default ........................

nm then....................

Shadowlander

Wait more than an hour before you get all upset at the lack of replies

I haven't tested Archons out yet, but main concern is how buffs of the same type override each other. For example: Endurance. If a Sentinel gives me Heroic Blessing, and a Bard casts Fanfare of Vigor, the fanfare will eat the blessing (and vice versa).

This seems to affect the Archon more than anyone, because a number of their buffs are a "debuff self to buff group" kinda deal. How does the game respond to that? Do Archon buffs get eaten by other classes? If so, do they stilll have a debuff on them? And what about talents like Altruist, Speed in Numbers and Power in Numbers? If my buffs are ever at risk of being eaten, I don't think I'd spend points there. Maybe this isn't as big a concern as it seems?
    Last edited by Aqualad; 02-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Default Interesting question

I had noticed the buff overwrite problem with a couple other classes (most notably my bard), but hadn't really tried the archon yet.

A quick glance at the archon tree does show that if their buffs are going to be overwriting others and/or be overwritten there will be some major issues with the soul as a whole. That would kind of ruin the functionality of the soul in its entirety.

Now, if they did not overwrite, but instead suppressed the lesser buff for the duration of the stronger, that would not be so bad. Alas, it does not currently work this way, but perhaps this idea will be seen and implemented.

Hey, a person can dream, can't they?
    Intelligence may be overrated, but it is better than the alternative.

i feel that archon offers more in the debuffing part then the buffing part.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshox View Post
    i feel that archon offers more in the debuffing part then the buffing part.
    This ^ It's definitely more about debuffing when you get out and actually play one. It's a lot of fun too

Quote Originally Posted by Llars View Post
    This ^ It's definitely more about debuffing when you get out and actually play one. It's a lot of fun too
    Agree with this as well.

And the buffs that don't get overwritten will also be helpful.

Default All hail the great debuff

I'm all in favor of debuffs. Heck, in CoV debuffs allowed myself and 2 friends to down a monster class mob, and three-manning a monster is not something I've often (ever?) heard of.

However, my concern is that if the potency of the debuffs is being balanced against the buffing side and the buffs are lost (or others are lost to make way for the archon buffs), then the debuffs will be weaker than they should be. This situation does seem like it needs some attention.
    Intelligence may be overrated, but it is better than the alternative.

Telaran

51 points in archon will give your debuffs the ability to also do damage, so you will still do some good damage as well as supporting the entire raid at the same time, but it defenitly isn't a solo build, its ment for 5+ groups where you will see the most benefit.

+ Reply to Thread