+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bard: are they worth it?

Soulwalker

Default Bard: are they worth it?

Ok so now we are just waiting for launch and I'm seriously considering my class choices now. I really enjoyed the marksman/ranger/xxx combo. I put the bard as 3rd choice, but often found myself forgetting to use any of the bard abilities and when I did, I didn't really notice much of a difference. Granted I didn't use bard as my primary soul and I didn't make it past level 12 with it due to focus on my cleric; however, I am now planning on playing my rogue first.

Now I wanted to ask if bard is good for the build. The reason I ask is everyone in chat seemed to say bard "makes everything better." if this is so, do I make it my primary soul? Do I go 50/50? Any input is welcome. I just didn't get enough time to mess around with it.

Generally I went 50/50(%) ranger/marksman.

Thanks for your input!

Soulwalker

Default me too

I never played the Bard, but man I read story after story that they are the fastest LVL'ing soul of all....bar none.

I really have to think about this myself, can anyone support this , I mean there are many changes coming, leaks and all , but is the Bard the fastest leveling soul? I really don't know. Maybe someone does.

no they are terribad

should be taken out of the game completely

great thread

Telaran

the fastest leveling spec? no way their dmg is to low for that ranger would pwn it tbh since they got a pet to tank and they heal it
    BUT its fun to be a bard and it is very easy to level with... you wont see much a diff at level 12 since the buffs are still level 1 and you dont got all of them
    group without bard < group with bard ^^

Bards are great and bring a lot of value to a group. Once you get the heal finisher you can pretty safely mainheal in some of the lower dungeons as well (IT, Fae). The motifs are great and you can spam your cadence for constant healing on your party. If you spec far enough into nightblade (I think?) you get extra bonus damage/healing and, eventually (L8?), a 45 second CC.

Taking ranger as your 0 point talent gives you a pet that will last you until your early 30's. Soloing is pretty easy, and you're a great addition to rifts and zone events.

-Rip

Soulwalker

bard is not a solo soul imo, its a soul thats gets better then more people in the group. When I played my bard in beta, I had a marks/ranger offspec to play when questing then switched to a full bard spec for groups. People loved me

Plane Touched

Bard leveling is pretty decent. In the low levels you can take on about 3 mobs without dying, later on you will be able to have more beating on you, without dying. There is no downtime, there is no eating to regen health, you put up anthem of competence (20% runspeed if you talent anthems) and your good to breeze through the game. Seriously, there is no contest, cadence, power chord, coda of wrath/fury = win.

When you get virtuoso you will be laughing yourself silly at how effective you can be every 3 min. and inbetween that time how effective you still are.

On top of that, it will be easy to get groups for dungeons, your Rift bar will reach golden in about 3 seconds, and youll be an awesome asset for pvp.

I will be leveling my rogue as bard till late 30's, where I will swap to a Bladedancer/Riftstalker build that has a 30 second runspeed 2min cd ability and 3-5 charge/shift abilities, meaning I target a mob, shift to it, kill it, shift to next mob, kill it, charge kill it, shift kill it (all the while letting one or two combo points remain on the mob to heal me to full when the mob is dead).

The rogue calling is insane for leveling.

I took a Bard straight through to lvl34 during beta7.

Its a great soul, but nowhere near the fastest to level. The good thing is u just dont die, apart from warfronts i died only once in PvE and that was because of a terribad pull at a rift where i was snared and couldnt escape 3 elites.
    Also there is zero downtime with a Bard. Not sure about other souls as i just used Bard/RS/NB for leveling and some warfronts (depending on whether there was a cleric in the group)
    and then Assassin/RS/NB for pure warfronts and openworld ganking :P

The truth is that during Warfronts i actualy got more kills than on my assassin, mainly due to the fact that you need to be toe to toe as melee and once you dispatched your victim you where generaly focus fired to pieces, where on my bard i could burn down people on low health from behind my tanks and MM so i was free to kill while healing

Soulwalker

Default so...

They don't level as fast as who? because even in the posts in this string, say no down time, which I always thought was the fastest leveling soul?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rockism View Post
    They don't level as fast as who? because even in the posts in this string, say no down time, which I always thought was the fastest leveling soul?
    Those with no downtime and high DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockism View Post
    Most builds can level without downtime. Assassins keep things stunlocked 80% of the fight and have Leaching Poison to keep themselves topped off. Riftstalkers have Rift Scavenger to give themselves a big heal at the end of each fight. Rangers have their pet tank and can heal it. Saboteurs kill their target before it reaches them.

Bard leveling speed isn't atrocious by any means. If you can pull 3 mobs at a time it's actually pretty decent. But it won't be as fast as some of the other builds out there.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Bard leveling speed isn't atrocious by any means. If you can pull 3 mobs at a time it's actually pretty decent. But it won't be as fast as some of the other builds out there.
    Totaly agree, it isnt the fastest, and other classes also have little to no down time.

The thing i love about leveling with a Bard is the fact that you can keep 2-3 mobs on you the whole fight, as you kill one you just pull another to keep the mobs on you. Maybe its just my playsyle but i prefer to be kept under a degree of pressure while leveling otherwise its just pull one mob 1-1-1-1-1 pull next mob 1-1-1-1-1. That would bore me to death tbh.

If it wasnt for Trions unique take on souls and roles i probably wouldnt pick a Bard as my main, but the fact that i can level with a charcter that can survive under varied circumstanses and then as i level i can level up a character that is more of a glass canon but more fun to PvP with. Trion is giving us the best of both worlds here.

Reading the forums i constantly see posts telling people that their build sucks or that their build is the best, in any other MMO i would have to reroll to try out different builds where with RIFT none of us have to do that. There are no "one build beats all" here, every build is viable dependent on your playstyle.

I find a Bard to be "my" best leveling toon, and although they are more than viable in PvP i prefer other rogue builds to PvP with. Thats the beauty of this game in my eyes, somebody could kill me on my bard and then see me coming back one minute later expecting to have the same outcome, only to find that im no longer a Bard but an assassin looking for revenge
    Last edited by Arcticred; 02-22-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Soulwalker

So with the leveling, is it good to do bard primary? I don't think that I put many (if any) points in the bard soul. I guess what I need to do is familiarize myself with the bard soul tree a little more. Anyone have any suggestion? I like the thought of being able to handle 2+ mobs with frequency. I can't say that I had any luck with any other soul combo. If I didn't die, I'd be really close.

I agree with arcticred on the wonderful level of flexibility in soul choices after you acquire them all. Can't wait for Friday. Glad I'm off or I'd be calling in sick!

Shadowlander

Default no..

Bard is loud and extremely annoying..

Soulwalker

I was really stoked to make a Bard after loving it in EQ. However, I keep seeing threads like these pop up and fear everyone is going to role one :/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast