+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mages: End Game Warlocks will be Awesome

Shadowlander

Default Mages: End Game Warlocks will be Awesome

Warlocks are going to do ridiculous raid dps and good pvp dps.

I feel amidst beta complaining, no one is looking at the end of the warlock tree...

The part that no one can get to right now...
    51 points in warlock the warlock's damage will be increased by 85% (Em Darkness + Lock Armor) and the warlocks DOT damage will be increased by 125% (Neddras influence +Emp Darkness + Lock Armor)
    That means that end game a warlock DoT will be doing do literally MORE THAN DOUBLE DAMAGE scaled to the damage they have done so far.

PvP survivability is still suspect but Wither (a slow), Fear, and an instant cast mass fear will surely help with that.
    Helping you out with surviability in a less direct way in group pvp let's be honest, a lot of people are stupid and, because you will just be hanging out on the back lines and no one will see that many damaging abilities flying out of you at their group... people wont see pay you as much mind.

March 25th: I'm calling it. Mage complaints about being useless will turn into mage complaints about how they have to roll warlock if they want to do decent dps.
    --I have been waiting all these years for you to realize your potential.
    ----That's why you and I had friction? God, I always thought it was 'cause I fooled around with your daughter freshman year.
    --Why wou... you fooled around with my daughter?
    ----Whaaaat??

Keep in mind that the 51 point ability drains charge and has a 1 minute cooldown. It only works out to like a 15-20% overall DPS increase I'd say.

It's still an amazing ability, especially for any fights where you need burst to deal with adds or something.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Keep in mind that the 51 point ability drains charge and has a 1 minute cooldown. It only works out to like a 15-20% overall DPS increase I'd say.

It's still an amazing ability, especially for any fights where you need burst to deal with adds or something.

Ah, I miss understood. I thought "Charge can not be gained while active" meant that it was a passive skill that prevented you from gaining any charge. And now that I look at other spells that wouldnt make any sense. Well that almost completely voids my argument except that I still feel as though Locks will do very good dps at max level.
    ----That's why you and I had friction? God, I always thought it was 'cause I fooled around with your daughter freshman year.
    ----Whaaaat??

Quote Originally Posted by Aingel View Post
    Ah, I miss understood. I thought "Charge can not be gained while active" meant that it was a passive skill that prevented you from gaining any charge. And now that I look at other spells that wouldnt make any sense. Well that almost completely voids my argument except that I still feel as though Locks will do very good dps at max level.
    Oh they will. And having a +75% damage cooldown is better than a passive 15-20% damage boost most of the time anyway. If your group spends a third of the time moving, setting up for pulls, rebuffing, etc. then you'll have the cooldown up probably half of the time you're actually in combat, which makes it a 38% improvement in your total damage. There will be plenty of 51 point warlock builds that are very competitive DPS.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Quote Originally Posted by Aingel View Post
    Warlocks are going to do ridiculous raid dps and good pvp dps.

I feel amidst beta complaining, no one is looking at the end of the warlock tree...

The part that no one can get to right now...
    51 points in warlock the warlock's damage will be increased by 85% (Em Darkness + Lock Armor) and the warlocks DOT damage will be increased by 125% (Neddras influence +Emp Darkness + Lock Armor)
    That means that end game a warlock DoT will be doing do literally MORE THAN DOUBLE DAMAGE scaled to the damage they have done so far.

PvP survivability is still suspect but Wither (a slow), Fear, and an instant cast mass fear will surely help with that.
    Helping you out with surviability in a less direct way in group pvp let's be honest, a lot of people are stupid and, because you will just be hanging out on the back lines and no one will see that many damaging abilities flying out of you at their group... people wont see pay you as much mind.

March 25th: I'm calling it. Mage complaints about being useless will turn into mage complaints about how they have to roll warlock if they want to do decent dps.
    I totally agree with everything you said, besides the march 25th part. Im definitely gonna be 50 before that LOLLL!

Just to get this started before anyone else when a warlock 50 starts running around-

OMG NERF

But seriously, that's awesome that mages get that dps option.
    Last edited by Brizyrr; 02-22-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Rift Disciple

quote:
    "51 points in warlock the warlock's damage will be increased by 85% (Em Darkness + Lock Armor)"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget "Dark Armor" that adds 10% to spell damage..that makes it 95%

Rift Disciple

Just curious...what other souls will you guys be running with Warlock, i really like the look of the warlock tree but i cant really decide what else to go with. Maybe Necro and Dominator for the extra pet dps and the CC?

Hope this works out for Warlocks at level 50.
    I'm not impressed with the dot damage so far, even when they crit.
    Legolas - Rogue - Imperium

Plane Touched

Well I seriously hope that it WILL make a difference, since dots, right now, are pitiful to say the least. Personally I am either going mage or rogue (loved my BD/riftstalker build, unkiteable, and so many ways to kill stuff is pretty neat). However, warlock and stormcaller main souls appeal to me in the way they are supposed to work.

I am probably going to level both callings to 50 before I decide on a main :P.

Rift Chaser

These powers are dispellable. Necromancers will own you. Infact... i'd go so far as to say that a necromancer could one shot a warlock. Unless that warlock is quick and savvy, then it'll take more than 1 shot...
    Last edited by DarkDain; 02-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac4 View Post
    Just curious...what other souls will you guys be running with Warlock, i really like the look of the warlock tree but i cant really decide what else to go with. Maybe Necro and Dominator for the extra pet dps and the CC?

For pve I have been thinking about
    <a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwq.eeRAkqqek.xzc.Vz">Warlock (51) / Necromancer (9) / Elemental Summoner (6)</a>

A lot of people are doing necro/chloro for the 10%dam + another dot, I prefer the crit.
    ----Whaaaat??

Telaran

There are also a ton of classes at 50 that will have the ability to remove all curses, essentially negating the ~10 seconds it takes to stack all those DoTs on someone.

Rift Disciple

No, locks won't be OP. Have you actually tested how DOT damage scales with gear? Didn't think so.

Not saying they won't be decent, but they won't be OP. DOT damage scales worse than just about any other form of damage in the game. Duration is not taken into account, only initial cast time (normalized to 1.5 seconds in the cast of instants).

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac4 View Post
    That seems to be pretty standard. 17 points into Necro gets you Purge which is an incredible skill. Dom can be your 3rd, zero point soul for the squirrel. There's many options of course (and many builds posted in this forum), but one I'd suggest at least during leveling is 2 points in Dom for Thunder Blast - not for the damage but the huge knockback.

It's pretty obvious the main 3 souls on live will be Warlock, Necro and Dominator, probably for both PvE and PvP.
    Last edited by Cblaze; 02-22-2011 at 11:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread