+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding the healer class for me

Soulwalker

Default Finding the healer class for me

Alright to start things off, I'm going to be playing on a pvp shard in a large guild focused on both end game pve and pvp. I am likely going to participate in every aspect of the game, however I know most of my time will be spent in open world pvp with 2 of my RL buddies who are more than likely rolling warrior and a rogue.

So here is my dilemma, I've played cleric up to 25ish and chloro up to 30 in the past 3 beta events and I'm really no where near making my decision for what I want to play come thursday. I find that clerics are way way WAY better at healing groups of 5 or more in pvp or pve situations because there is more than 1 target taking significant damage. Chloro's are probably better in 5 man dungeons due to the fact that the only health bar you really have to pay attention to is the tank, because any healing you do for him will top off any dps (save any dps pulling aggro on elite mobs for extended periods of time).

So, when I went out with my buds in our 3 man team for some world pvp, as the chloro i found us doing extremely well when we were against up to about 5 people. I was able to stay back and heal just fine, with my dps making a pretty significant difference in the fight, our warrior went in first got most of the attention and then my rogue starting blowing people up. Which was fine, right? Right.

Then word got out to our guild (we had people on the other side in our guild gettin ownd by us) that we were doing well in world pvp. So about 15 minutes later our group of 3 went to a raid with 8 people going up against our other guildies + others which was anywhere from 5-20 people at a time (we were guardians in stonefield). I now found myself being way less capable of healing people. I could only throw synthesis on 1 person, and with it being on a 30 sec cd it really isn't meant to be switched in combat. I generally kept it on our tank who tried his best to get people's attention...however we werent dealing with randoms anymore so my rogue bud kept gettin focused. Even with synthesis on him I couldn't keep him up. Even the damage I was throwing out felt useless because it was just healing through extremely easily.

The way I look at it is, chloro's are the best healer for a 5 man dungeon. Added dps is nice, get some nice utility from their other souls, and its not just watching and waiting for healbars to go down. Clerics are going to be the best for large situations where there are multiple people taking significant damage, IE large scale pvp.

Basically, what I'm asking is; does anyone have an opinion on smaller scale world pvp healers? Does the cleric have any decent souls to compliment their healing souls with some utility (cc, stuns, roots, w/e)?

Also on a side note, people say that the dps cleric can do pretty okay. But does it have to be their primary soul in order to be pretty okay? Would be nice to have the option to throw in some chloro esq. dps while I'm healing even if I don't get heals in return for it. Not to mention the fact that chloro's can just switch roles into some more than pretty okay dps if need be.

Cleric is definitely the healing class in this game no matter how people look at it. THe two main healing souls for clerics are Sentinel and Warden.
    Sentinel is the big AOE healer and some burst heals, while warden is like the chilling healer with HoT and some decent cast heals.
    IMO, as a lvl 42 Cleric in the betas who have tried all the souls in the cleric class, if you want to be able to heal and dps at the same time. Get Inqusitor, thats the DPS soul for cleric, mostly single target DPS and if you want insane AOE damage, get Cabalist. THen you could mix any of these trees or even both of these trees with a Warden or a Sentinel. Believe me, a geared Inqusitor or Cabalist can top anyone's dps in this game.

Be aware, the most you play a cleric the more you will love it.
    Last edited by Sharpsmile; 02-22-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Soulwalker

This is the kind of post I needed! Thanks for your input.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

Sentinel paired with druid and warden is actually really nice for healing in pvp. You get all the big heals with sent and lots of little tricks from the others, druids a shield spell that absorbs tons of physical dmg, slumber which puts stuff to sleep like a mez, a silence, aoe root, a nice instant dd that can have a snare added with talents, and the pet that will keep on healing everyone in your party even if you are silenced, sapped, whatever. Warden you'll get a huge knockback on a very short cooldown, multiple HoT's, etc. And inquisitor is really nice too, it feels like playing a mage in chainmail, when I tried it it easily put out as much dmg as my mage did at the same lvl, with 5x the survivability. I see purifier as the main raid/massive boss healer though, they have a ton of shields and huge heals/reactive heals and stuff and almost 0 other utility. Too many good cleric options!
    Last edited by Relair; 02-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.

If you know you want to be a healer, but you're not quite sure exactly what you want to be, cleric is most definitely the best choice. You have so many different options and playstyles. As you play, you'll find which you prefer and which works best in certain situations. If you get bored of healing, clerics can do pretty well in other roles too.

In comparison, if you are a mage (or a bard), you're stuck with that one soul for healing.

Soulwalker

In my experience (Had a lv. 30 cleric and a 19 mage in beta) I really can't imagine you going as anything but a cleric if your focus is healing. Sentinel, warden and purifier all supply different healing aspects and the ability to switch between them will, I am almost positive, be a massive boon in alot of endgame PvE encounters. Though you lack the reliable damage output of a chloromancer, what you gain is the ability to handle almost any kind of healing required for an encounter: shielding, AoE cleansing, mass HoTs, reliable mass heal crits and similar.

Another issue I would have with rolling chloromancer as a main healer is that we know nothing of the content of endgame instances/raids yet, and thus no guarantee that there won't be encounters where spammable AOE heals, dependable shields, strong HOTs or similar won't be close to necessary to complete encounters, and since mages have no other healing trees, having chloro as main healer would make those encounters far harder than they needed to be.

Soulwalker

I played a cleric up to lvl 37 and like you I rolled around with a warrior and a rogue. I found purifier/sentinal to be perfect.

I throw some premeptive buffs from purifier on both, then use shields/blessings on one while using instant cast heals on the other if needed. It worked very well for the 3 of us.

The Cleanses from the purifier are also very nice, as your opponents take their GCD timers to dot up your warrior and you cleanse them all with one skill.

Here is the build I was using. Will be interesting to see what endgame healing is like.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10jGe.i0x.ExkVItzoz

Shadowlander

I def agree with the above post. Also purifier is (at least in my experience) great for both 5 mans and also small pvp groups. You get a get 3 different strength heals, a shield you and one for ally, and some very nice life saving buffs (I forget the name, but it heals the target when hp drops below 30%). So it very easy to keep up heals on the MT for a 5 man. I also used 0 pt warden just for the HoT plus the insta heal from sentinel. For world pvp I used the same setup and worked great in a small group.

I found that in WF I could easily top the healing chart with warden/sentinel. There are some really nice abilities higher in the warden tree (make your heals more effective for a short time /make single heals become group heals). I also found group heals useless because they're so mana expensive and most of the time the entire team isn't taking the same amount of dmg.

As for being offensive, there are several combos depending on your play style. The one I really played around with was cabby and inq, which required them to be main and basically made me a caster with almost no heals other than for my own survival. I also found that to be really good in pvp in terms of being able to kill and do dmg.

Personally I just setup two different roles depending on what I want to do.

Soulwalker

The buff is called latent blaze and does a big heal on the ally when they drop below 30% health. you can keep this buff on yourself and your 2 allies. The buff has a 45s CD but last 5 mins.

+ Reply to Thread