+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help picking a class to play

Champion of Telara

Default Need some help picking a class to play

I did not get to play much in Beta and found myself overwhelmed by the spec variety. I thought if I explained my play style and what I enjoyed in other MMOs, some folks might have some advice.

Of the MMOs I have played extensively, my favorite classes by far were:

1. LotRO - Loremaster spec sword and fire
    2. DAoC - Cabalist tri spec
    3. WAR - Warrior Priest spec DPS

So as you can see I like cloth classes with good single target DPS that boost survivability through self heals, pets, and some utility.

Probably the most indispensable skill to me is that DPS + Heal combo such as Cabbie life taps, Loremaster flank heal procs, and WP damage + self heal. I like the utility to be enough that the smart application of things like CC and debuffs will give me survivability as well as group utility. Heals can serve this role too.

I prefer pets but do not consider them an absolute essential. I typically use pets to pull, peel, and kite, and as added damage, not as my primary damage. In PvP I use them to harass opponents rather than kill them. A typical solo pull tactic might be to root one of a group of three equal level, sic my pet on the second, and DPS down the third, then finish the one with my pet as the CC wears off.

In PvP I don't typically solo and like my role to be 2/3 damage and 1/3 utility (backup healing, single target CC to support healers, debuffs, and pet peels). Roughly the same goes for PvE groups, I enjoy mostly doing damage but having a little utility so I can be useful.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I loved all three of the classes I listed above and enjoyed them immensely, probably the Loremaster most of all. I don't mind waiting for all of my skills to develop until later in the a game, even if that means I have to struggle early on.

Thanks for any advice!

It's not brain surgery. Read about the classes and make something you think you'll like.

Take a chance and make a decision on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampss View Post
    It's not brain surgery. Read about the classes and make something you think you'll like.

Take a chance and make a decision on your own.

with all the options .. all the possible classes .. it is!!! it is a brain surgery =p and u are an 1 handed doctor

Champion of Telara

It seems like that perception is relative to me. I am pretty dumb and lazy as well, so this is all sort of brain srugeryish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    It seems like that perception is relative to me. I am pretty dumb and lazy as well, so this is all sort of brain srugeryish to me.

read all classes as he said.
    Don't look for posts like "is it op" or "i don't like this or that"

just read.

if u played beta think about what u enjoied. If not, compare those souls with the others from other games that u like.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

this link if for a soul tree builder, u can see all the skills and combinations. Can help u to see what the classes do

Soulwalker

1 possibility would be a warlock/chloro/(nero or ele for pet). The warlock has some self healing the the chloro is more of a group AoE healing. If you want a pet I would probally go nero since the death dmg bonus has more sinergy with the warlock.

One thing to keep in mind though is you will be able to get all the souls for a calling by lvl 20 or so, and a second role (set of 3 souls) for around 3-4 gold. Then you will be able to choose between any of the souls to really expore what you would like.

Telaran

LotRO loremaster here. I've been playing cleric in beta (my main was minstrel) but I'm looking at Dominator/Warlock/Chloromancer build as it seems closest to LM playstyle that I enoyed only minus the pet. Dom=CC; Warlock=DPS; Chloro=Heals/DPS

You could probably pick a pet class to replace Warlock in that build and get more of a LM "pet build." On my LM I tend to run with lynx for PvP and focus more on group support/CC/DPS rather than flank and spank. The great thing about the soul system is that if you decide you want to respec with another soul just reset your points and add it! There are quests that allow you to unlock each of the various souls for each class so its easy to change your build here.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    I did not get to play much in Beta and found myself overwhelmed by the spec variety. I thought if I explained my play style and what I enjoyed in other MMOs, some folks might have some advice.

Of the MMOs I have played extensively, my favorite classes by far were:

1. LotRO - Loremaster spec sword and fire
    2. DAoC - Cabalist tri spec
    3. WAR - Warrior Priest spec DPS

So as you can see I like cloth classes with good single target DPS that boost survivability through self heals, pets, and some utility.

Probably the most indispensable skill to me is that DPS + Heal combo such as Cabbie life taps, Loremaster flank heal procs, and WP damage + self heal. I like the utility to be enough that the smart application of things like CC and debuffs will give me survivability as well as group utility. Heals can serve this role too.

I prefer pets but do not consider them an absolute essential. I typically use pets to pull, peel, and kite, and as added damage, not as my primary damage. In PvP I use them to harass opponents rather than kill them. A typical solo pull tactic might be to root one of a group of three equal level, sic my pet on the second, and DPS down the third, then finish the one with my pet as the CC wears off.

In PvP I don't typically solo and like my role to be 2/3 damage and 1/3 utility (backup healing, single target CC to support healers, debuffs, and pet peels). Roughly the same goes for PvE groups, I enjoy mostly doing damage but having a little utility so I can be useful.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I loved all three of the classes I listed above and enjoyed them immensely, probably the Loremaster most of all. I don't mind waiting for all of my skills to develop until later in the a game, even if that means I have to struggle early on.

Thanks for any advice!
    tldr

go rge everyone is doing it.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aeth View Post
    LotRO loremaster here. I've been playing cleric in beta (my main was minstrel) but I'm looking at Dominator/Warlock/Chloromancer build as it seems closest to LM playstyle that I enoyed only minus the pet. Dom=CC; Warlock=DPS; Chloro=Heals/DPS

You could probably pick a pet class to replace Warlock in that build and get more of a LM "pet build." On my LM I tend to run with lynx for PvP and focus more on group support/CC/DPS rather than flank and spank. The great thing about the soul system is that if you decide you want to respec with another soul just reset your points and add it! There are quests that allow you to unlock each of the various souls for each class so its easy to change your build here.

Have fun!
    Thanks! I have limited ability to use the soul calculator here, but from what I can gather I see three possibilities:

1) Mage combo of Warlock, Chloro, and X. I was thinking Necro, but your post has me reconsidering it.

2) Bard, Ranger, Rift Stalker - Definitely like the Bard's utility and DD + AoE heal. Not at all a fan of Bows, so I will have to see if it can be made to work so that I only focus on the pet abilities in Ranger.

3) Cleric combo starting with Druid.

I will have to go through these when I can access the soul builder, it doesn't work well on a phone.

+ Reply to Thread