+ Reply to Thread

Thread: good support...

Soulwalker

Default good support...

Hi guys & gals,

I only played rift about 2 weeks in OB.. but I rly liked it and ofc pre-ordered.. I'm not the kind of player that enjoys playing a hardcore dps class that pwns in pvp, I rather play a solid support class that is needed in raids/PVE and is a good strong asset to PVP.

So far I barely had time to really test Rift out as I would've liked so now i'm wondering what class I should start playing when headstart goes live...
    I got a cleric sentinel to lvl24 and I liked it.. it's a solid healer... I also started a bard rogue the last day of OB so i only tested this for like 6 lvls and it seemed nice as well...

My background of MMO's = oldschool hardcore Lineage2 player, and mediocre WoW player... As far as I was able to test Rift out, for me it has the best of these 2 MMO's combined, and I didn't notice any of the downsides L2 or WoW has so far.. In wow for example I got a priest to max lvl, which I enjoyed, but at the end I noticed I would have enjoyed a druid much more but couldn't be arsed to lvl one up again... This is what I want to prevent in Rift.

In L2 buffers were really important, in wow you didn't have a real buffer class.. As far as I noticed a bard is a buffer class.. but is it a needed buffer class? or more like WoW style buffs that arn't really that important?

So if I could get some realistic feedback from the Rift community, that would be much appreciated!

1) I want a solid support class, A tank or Healer would be the obvious choice.. however, is there another option that is really worth it? Like a bard? Or any other sugestions?
    2) The bard and it's buffs is it really going to matter in end game content for raids and/or pvp?
    3) What other options do I have for a real support class?

thanks in advance!

Bards are a darn good buffing class so if that's what you're looking for it wouldn't be a bad choice. Other options are Archon from the mage calling and Warlord from warrior. I've only actually played bard myself so I can't give you specifics on the other two but I've looked at the soul trees and they seem valid.

On your question as to how necessary they'll be i listened to an interview on riftpodcast that said raiding would be built around the idea that all buffs were present in the group, so i would imagine you would be quite welcom as a support class.
    Last edited by Valka; 02-22-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Valka View Post
    Bards are a darn good buffing class so if that's what you're looking for it wouldn't be a bad choice. Other options are Archon from the mage calling and Warlord from warrior. I've only actually played bard myself so I can't give you specifics on the other two but I've looked at the soul trees and they seem valid.

On your question as to how necessary they'll be i listened to an interview on riftpodcast that said raiding would be built around the idea that all buffs were present in the group, so i would imagine you would be quite welcom as a support class.
    thx for the response!

Yeah it looks like that.. but for example a healer is always needed and you simply can't go without.. that's what I like, cause I will always have something to do when i'm not in the mood to pvp or the other way around.. The bard I didn't get the chance to really test out.. so i'm wondering a bit if it's gonna be a really welcome class or just something in between that's nice to have but nobody cares if there isn't one..

And on another note, if I go bard, will people expect me to be a dmg dealer on raids and such, cause I really don't care too much about playing a real dmg dealer.. So if they expect a dmg dealer another class is a better choice.. so then a bard will be left out as well..

I just didn't get the more advanced or end game feel of the bard, so i have no clue what it's gonna be like..

Quote Originally Posted by illaa View Post
    thx for the response!

Yeah it looks like that.. but for example a healer is always needed and you simply can't go without.. that's what I like, cause I will always have something to do when i'm not in the mood to pvp or the other way around.. The bard I didn't get the chance to really test out.. so i'm wondering a bit if it's gonna be a really welcome class or just something in between that's nice to have but nobody cares if there isn't one..

And on another note, if I go bard, will people expect me to be a dmg dealer on raids and such, cause I really don't care too much about playing a real dmg dealer.. So if they expect a dmg dealer another class is a better choice.. so then a bard will be left out as well..

I just didn't get the more advanced or end game feel of the bard, so i have no clue what it's gonna be like..

If you want to be needed, roll tank or healer. Bard is really handy to have in 5mans, but not "needed"

If you go bard, people will expect support from you. Buffs, debuffs, aoe heals. You will add some DPS and improve everyone's DPS. But they wont ask DPS from you. You will improve healer's healing, and heal quite a bit yourself, but none will ask you to main heal.

Bards are support class. No DPS, no Healer, no tank. Our job is to make everyone perform far better. We can turn an average group in a good one. A good group in an awesome group. Be lucky enough to end in an already awesome group, and you will just /faceroll through the dungeon ;)

Well, the only two actual support classes are bard and archon. Warlord is kind of a support class, but its not classified as one.

Rogues have a tank soul also thats quite good (best tank at lower levels, dont know about endgame)
    Mages have a healer soul that is great (probably the best single target sustained HPS, but lacking ways to react to a bad situation)

So rogue or mage will give you a support option and a healer or tank option.

Clerics can heal or tank but cant really support.

Soulwalker

@erhnam

thx, that's helpfull, since i don't want to be a real dps character, I want to be a support character.. So in that aspect I like it.. I just wonder when I reach end game content or max lvl and need to divide time between raiding and pve'ing for gear and PVP I wonder if I can bring enough to pvp..

The PVE part is clear to me a bard is a usefull asset..

@vabjekf

I concider a healer or real tank as support as well.. since they support a group.. especially a healer.. I have always liked playing a healer.. I really enjoyed playing the sentinel.. but since i'm going to have to start over again i'm not sure I want to role a cleric sentinel again.. I would want to test something else as well.. So that's why I want to learn more about a bard or other support options from people that have more experience with it..

I also HATE the fact that often the case is that when you are forming a group.. dps is always easy to find, but a good tank or healer is often the problem for making groups.. Has been that way in every MMO, so I don't see why it would be any different here..

these are reasons why I have doubt going healer or trying the bard...

Also I absolutely hate lvling especially when I have a high lvl character.. I can't be arsed to do it again... So I want to make the right choice from the start.. the right choice for me that is.. that's why i'm trying to get as much info as possible..

You should take a look at the mage souls as they may offer the variety you are looking for.

With mage you will get,
    • Chloromancer which is the healing soul
    • Archon supplies group buffs
    • Dominator has fantastic crowd control

Mage also has 2 pet classes if you enjoy those and of course dps souls as well.

@vabjekf

I concider a healer or real tank as support as well.. since they support a group..
    Well everything is support if you want to stretch it=P Support typically means buffs/debuffs/cc/force multiplication

Telaran

Bards will not be needed at any point...
    BUT in 20/25 men raids... why not get a bard? sure they do less dps... but they can heal, and improve everyone else with its buffs ^^ i normally get an bard for my 5 mans just because they are awesome
    Last edited by ScorpionDK; 02-22-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the input so far.. I still would love to hear more input so be my guest

I read through the chloromancer and dominator spells, eventho they have some cool skills and it looks promising, i'm not sure i'm going to like the playstyle.. Cloth combined with healing and debuffing is 2 magelike one way or sounds weakish as a healer the other way.. eventho I could be wrong it doesn't give me the right feel..

I'm pretty sure, if I continue as a healer I'll go sentinel with the 2 recommended souls, warden and purifier, if i'm not mistaking. That was pretty solid and gave me plenty of healing possibilities for different situations, and i'm sure i'll be a good asset to any situation even end game.

However the more I read from you guys and the more I look into the bard situation it sounds very promising as well... And here there are more possibilities to lvl faster while soloing.. So i'm still at doubt.. The full on bard option apeals to me the most as a support and that is eventually what I want.. and the 2 other options I could take are kinda new to me since I never played rogue style characters.. So either i'll have fun playing them and will discover another playingstyle or it will be the opposite ;)

Thanks for the input so far.. I still would love to hear more input so be my guest

I read through the chloromancer and dominator spells, eventho they have some cool skills and it looks promising, i'm not sure i'm going to like the playstyle.. Cloth combined with healing and debuffing is 2 magelike one way or sounds weakish as a healer the other way.. eventho I could be wrong it doesn't give me the right feel..

I'm pretty sure, if I continue as a healer I'll go sentinel with the 2 recommended souls, warden and purifier, if i'm not mistaking. That was pretty solid and gave me plenty of healing possibilities for different situations, and i'm sure i'll be a good asset to any situation even end game.

However the more I read from you guys and the more I look into the bard situation it sounds very promising as well... And here there are more possibilities to lvl faster while soloing.. So i'm still at doubt.. The full on bard option apeals to me the most as a support and that is eventually what I want.. and the 2 other options I could take are kinda new to me since I never played rogue style characters.. So either i'll have fun playing them and will discover another playingstyle or it will be the opposite ;)

Lets see if I can provide you a bit more info (so you can be even more undecided :P )

I started in B7, after reading a bit about the classes and everything, and since I coudnt find a Lotro-Burglar type character (rogue-ish class, but is a debuffer, not a dps class,), I chose the Bard, that seemed a good jack of all trades too

Levelling was a breeze, even taking into account that I was new to the game. You are self sufficient - you do not use mana, your resource bar fills up within seconds. You are healing yourself when you are attacking (via cadence). If you need more healing, you have the healing coda. You have your motifs to make stuff die more easily. You have some aoe power if needed. Yeah, things may take a bit longer to die than with other classes, but you will never die if you dont do anything stupid, so you dont loose any time corpse running

I got up to level 30. Did Fae with another bard, 2 more DPS and a tank, no healer. Man, it was fun. Sadly the tank died two times in the run, in two different bosses. Yeah, even two bards coudnt keep him alive (I think we didnt have the healing finisher yet).
    Then I did DD, and the cleric told me that he just used a few warden hots during trash on tank, and was happily DPSing in the while. He only had to heal on bosses. And never had to heal anyone else except the tank. Of course it was a better than average group, good tank, good dpsers.

In WF I could topped a few healing metters, but good clerics would smash me. I was feeling more useful with my motifs than my healing. (also got an assassing build just to try stuff, was fun to be dangerous to the opposite side and being able to gank people )

Then I rolled a cleric, when inq/cab/warden. She killed faster than the bard, but I had to pay a lot more attention. She could AoE rather well, but had to keep healing myself. Dropped Cab for sentinel and it was a lot safer, I lost AoE power, but my single target DPS was the same, and far more survivable.
    I specced puri/sent/warden and I was a healing machine. Shields for me, instant hot, instant heal, 2 targeted heal + another targeter heal+hot. I could heal like there is no tomorrow and was really hard to kill me (of course, no mana drain at those levels - 18/19)

And last day of beta I tried and Ele/Chloro mage who promised to be really fun, I want to have a serious look at it as a healer But for now, Ill stay with my bard

Soulwalker

thx

Eventho I got the bard only to lvl 6 it lvl'd much faster then my sentinel, or at least that's how it felt to me..

I think I basically need to decide I want to be a full on healer or a buffer with offhealing options..

Hopefully I get a few more opinions that can help me

Probably I like both classes.. so.. who knows.. if the lvling goes easy enough i'll make 2 characters I dunno.. we'll see..

+ Reply to Thread