+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help on deciding class

Soulwalker

Default Need help on deciding class

TL;DR version: Want to do Melee AoE damage. Don't have fun with sab or feel it is melee. Trying to decide between shaman/ sentinel and riftstalker/ bladedancer. Problem with riftstalker is that I don't want to be able to put up good dps numbers in groups and not be overlooked as a dps clas. Problem with shaman is that I don't want to be strictly a healer endgame. PvE > PvP for me.

So I just finished the open beta, playing around with a bunch of classes. I now can't decide what I want to play come launch in 3 days so I am coming to you all for help!

First of all the style of play that I like most is AoE melee dps, which usually leads me to the roque archetype. In EQ2 I was a Swashbuckler and in Warhammer I was a Slayer, to give you an idea. Due to this I first went to the Sabo, but the style doesn't excite me that much. I find the adding 5 charges then detonate thing a little too repetitive, and I am not really melee-ing.

I next tried a shaman/ sentinel cleric, i found it pretty fun, and they do get some AoE abilities down the road, and I like the idea of AoE melee with AoE healing as well for a build.

Since then I have been going through all the souls looking for AoE melee, it seems like the riftstalker may have some of the best (hits the most targets) (excluding the bladedancer's final ability) and the survivability and teleportation abilities are quite attractive. The thing I am concerned with is that I do not really want to be a tank, I like big dps numbers and I am afraid because both the riftstalker AoEs build threat, and the healers in rift events in my experience have been a little lackluster so I am afraid of getting facerolled after some AoEs. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try this riftstalker build in beta so if anyone has any experience I would greatly appreciate it.

The cleric is attractive because healers are usually underplayed and needed for groups, and also teh survivability when solo questing is amazing...but I am afraid in the endgame I will just be asked to spec heavy healing...

Also I am more interested in PvE than PvP.

Link to riftstalker/ bladedancer idea:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...qdRozo.EVdV0oM
    OR
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0M.EV0VzooRhkz

Link to shaman/ sentinel build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...zrsAk.E0xuMs0o

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Sasuli; 02-21-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Soulwalker

bump

no one has any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuli View Post
    bump

no one has any suggestions?
    nightblade/bladedancer

Soulwalker

Nightblade/Bladedancer and poss bard for leveling. I know pet souls /w range are prob faster zero downtime levelers but i liked getting dirty.

10 point root NB skill is a nice 8 target aoe.

I too have been toying with the idea of a deep riftstalker/night/Infil balls on point PvP spec. Porting about, hit and run, keep em from capping. More a support team role that a killer maybe. Stun, snare, interupt, kite, ranged dps while being immune to snare and stuns and not being able to be touched by other melee. Would be twitchy i guess. Its all in my head but would love to try it out or watch someone doing it well.

So many options, love the fact i dont have to grind 8 alts to have a change of flavour.

+ Reply to Thread