+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else troubled deciding between Warrior Tank and Cleric Tank?

Default Anyone else troubled deciding between Warrior Tank and Cleric Tank?

I cant make up my mind!

I played a warrior tank paladin up to 19 in beta. that was as far as i wanted to go without spoiling to much. I tanked Iron Tomb at level 16, squishy at 16 but most of the dungeon was what, level 17-20 elites.

I did play a Cleric tank up to 8 and didn't do any REAL tanking but man i kinda like being a Justicar alot, with the whole spell power tanking mechanics

Advantages of being a cleric is i can do all 3 roles, and warrior just 2 roles...

I'm having a really hard time deciding....

Any thoughts?

My concern would be can mein of leaership compensate for A: The extra health all warrior tanks get for points spent in their souls and B: the difference in gear, especially at end game.

Now i can totally see Justicar tanking most of the game content, but i a mnot sure about the raids, especially as they said the raids were also tiered, and maybe that will tell in end game raiding, guess the only way to know would be to try, but if you only want to do tanking, a warrior may be a safer bet as we know that will be able to, if you see what i mean ?

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

I tried both also, warrior to 19 Justi to 23, by far the most fun I had was the Justicar. Boht seemed to tank as effectively as each other at this level.

The thing is that as a Justicar, you should also consider the fact that you are a cleric and there will be sometimes that you should maybe run a healing build for the groups sake. This is my intention I will aim to be the tank most of the time, but when the time comes im not against switching to a healing build.

so if you want to have that flexability, then cleric would be the way to go. The warrior has its own pros and that is somthing you have to consider. For me, it is about having fun in the role I like to do, and that is to tank.

Will Justicars be effective tanks at endgame? only time will tell, but that is somthing im willing to test out for the sake of loveing this class to play.

bah both of you making decision harder!

both valid points though

Quote Originally Posted by funk View Post

The thing is that as a Justicar, you should also consider the fact that you are a cleric and there will be sometimes that you should maybe run a healing build for the groups sake.
    This. Ppls all the time tries to tell that there is no classes but souls, so why we should heal if we roll cleric?

I can't decide too justicar or warrior, but not bc of tanking abilities, but bc i will want dps too, imo shaman is good at this, but will ppls accept shaman(cleric) as melee dps, i doubt?

I want to like Justicar but honestly it seems boring.

As a Pally/Reaver/Warlord heavy into Warlord you have a huge pile of abilities to weave and all kinds of utility and buffs to do.

As a Justicar you hit censure every 15 seconds, sovereignty every 20, DoA every 15, PoR every 15 and toss in either a self heal, group heal, or DoV to use your convictions. Other than that you're spamming SoJ.

That would get very boring very quickly. On the warrior tank you've got retaliation and face slam off the GCD, 3 dots, the ability to spread your dots, aggresive block, empowering strike, leader's mark, pacifying strike, dire blow then all the warlord 'finishers' that buff your raid...

If you went heavy pally/reaver rather than warlord you change out buffs for more aoe utility...

In the end, while I see a Justicar as sorta nifty it also looks boring as hell. If you had a fight where you needed 2 tanks to tank 2 big guys having a Warlord heavy tank and a Justicar makes a lot of sense. If your 2nd tank needs to AoE tank then a Pally/Reaver is better than the Justicar while also having a lot more fun with all their fun buttons...while the Justicar spams Even Justice until that button breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Acex View Post
    I can't decide too justicar or warrior, but not bc of tanking abilities, but bc i will want dps too, imo shaman is good at this, but will ppls accept shaman(cleric) as melee dps, i doubt?
    They will but there's an even more boring class than Justicar. Lightning hammer every 6 seconds, spam crushing blow until massive blow comes off cooldown. Repeat. That's it. You're doing all you're going to do in a boss fight. If there's AoE you get one ability to spam that only hits 3 targets and another on a 10 second cooldown. Oh man, look out you're really working now.
    Last edited by OdinTGE; 02-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Shadowlander

This. Ppls all the time tries to tell that there is no classes but souls, so why we should heal if we roll cleric?

admittedly, i would take a dps warrrior or rogue over a shaman any day. if you choose a justicar plan on healing on a regular basis. that said, i'm planning on using a justicar/shaman spec as my primary solo spec and then using a healing build for group Pve/PvP.

i agree that warrior tanks will almost certainly be better at high end raids, and the fact is that if that isn't needed then you can always dish out as durable melee dps. the 40% reduction to outside healing as an effect of mean of leadership worries me too.

i wish they would take the justicar and make it a 2h melee tank, all based on parry - simply because the block mechanics on them are crap with block mitigation being str based (which clerics don't have/stack)

i guess whats really stopping me is fact that I can do the most two desired roles in a mmo at anytime... tank and heal...

but warrior tanking also means i can dps some too.

decisions decisions... but i think its going to come down to warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinTGE View Post
    They will but there's an even more boring class than Justicar. Lightning hammer every 6 seconds, spam crushing blow until massive blow comes off cooldown. Repeat. That's it. You're doing all you're going to do in a boss fight. If there's AoE you get one ability to spam that only hits 3 targets and another on a 10 second cooldown. Oh man, look out you're really working now.
    You have said, in this one comment, everything I hate about the Shaman soul. Thank you for so well articulating it.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Prophet of Telara

I had this similar question and just a few days to figure out

I had a Paladin/Reaver tank up to 29, did both ROF and DD with no issues. Soloing was a bit of a pain as the Reaver self heals (Did 21 Reaver in a second role for the 150% heal) just weren't that strong and multiple mobs really dragged my health down.

I felt like making a Justicar to try it out and only got to 18 this morning, didn't get a chance to do ROF at all to see what that was like but leveling at least felt worlds easier having the heals and near infinite mana.

I am an endgamer though. While something might be "fun" if it doesn't help me and my friends effectively clear the content then I personally feel useless. So not entirely sure which tank to go with. (As an added plus Warrior in PvP was very fun). I also haven't seen many threads on the content that was out at 42 to gauge an opinion on either.

Also I think the stigma of "Cleric = Heal" would be annoying to listen to the first few months of this game. People are dense and won't understand different game is different.

Yarg

Soulwalker

I was debating over this, and I'm probably going to go Reaver/Paladin. I love the way Justicar plays, but I feel like I'd be more useful to my group as a Warrior. Plus, I don't want to end up ever getting pigeon-holed into healing.

In Vanilla WoW I rolled a Pally Tank even before they could tank, and my guild let me tank. In BC I was a tank, then as time went on I kept having to switch to healing more and more often. I want to totally avoid that possibility this time.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinTGE View Post
    I want to like Justicar but honestly it seems boring.

As a Pally/Reaver/Warlord heavy into Warlord you have a huge pile of abilities to weave and all kinds of utility and buffs to do.

As a Justicar you hit censure every 15 seconds, sovereignty every 20, DoA every 15, PoR every 15 and toss in either a self heal, group heal, or DoV to use your convictions. Other than that you're spamming SoJ.

That would get very boring very quickly. On the warrior tank you've got retaliation and face slam off the GCD, 3 dots, the ability to spread your dots, aggresive block, empowering strike, leader's mark, pacifying strike, dire blow then all the warlord 'finishers' that buff your raid...

If you went heavy pally/reaver rather than warlord you change out buffs for more aoe utility...

In the end, while I see a Justicar as sorta nifty it also looks boring as hell. If you had a fight where you needed 2 tanks to tank 2 big guys having a Warlord heavy tank and a Justicar makes a lot of sense. If your 2nd tank needs to AoE tank then a Pally/Reaver is better than the Justicar while also having a lot more fun with all their fun buttons...while the Justicar spams Even Justice until that button breaks.

U forgot Jolt and that another one skill after parry or miss.
    And all souls are are about to 3-5 button spam.

If anything ends up out tanking a warrior, the warrior community will go insane with nerd rage causing buffs to happen for warrior tanking souls.

If you want to be a raid MT, roll a warrior.

U forgot Jolt and that another one skill after parry or miss.
    And all souls are are about to 3-5 button spam.
    Boosting hit to hopefully a cap (we'll have to see that works out in Rift) will be more DPS. DPSing from behind means no parries. Jolt is out.

Fated blow after a dodge however is good I suppose. Still not likely to happen often.

I know all DPS always ends up with a few spells but it's nice when there's more to it than waiting on cool downs. There need to be procs to watch for, resources to manage, long (1-3 minute) cooldowns to use properly, etc. There needs to be a way for a good player to be good. If you can mash one button forever and hit another 2 almost at random and keep up that's not good design.

Champion of Telara

i've heard stories of warriors running around with 2k more armor and hp than justicars, i don't think justicars are going to be anything but offtanks for endgame progression.

now with that said they're gonna be damn good offtanks that can heal the group while they tank.

skills like the 51 point group heal and the battle res are going to make them invaluable. but their mitigation and hp just won't be in the same league the way things stand right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast