+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do players think all classes can do all roles

Default Do players think all classes can do all roles

So far I have only been on for last part of beta and fallen in love with this game.
    One thing I would like to ask and question is if all classes can fill all 3 core roles to a reasonable standard.
    So far In my eyes
    clerics can tank, heal and dps
    warriors can tank and dps
    mages can dps and heal
    rouges can dps, heal and tank

I personally love the Idea that everyone can fill every role but so far mages cant tank and warriors cant heal from what I can tell, and in my books if a rouge can tank why cant the others do the same?

Any one have any contradictions or any information?
    The Guardians are short sighted zealots who refuse to see the bigger picture, and the Defiant are so focused on the bigger picture that they take enormous risks.
    -- Renashin

Taffu's Epic Post http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...41#post1944341

Oh God. I hope Cadence gets nerfed so I'm no longer called a healer.
    Last edited by Marcato; 02-21-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Bard is good support.

Don't know if I would call them a healer.

And we all know rouges are just for making you look good
    Last edited by Mysza; 02-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.

when did we get Rouges in this game? is there a hidden skill tree i dont know about?

big deal, they spelled "rogue" as rouge..common enough to not act like a badass...

Rift Chaser

I'd actually kind of like to see an Arcane mage type, that can do tanking and support. He can focus on mana shield type tanking abilities.

yeah, bard is not a healer really, he's pure support, the aoe healing he does will never be enough to keep a tank up on a boss in a dungeon, it's great for topping up the rest of the group from aoe dmg and assisting a main healer though.

Soulwalker

Default Mage tanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDain View Post
    I'd actually kind of like to see an Arcane mage type, that can do tanking and support. He can focus on mana shield type tanking abilities.
    Only mage tank I know of is in Alganon, the Frost Mage. Pretty interesting, he's the AOE tank of the game.

I also wish a few more creative ideas for mage tanking would surface.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Telora View Post
    yeah, bard is not a healer really, he's pure support, the aoe healing he does will never be enough to keep a tank up on a boss in a dungeon, it's great for topping up the rest of the group from aoe dmg and assisting a main healer though.
    Bard is fine for a duo party as well, and can switch to cadence + restoration spam in dungeons if things are going rough. Otherwise I alternate between cadence and marksmen skills for dps and hit restoration if needed.

It would be pretty bad *** to have a Healer Warrior and Tank Mage soul.

I think Trion decided against it for pvp balance issues.

Mages with tank survivability? Warriors that can really heal?

Yeah... that would be an issue.

Shadowlander

You're all forgetting the fourth archetype. Support, as in Archon/Dominator/Bard, and Warlord to an extent (though it's main focus is tanking, according to Trion.)

Cleric- tank dps heal
    Rogue- tank dps support
    Warrior- tank dps support
    Mage- dps heal support

Lightbulb Here's how I decided toon roles

Since I also just joined Rift in time for this last Beta, I used this chart in order to decide the role I wanted to use: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3...driftchart.png.
    I think that there is great support for playability for any type of playing style, although I didn't really get into the PVP aspects much (and I concentrated on Warrior). I'm afraid we'll have to wait and see what kinds of changes will make it into the final release when it comes to class abilities and benefits, for instance I would love to see the Paladin soul as being capable of Healing other players...but I'll take what I can get. I enjoyed the game a lot as it stood in the Beta, and am not too worried about being "stuck" with limited character options (unlike other MMO's I've been playing with).

Quote Originally Posted by MenK View Post
    You're all forgetting the fourth archetype. Support, as in Archon/Dominator/Bard, and Warlord to an extent (though it's main focus is tanking, according to Trion.)

Cleric- tank dps heal
    Rogue- tank dps support
    Warrior- tank dps support
    Mage- dps heal support

If the warrior calling has a support soul in the Warlord then so does the Cleric calling with the Druid. So Cleric covers all four roles.

Default Bard as Support/Healer

Just saying that you are correct and on some points situationally. I would not rely on a single bard to heal a PVE dungeon (though it certainly helps as my wife plays a full heal cleric and I play a bard and she can definitely tell the difference when I am not in group with her), but I will say that when I PVP and use my bard spec I am ALWAYS within the top 3 in heals in every battle ground and have saved my teams a** very often. The reson for this difference is because 90% of the time there is no "TANK". Yes, yes I know Black Gardens everybody wants to kill the fang banger, but he has the most support anyways. 90% of the time the incoming damage is spread among everybody. That spread plays right into a bards strengths with regards to not only damage healing but damage mitigation as well due to motifs always being up, cadence, and resto. So I do think you could label the rogue soul as having a PVE Support and PVP Healer. Just my thoughts. Flame away.
    Last edited by Kaidiien; 02-22-2011 at 06:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread