+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forget what you know: Rift paradigms are not the same

Rift Chaser

Default Forget what you know: Rift paradigms are not the same

...and I don't really expect this to get nerfed. I think it's part of Trion's plan to break the old standard thinking.

Best tank in the game:
    Rogue.

And why not? Where's it written that warriors have to be the tanks? How many movies have been made where it's the quick footed guy who "tanks" the big monster? Now how many have been made where some guy in armor just stands there getting beat on? Well in Rift, the Rogue is the best "big boss" tanking class.

Warriors have better tanking utility and are better AE tanks, but for a single boss? I say rogue.

Best DPS in the game:
    Warrior.

No, seriously. Yes, I saw that "two button saboteur" video. I looked at this damage numbers and the amount of time it took him to deliver it and laughed because it's less than my "one button Riftblade".

And why not? Why shouldn't a warrior be able to be the main DPS? I sumbit to you that no soul in the game can out-DPS the Riftblade against 1-3 targets.

Rogues and mages have more utility, escape abilities and disruptive debuffs but for pure, straight on DPS, especially DPS while under attack, you aren't going to beat the Riftblade.

Really the only thing left intact from the Old Thinking is that "clerics are the best healers", but even that's debatable. I'd say clerics are the best single target healers. In a raid environment with a lot of AE going off, Bards and Chloromancers can outperform clerics.

So I sumbit to you that in Rift, these are the classes:

Rogue
    Best tanking

Mage
    Best utility and "special attacks" (AE, snares, roots, push-backs, etc)

Cleric
    Best single target healing

Warrior
    Best DPS

Plane Walker

Nope read the alpha patch notes. Order of best at launch will be:

Best tank:Rogue
    Best DPS:Rogue
    Best Support: Rogue
    Best Healer: Cleric

Rift Chaser

Read em.

Best support still mage. Bard AE healing is not exactly well rounded support.
    Best DPS will depend on what exactly happened to Flamespear. Taking the patch notes literally word for word indicates it's been buffed, which would be insane.

You're probably thinking of Saboteur but they are #1 burst damage, not #1 DPS.

Bard is still the best support. They don't just heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorano View Post
    Nope read the alpha patch notes. Order of best at launch will be:

Best tank:Rogue
    Best DPS:Rogue
    Best Support: Rogue
    Best Healer: Cleric
    This is correct, outside of encounters that are heavily magic based. In which case the warrior is the best tank.
    Last edited by Draemos; 02-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Read em.

Best support still mage. Bard AE healing is not exactly well rounded support.
    I'd take the current implementation of the Bard. They add more than just AE healing. Mages aren't doing too bad on support though.

Best DPS will depend on what exactly happened to Flamespear. Taking the patch notes literally word for word indicates it's been buffed, which would be insane
    It's a significant nerf
    Last edited by Draemos; 02-21-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Champion of Telara

i was still out dpsing every dps mage and rogue i encountered with my champion/paragon, even with the vk/rift nerf i think warriors will still be top dogs.

and as far as best tank? I'll reserve my judgment for when I see level 50, because riftstalkers get all of their tanking skills by the time they are level 20-30 range already, where warriors continue to improve.
    Last edited by pickled_heretic; 02-21-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Draemos View Post
    It's a significant nerf
    Can you provide proof?

+ Reply to Thread