+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Marksman/Ranger/Bard?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Mechew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default Marksman/Ranger/Bard?

    I've played alot of different classes through beta and this last beta I made the switch at 15 to pickup bard and drop saboteur. I found myself extremely useful in groups, pvp and was able to do very well while solo leveling. Just curious what you guys think about that mix of classes. I know its not the "recomended" pairing according to the game, but saboteur I didn't find nearly as useful as bard, stayed alive alot longer and did just as much damage.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker Mephster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Saboteur has the 18% dex bonus that is pretty useful. It is also a good soul to have for pvp as well.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker chondro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    how did you drop a soul and pick up another

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple zeggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chondro View Post
    how did you drop a soul and pick up another
    Do the quest for another soul and then pay the trainer to slot it......
    Comfort is a perspective of ideology.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Jasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Wow. I did the exact same thing only I think I was around level 18 or 19 when I dropped Sab to pick up Bard. Ya it was definitely MUCH easier to solo as bard/ranger/mark as opposed to ranger/mark/sab and like you said it was definitely nice being able to contribute more to groups as well as PvP.

    Before I was generally only able to handle 1 mob at a time and occasionally two if I was lucky. With Bard I've soloed 3 - 5 mobs and mobs one after the other.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I played the ranger/bard 24/16 till level 30+ and it worked really well for soloing. The damage was alright but I had excellent survivability. It gives three heals for the pet and two for self. I was going marksman as my third soul with 26 points planned in it but I really didn't get a chance to see that in action. Most of the quests I was doing were 2 levels above me.

    On my second role, I tried marksman/ranger/sin 30/8/2. The pet was hard to keep up with more than 2 mobs on it or even 2 were a problem if higher level than me. I wasn't killing things that much faster to notice a significant difference. I pretty much died anytime I had random agro while fighting. So I ended up switching back to bard whenever I went into a new area or an area with plenty of mobs.

    For my ranger/bard, I would start off with motifs pre-pull. Then start with Piercing Shot->Splinter Shot->Shadow Fire->Head Shot (F w/ combo)->Quick Shot (Imp)->Cadence->Head Shot/CB... by this time the mob is almost dead or I have other mob(s) to deal with so I'll either switch or use Concussive Blast with pet agro CD and heal my pet. If I grabbed too much agro then i'd just spam Cadence->Head Shot till they are all dead.

    I spec'd and used Power Chord whenever one of my cast attacks missed so I could get my combo stack to 5 for Head Shots. I took almost all of the pet talents in ranger including Bestial Fury and King of the Jungle... both of them adding to Head Shot damage so I really don't know how MM would fit into that playstyle.
    Cooler Master HAF 932 (CM P/S 700W Silent Pro M)
    Intel Core i7 950@3.07GHz (8MB cache) 4.8 GT/s
    CORSAIR XM53 DDR3 TRIKIT3X6G-2000
    ASUS P6X58D-E | EVGA GeForce GTX 570 [SC] (1280MB)
    SAMSUNG LCD 2233RZ | RAZER Black Widow + Mamba

  7. #7
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Miku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I went Marks/Ranger/Assassin since the poisons work with ranged attacks. 8 Points in Assassin gets you 5% crit, 150% bleed when you crit and two poisons, one which gives you 5% chance more to crit. + Stealth.
    Last edited by Miku; 02-22-2011 at 01:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    I tried almost every possible build for MM, but I found that having stealth as MM was just way too good to pass up. This is just about the only game that a ranger can get stealth without any movement penalties if you ranked up the right passives.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I dropped saboteur for bard as well.
    I fooled around a lot with marksman though. All that movement speed was heady!
    The ranger/bard/MM mix felt like a solid solo build to me. But then there's the blink I could have had, or the stealth or... Ahh a game that let's me have everything and still I want more. /grins
    Quote Originally Posted by Huxus View Post
    I spied a tin lode on yon hill.
    'Twas kept by a faerie of Twyl.
    So I slew the vile nettle,
    My intent on the metal,
    But some thief had mined his fill!

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    I dropped saboteur for bard as well.
    I fooled around a lot with marksman though. All that movement speed was heady!
    The ranger/bard/MM mix felt like a solid solo build to me. But then there's the blink I could have had, or the stealth or... Ahh a game that let's me have everything and still I want more. /grins
    I'll tell you what helped me with my decision. Hopefully it helps you decide also. I figure that there will be bards in my party or raid party most of the time, so if I was mm/bard, I'd be wasting a soul tree. To make sure that I took full advantage of every party/group make up, I went with mm/sin.

    Oh, remember, you can have multiple roles so you can easily switch depending on the situation. However, even when I was soloing, mm/sin was just much easier for me to get around and gank people. Getting knocked off my mount was annoying so I was really happy with staying on foot in full stealth going at normal speed. I found that I saved more time while traveling and got ganked way less by assassins. 12 points in ranger and you get the 15% run speed bonus out of combat. Perma stealth while traveling + 15% run speed bonus = yummy.
    Last edited by Tenkuro; 02-22-2011 at 02:10 AM.

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser fervor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My imagination
    Posts
    382

    Default

    MM/Ranger/Bard is probably one of the best leveling builds. It combines everything you'd need...tank, DPS, healer in one build. No surprise that it's effective (and increasingly popular).

    Stuff like stealth or sabo tricks are totally unnecessary for leveling. Keep that in your second role for when you want to PvP or a change of pace.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fervor View Post
    MM/Ranger/Bard is probably one of the best leveling builds. It combines everything you'd need...tank, DPS, healer in one build. No surprise that it's effective (and increasingly popular).

    Stuff like stealth or sabo tricks are totally unnecessary for leveling. Keep that in your second role for when you want to PvP or a change of pace.
    Assassin has Poison Leech which might be broken because it gives back more HP than Motif of Regeneration. The assassin passives also gives much more dps due to magnify pain and cruel vengeance. Also, you level a lot faster when you don't have to waste time constantly buffing up motifs.

  13. #13
    Rift Chaser fervor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My imagination
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenkuro View Post
    Assassin has Poison Leech which might be broken because it gives back more HP than Motif of Regeneration. The assassin passives also gives much more dps due to magnify pain and cruel vengeance. Also, you level a lot faster when you don't have to waste time constantly buffing up motifs.
    Just pointing out that you need 20 points in Assassin to get these benefits. I could be wrong, but I don't think poison leech heals your pet tank?

    In comparison, you get the cadence heals by 6-8 and regen motif by 12. These skills also heal your pet (which I assume is tanking for you, so you don't need healing yourself.) They also heal your group if you're doing group stuff like dungeons/rifts/etc.

    Since the motifs last 30 seconds or something, you're not wasting that much time in combat. Buff between fights.

    Assassin might deal more damage, but you lose a lot by giving up Bard.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    You need more than 20 points in bard for it to be viable. Going MM/Sin/rng is the same amount of points as mm/brd/rng.

    You already have a very good pet heal from the rng tree. As MM/Sin, you'll kill faster and not waste as much time buffing so your pet won't be taking as much damage. If you think buffing 5 motifs is not a waste of time between fights, that's your opinion. Also, when your pet dies because of stronger enemies or multi aggro, you are screwed as mm/brd. You can get away as MM/sin or you can just paralyze + fight in melee range and let your leech poison heal you up.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser fervor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My imagination
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenkuro View Post
    You need more than 20 points in bard for it to be viable. Going MM/Sin/rng is the same amount of points as mm/brd/rng.

    You already have a very good pet heal from the rng tree. As MM/Sin, you'll kill faster and not waste as much time buffing so your pet won't be taking as much damage. If you think buffing 5 motifs is not a waste of time between fights, that's your opinion. Also, when your pet dies because of stronger enemies or multi aggro, you are screwed as mm/brd. You can get away as MM/sin or you can just paralyze + fight in melee range and let your leech poison heal you up.
    20 points in bard to be viable? Not really. All you need is 12 points to get the regen motif and that's plenty. A lot of the damage comes from MM.

    I don't understand your massive complaint with motifs. You don't NEED all the bard motifs. They are all instant cast. You can easily cast a few of them between fights as you move from one mob to the next. You also get the long duration bard defensive buffs, which are nice.

    The chance your pet is going to die when you have cadence, regen motif and the ranger heal is really slim.

    Anyways, I think this is more a matter of playstyle differences. I think both are just fine. I prefer the bard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts