+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Classes, should they be balanced?

Shadowlander

Default Classes, should they be balanced?

No, the example i'm going to be using is purely to use as an analogy for my example. Pokemon is a great example to how an mmo should balance classes. Some classes can do more damage to certain classes. Certain classes should be more resistant to others. If pokemon didn't have "Super effective" or "Thats not very effective". The game would be really boring, but since it's not you need strategy and to figure how the best combination to get. I'm not saying a mmo should be pokemon, or it is. It's an example. If you don't know what pokemon is, then, i dont know what to tell you.

yeah, it's what ever. My opinion's are not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loroes View Post
    No, the example i'm going to be using is purely to use as an analogy for my example. Pokemon is a great example to how an mmo should balance classes. Some classes can do more damage to certain classes. Certain classes should be more resistant to others. If pokemon didn't have "Super effective" or "Thats not very effective". The game would be really boring, but since it's not you need strategy and to figure how the best combination to get. I'm not saying a mmo should be pokemon, or it is. It's an example. If you don't know what pokemon is, then, i dont know what to tell you.

yeah, it's what ever. My opinion's are not fact.
    I liked pokemon too, but now it's not the time or place for your pokebattle.
    Last edited by Moriar; 02-21-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Moriar View Post
    I liked pokemon too, but not is not the time or place for your pokebattle.
    Apparently you missunderstood what I said. It is an example. Reading goes a long way.

Heh, I can't get over the fact that you picked pokemon to build your analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loroes View Post
    Apparently you missunderstood what I said. It is an example. Reading goes a long way.
    I get what you meant. The game is based on a system where whoever has the best setup at the time for facing the other persons build will most likely win. It makes the game more based around skill and luck over who has the better armor. There is never a right build to use.
    Last edited by Moriar; 02-21-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Shadowlander

I get what you meant. The game is based on a system where whoever has the best setup at the time for facing the other persons build will most likely win. It makes the game more based around skill and luck over who has the better armor. There is never a right build to use.
    Exactly, you understand what I tried to say. Thats exactly what I ment.

I liked pokemon too, but now it's not the time or place for your pokebattle.
    It is always the time and place for a pokebattle. PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU!!!

Yes classes should be balanced.

That does not mean that every class sound be able to be every other class in 1v1. Balance doesn't have to be a zero-sum game either. There are obviously different philosophies as to what constitutes balance. In my experience, it's the most fun when classes are balanced so that everyone is of relatively equal importance or usefulness.

Everyone should have a role to fulfill and have their role be of relatively equal importance and value to all of the other roles. That is balance.

A better way to put it is that the balance should work more like a rock/paper/scissors rather than every class can own each other. So a particular build of warriors can own mages, but mages can own other builds etc...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by FeloniousNick View Post
    A better way to put it is that the balance should work more like a rock/paper/scissors rather than every class can own each other. So a particular build of warriors can own mages, but mages can own other builds etc...
    instead of rock/paper/scissors/A-bomb (Sab, VK)/cockroach (clerics)

Soulwalker

"Everyone should have a role to fulfill and have their role be of relatively equal importance and value to all of the other roles. That is balance."

This is well put and is how things should be imo.

+ Reply to Thread