+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Solo PvP Class.

  1. #1
    Shadowlander Revwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32

    Question Solo PvP Class.

    Hi all,

    (TL;DR at the end)


    I'd like to start off this thread by saying that I'm versatile. Give me any class and after a few hours I'll be doing the basics fairly well. I'm nothing spectacular but I like to think that I'm a quick learner and an intelligent player.
    I've always been like this. Switching from class to class to get as much enjoyment out as possible. This is especially true for PvP. I've lost count of the times I've logged alts on WoW because we didn't have a healer for BGs or switched to my DPS because I'm sick of people not understanding how to play their class properly. A lot of the time I switch to the role that nobody else wants to do, not for fun, just to get stuff done.



    So now we're onto Rift. Class designs are eccentric, variation is promoted and there are multiple play styles that are available for each class.

    I'm looking for a class that can take part in team based games, such as Codex, and also do quite well by themselves if I have no teammates around me. Ideally, the class needs to have a steep learning curve. The reasoning behind all of this is that, all going well, I'm going to be GL of a PvP guild. We've got a few members atm and we're all good friends, blah blah blah. We'll be doing Warfronts together so I don't want to be a hinderance when I'm trying to solo enemies when that's not the objective.

    On the other hand, I have strange playing times. There will be lots of times that I will be doing Warfronts on my own and for this purpose, playing a support class 24/7 feels like a lost cause. There's no point being a support class if the people you're supporting aren't playing the objective, doing what they're supposed to be doing, etc.
    In addition, I'm planning on doing PvP videos. A lot of the videos I've seen are people killing AFKers or World PvP when it's 3v1 in the broadcaster's favour. I hate watching this. I love watching videos where the broadcaster does outrageous things, things that I would never imagine doing. Any muppet can kill AFKers.


    In terms of playstyle, I don't have anything that I stonewall can't play. I've always favoured melee DPS as they usually have a button you can spam when you need to recover as you've stopped thinking half way through a fight but I'm looking more towards a Marksman or Mage DPS spec as they seem to be quite 'interesting' to watch.
    I'd be interested in playing a Pyromancer but mages in general seem to be quite weak at the moment.
    I'd prefer not to play a pet class. The pets seem to be a little lacklustre from what I've seen, although to be fair to the last few judgements I've only played low level PvP.




    TL;DR
    LF Class that can Dual Spec into Solo PvP & Team Based PvP
    Pref. no pet
    Solo pvp needs to be interesting to watch

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Xiomaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    199

    Default

    If you want to be able to do some crazy things (1v3 and stuff like that) you're probably going to want to go for a melee Cleric (for their survivability) or some kind of Warrior.

    If you want to be really impressive though, you should try as something like a Pyromancer. The ability to survive is not as great as a Cleric or Warrior but I think the potential is there if you're seriously good. It has the right tools at its disposal but it'd be tough.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander Revwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiomaro View Post
    If you want to be really impressive though, you should try as something like a Pyromancer. The ability to survive is not as great as a Cleric or Warrior but I think the potential is there if you're seriously good. It has the right tools at its disposal but it'd be tough.
    That was originally my intention. I then have the option to go either Archmage / Dominator for team games, too!

    My only issue with Pyromancer is that it feels so slow to level. You can't survive many hits on your own (certainly this is true at lower levels), so I'd have to be super careful or dedicate another spec solely for levelling.

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Bullvinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiomaro View Post
    If you want to be able to do some crazy things (1v3 and stuff like that) you're probably going to want to go for a melee Cleric (for their survivability) or some kind of Warrior.

    If you want to be really impressive though, you should try as something like a Pyromancer. The ability to survive is not as great as a Cleric or Warrior but I think the potential is there if you're seriously good. It has the right tools at its disposal but it'd be tough.
    OMG no kidding I LOVE my Pyro in pvp!

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser Bullvinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revwood View Post
    That was originally my intention. I then have the option to go either Archmage / Dominator for team games, too!

    My only issue with Pyromancer is that it feels so slow to level. You can't survive many hits on your own (certainly this is true at lower levels), so I'd have to be super careful or dedicate another spec solely for levelling.
    For solo leveling on a pvp server I would suggest Pyro/Ele/Dom if you dont want stuff hitting (pet is good up to 30 unless you put 21 points into ele) on you or Pyro/Archon/Dom if you dont want a pet.

    For pvp I would go Pyro/Archmage/dom for sure.

    *edit*
    Pyro/Warlock/Archon would be pretty decent too. You get an early on in combat mana regen and health regen option from warlock, a fear eventually, and Opportunity. You also get increased health from the first dot in Archon and the 3rd tier of warlock soul talents. So not a bad option starting out.
    Last edited by Bullvinne; 02-21-2011 at 05:39 AM.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander Revwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullvinne View Post
    For solo leveling on a pvp server I would suggest Pyro/Ele/Dom if you dont want stuff hitting (pet is good up to 30 unless you put 21 points into ele) on you or Pyro/Archon/Dom if you dont want a pet.

    For pvp I would go Pyro/Archmage/dom for sure.
    Aye, I was considering putting 6 points into Ele simply for the mana regen.
    Thanks for the help, guys.



    Before I finish, are there any other specs that you'd think could pull of 1v2/1v3 situations with a lot of work?

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Faolon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Nightblade or Assassin Rogue.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker Thelomen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    In the open beta I leveled both a warrior and a mage and did some pvp on both. In terms of PvP i vastly enjoyed the mage over the warrior. I played mostly as a Pyro/lock/dom because I hadn't unlocked the archmage yet. I basically just ran around spamming my insta cast spells with an occasional fireball, it worked out quite well and in the black garden I'd grab the Fang and Flicker away. Sure, getting focus fired isn't great but if you can los them with a good flicker you'd be surprised how long you can survive.

    My biggest issue with a warrior is merely the fact that getting kited is very problematic. I basically ended up with a ranged warrior build of reaver/riftblade/vindicator. It was fun, but I figured if i was casting range spells, why not just be a mage and actually have some burst.

    VK/riftblade combo appears to have a lot of potential but unfortunately I'm really bad at Pact management still (may improve once the game actually hits), but it seems to me that the class has a steep learning curve but once you get it down you can dominate.

    Just my 2cents from a relatively inexperienced open beta player who got thoroughly addicted.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander Revwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faolon View Post
    Nightblade or Assassin Rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelomen View Post
    In the open beta I leveled both a warrior and a mage and did some pvp on both. In terms of PvP i vastly enjoyed the mage over the warrior. I played mostly as a Pyro/lock/dom because I hadn't unlocked the archmage yet. I basically just ran around spamming my insta cast spells with an occasional fireball, it worked out quite well and in the black garden I'd grab the Fang and Flicker away. Sure, getting focus fired isn't great but if you can los them with a good flicker you'd be surprised how long you can survive.

    My biggest issue with a warrior is merely the fact that getting kited is very problematic. I basically ended up with a ranged warrior build of reaver/riftblade/vindicator. It was fun, but I figured if i was casting range spells, why not just be a mage and actually have some burst.

    VK/riftblade combo appears to have a lot of potential but unfortunately I'm really bad at Pact management still (may improve once the game actually hits), but it seems to me that the class has a steep learning curve but once you get it down you can dominate.

    Just my 2cents from a relatively inexperienced open beta player who got thoroughly addicted.
    Notes taken, thanks a lot!

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I had fun with a riftstalker/nightblade combo. Great ranged attacks, tons of CC, and teleporting around like a maniac is awesome for messing with smaller groups. Mages can pull you out of stealth really easily though. Riftstalkers have a few fantastic survivability talents too.
    Last edited by Ticklefriend; 02-21-2011 at 08:51 AM.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Chomag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Necro/chloro/dom. A pvp tank.

    1v1-wise you're invincible.

  12. #12
    Champion Catskills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Necro/chloro/dom. A pvp tank.

    1v1-wise you're invincible.
    Dog food for my rogue & VK/Rift/Paladin.
    Play to Crush.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Xiomaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Yeah, Necro isn't the greatest PvP soul ever. Its only defense is its healing but with a long-ish cooldown on the Chloro heals and having to build charge to use Soul Purge, it means if you're CC'd or pressured, you're toast.

    With a soul like Pyromancer you have some great escape tools and don't need to rely on healing to keep yourself alive.

    EDIT: Having said that Warlock / Necro / Archmage could work ok but then you're not really able to go far enough up the Necro or Warlock tree to get the best out of either soul. I'd say spec-ing for defense is a bad way to go. You're better off going all out on CC, damage and escapes.
    Last edited by Xiomaro; 02-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts