+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12+ characters in the past 2 days

Default 12+ characters in the past 2 days

I've been using the open beta as time to decide what to play come head start but I have made zero progress towards picking a class/soul combo. I made an Inquisitor that I was having some fun with but I wanted higher dps, and I didn't like the Purifier tree to heal with. I had a lot of fun with rogues, but two mobs on me and I'm dead (unless I use the 70% snare AoE and plane shift ). I liked playing a mage too, but I heard Stormcallers are worthless and I kept running out of mana, and I heard that they have bad dps at higher levels. Warriors all seem like they have one attack that they spam all day... but I still managed to have fun with that.

Can anyone recommend a combo that isn't going to be terrible at end game and picks up pretty fast with decent utility/mobility? Don't care what role I'll be playing as long as it's a fun combo that keeps me interested... Maybe I just need to take more adderall.

bbbuuummmppp

Play what you find fun...if the warrior was fun for you then play that...

The thing is that no one (but alpha testers) knows how endgame is atm.

And all classes are subjects to change. All classes will be changed/balanced for as long as the game lives. This is a fact.

It seems alot of people are trying to find a 'good'(OP) class in beta to play. These so called FotM-rerollers will always exist.

Pick a class juding only by Fun-Factor. This way you won't be disappointed. FotM is just that, flavour of the month. And months come and go.

Go Archon/Dom/Chloro...>.>
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wkote View Post

And all classes are subjects to change. All classes will be changed/balanced for as long as the game lives. This is a fact.

It seems alot of people are trying to find a 'good'(OP) class in beta to play. These so called FotM-rerollers will always exist.

Pick a class juding only by Fun-Factor. This way you won't be disappointed. FotM is just that, flavour of the month. And months come and go.
    + 1

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Wkote View Post

I'm not looking for an OP class, I just don't want to end up with a really weak one like mages apparently. I'm having trouble deciding which one is the most fun so I'm asking what other people think is fun and beneficial to play. I've tried out probably half of the souls in the game even if it was only to level 5 and I keep saying, "Whoa this is cool... but I wanna try (insert random soul here) too!"

Quote Originally Posted by bradronis View Post
    I've been using the open beta as time to decide what to play come head start but I have made zero progress towards picking a class/soul combo. I made an Inquisitor that I was having some fun with but I wanted higher dps, and I didn't like the Purifier tree to heal with. I had a lot of fun with rogues, but two mobs on me and I'm dead (unless I use the 70% snare AoE and plane shift ). I liked playing a mage too, but I heard Stormcallers are worthless and I kept running out of mana, and I heard that they have bad dps at higher levels. Warriors all seem like they have one attack that they spam all day... but I still managed to have fun with that.

Can anyone recommend a combo that isn't going to be terrible at end game and picks up pretty fast with decent utility/mobility? Don't care what role I'll be playing as long as it's a fun combo that keeps me interested... Maybe I just need to take more adderall.
    try mage: warlock/chloromancer/dom, or warlock/necro/dom. high dps and good self healing + nice aoe

i made a short video which will show you what this combo is like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DiiQVu1E4

note that those mobs are faction guards and take less damage from enemy players & do more damage to them
    Last edited by kyris_; 02-20-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyris_ View Post
    try mage: warlock/chloromancer/dom, or warlock/necro/dom. high dps and good self healing + nice aoe

i made a short video which will show you what this combo is like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DiiQVu1E4

note that those mobs are faction guards and take less damage from enemy players & do more damage to them
    That, was a nice reply and a good video. You were rocking it =)

"I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I've played WOW, Darkfall, DAOC, Shadowbane, WAR, GW, L2 and UO. I have faith Rift will be my new home!!

I'm not looking for an OP class, I just don't want to end up with a really weak one like mages apparently. I'm having trouble deciding which one is the most fun so I'm asking what other people think is fun and beneficial to play. I've tried out probably half of the souls in the game even if it was only to level 5 and I keep saying, "Whoa this is cool... but I wanna try (insert random soul here) too!"
    Ok, part of the problem is you are not seeing the full soul potential playing up to lvl 5, or even 10-15. I've been playing with only the rogue souls and am still being amazed at lvl 34. They just get better and better as you flush out the builds. I also spent an A&& load of money resetting souls and swapping them around and going out and trying the new combos. I bought 3 roles (which allows you to have 3 seperate specs you can swap to) and each role is a different playstyle... SO DIFFERENT just by swapping those souls around.

I have a Ranger LVL role. Heavy Ranger, 12 points in bard for buffs and a small heal hot, and 5 in Sabo for Nimble fingers Dex and Ad Bomb for AoE snare. After getting Greater Razorbeast, Rain of Arrows, Trick Shot, and Concusssive Blast I feel like I am doing bad if I don't Pull four mobs at a time. And after that fight? Rejuv, rebuff my Motiffs and off I go to the next pull. I have yet to drink or eat in this game with my bard soul in any build. 0 downtime. (I buff Motif of Regen, Bravery, Focus. Fanfare of Vigor, Anthem of Glory, Fearal Instincts and hit pet with Rejuv and send him off. After he gathers, he has an aoe taunt, I hit Divert Rage, Rain of Arrows, Trick shot 3x, Concusive Blast and usually only have to hit quick shot once. Then I loot.....) Pet gets down to about 50% life after a four pull. Everyone says go MM... I've seen them running around kitting in PVE. Though that may be fun, I would rather kill 3+ mobs at a time and keep going. I rarely die too, with this lvl build. With AoE Snare and Hasten Call, I always have a pet ready to tank.

That is just a way I've experimented with a soul mixture. Do the same, tweak things here and there. Put points in what you think sounds best and try it out. It doesn't cost much to reset and try again. Have fun, learn to do things with the souls other people dont. Don't fall into cookie cutter specs that everyone says you must have or you are teh failz. I only use MM for groups in instances for the higher DPS on single targets. I use my pure bard spec for instances and Warfronts to support buff and AoE heal.

It's like I have 3 different chars all in one character... This is really going to cut down on my Alts =p

/end wall of text
    Last edited by Badh; 02-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.

"I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I've played WOW, Darkfall, DAOC, Shadowbane, WAR, GW, L2 and UO. I have faith Rift will be my new home!!

You don't seem to get what he is trying to tell you. He's saying that the pendulum of balance will probably mean that even the worst spec/class will have its time to shine eventually.

I suggest that you narrow down your choices and go with the one(s) that you enjoyed playing the most. I have been sworn to a Warrior (Champ/Rift/Para) for a while, but last night I made a MM/Rang/Rift and I love the playstyle so much that I will probably go for that (regardless of how powerful it or other classes/specs are around launch).

In any case if you go with either Rogue or Cleric you will probably never run out of soul combinations that are "powerful" (read: wanted) at any given point.
    G.T.L.

Gaming. Table tennis. Library.

IT'S T-SHIRT TIME!!!

Character:

[GUARDIAN] Level 4X High Elf Rogue

I used the open beta much the same way that you have. The classes that I enjoyed the most were:

paladin/warlord/void knight - warrior tank paladin as main soul
    ranger/marksmen/sabotuer - rogue dps marksmen as main soul
    pyromancer/archon/elementalist - mage dps pyromancer as main soul
    warden/sentinel/purifier - cleric healer warden as main soul

As of today I can say when head start hits I will be rolling a cleric warden. I really really enjoyed the paladin tank as well but I just don't want to have to rely on other people to heal lol. Questing isn't that bad either with the cleric as well because you get a shield where you won't take damage. You can roll hots on yourself and have a knockback as well if mobs get to close.

I hope this helps a little bit with your choice.

Wink

I have made 6 characters and leveled most only to around 10 due to issues with BT making it unplayable in the evenings. So with the limited time I had I made some characters to try studd out. I made ....

Shaman / Druid / Warden
    Champion / Paragon / x
    Marksman / Bladedancer / Ranger
    Choromancer / Pyromancer / Archon
    Nightblade / Riftstalker / x
    Warlord / Beastmaster / x

I've had a ton of fun with all the builds so far ..... as to what I will play in live I'm looking at 2 characters

Shaman / Inquisitor / Warden
    Champion / Warlord / Beastmaster

are my best guesses at the moment. I still have a few days to decide before the head start happens.

Soulwalker

Thumbs up :)

I am not a warrior type so I didn't try any warriors.

My main (that I got up to 25) was Ele/Pyro/Storm at first...this was recommended for Ele, but I found I easily ran out of mana and that I couldn't really take on more than one enemy, even with the elemental pet. They would kill the pet (if there was more than one) and then come after me and I didn't have any heals and pots are only good for taking one during a fight really.

Around level 24, I switched in Chloro and took out stormcaller. I kept the Ele for the Elementals, and had it summoned at all times. Before I switched, I couldn't take more than one level 19 because I had no healing. After putting a lot of points in pyro, some in Ele and most in chloro, I could do life damage, fire damage and heal - and take one 3+ enemies at once, with my pet. Also, these were regular level 19, not elites obviously lol.

I liked it and will probably make that char. I'm also making a healer cleric because there didn't seem to be that many around!

But I agree with others. do what is fun for you and just have fun with it. The one thing I hated about WoW is how it came around to "have this spec and this amount of dps"...it sucked. I just wanna have fun, even if I die a million times.

+ Reply to Thread