+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having a really hard time deciding on a class setup

Shadowlander

Default Having a really hard time deciding on a class setup

So I just checked out this game today (yes, I'm on day 1 of my Rift experience) and from what I saw I was impressed. Already did my preorder today and am ready to go come head start. But I'm really having a problem on what class or playstyle I'd like to play.

- First I wanted a class like the EQ Monk. Tried Beastlord (which was kind of similar in EQ) but just didn't have the "monkly" feel I was looking for, at least at low level.

- Then I wanted to play a good dps (not tank) "sword and board" class - think paladin from Diablo 2. Justicar isn't enough dps for me to do this in a group setting.

- Ok, then I thought maybe I can make a nice Valkyrie/Amazon style Shaman with a spear, or maybe a nice healy spear/shield Shaman from EQ. A shaman with a big 2H bonker just didn't feel right, although it was the best from what I tried so far. Still...wasn't quite the match I wanted.

- Then I tried Blade Dancer. This class feels really good. Then I go read the Rogue class forums about how bad the class is further on, especially in groups (since many of the abilities are based off dodge/parry I guess?). While I'm not the kind of person who usually listens to that kind of stuff, I just don't have the experience to say its not true. I don't want to start with a class I'm never going to get groups with.

- Then I got thinking about Bard. Its ok, but I was wanting more of a melee based instead of caster/ranged based experience, and bard certainly feels like it goes more with a ranged playstyle. I was thinking at first "Blade Dancer/Bard/Assassin - that sounds fun!" I guess not...

- Then I tried the Warrior class. Paragon seemed interesting, but wasn't as fun as the other melees I tried. Combat seemed kind of slow, and chances are if I go Warrior, eventually I'd have to tank down the road and I really want to avoid having to do that.

I'm kinda bummed. I really can't wait to play, and Rift seems really fun. But finding a class that fits my style, while also being useful in groups, is seeming hard for me. Same thing happened with me when I played Dragon Age. I really wanted to get into it, but after trying everything I just couldn't find a playstyle I liked and never got to finish it.

Any suggestions for a fun, melee-based solid dps with some utility, preferably dual wield or 1H+Shield? Something I can have fun leveling with but will get to do group/raid stuff without having to switch my playstyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful Raider View Post
    Any suggestions for a fun, melee-based solid dps with some utility, preferably dual wield or 1H+Shield? Something I can have fun leveling with but will get to do group/raid stuff without having to switch my playstyle?

i would suggest the cleric class, try shaman with sentiel or warden, if you want to do more dmg cabalist or inquistor.

mage class has archon buffs raid/party, warrior class has warlord/paladin that are also supportive. reaver,champion,rifter are ok at dmg. paragon can duel wield.

Shadowlander

Thanks, I'll check those out. I went back and gave BM another look, and matched it with Rift Blade. Not sure if that's a good synergy though, need more time to play with it. Maybe BM/Paragon/Rift Blade might work....

Back to the drawing board!

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tozdh View Post
    i would suggest the cleric class, try shaman with sentiel or warden, if you want to do more dmg cabalist or inquistor.

mage class has archon buffs raid/party, warrior class has warlord/paladin that are also supportive. reaver,champion,rifter are ok at dmg. paragon can duel wield.
    Paragon/Warlord might be a better thing for what he wants than a Cleric. As great Clerics are, there are far too many players who will tell him to "**** and heal", which he's asked to not change his playstyle. *shrug*

Shadowlander

Did a little looking in at paragon, that's probably where I want to go with BM. Maybe a BM/Paragon/Champ build for dual wield? Not much in terms of support but I can handle not having that if my dps would be solid enough for a group.

Maybe a build like this?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...sk.qgzdVzuck.c

Edit - just did the starting area as BM/Paragon, that's very much the feel I'm going for. Think I'm going to give that a go come live and see how it works. Next to work on my Cleric support build, which will likely be Shaman based. Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by Faithful Raider; 02-20-2011 at 08:14 PM.

in my opinion...all the class choices and combos is a strength, and a weakness of the game and the beta so far reminds me of warhammer. Hope thats not a fore shadow.

+ Reply to Thread