+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class Announcement - The Warlock

Default Class Announcement - The Warlock

Damn... now I don't know if I'd rather play an Elementalist or a Warlock; decisions, decisions...

Taken from MMORPG.com at this link:

Rift: Planes of Telara continues to give us a first look at classes leading up to E3. Today we get a closer look at the Warlock. Masters of death and destruction, these casters look to be the ranged damage dealers in the game. Sending curses upon their enemies the Warlocks may be squishy, but they can dish out some serious nasty damage. Any class that embraces death and entropy is fun for those who like the dark arts and caster style game play. The Warlock appears to fill the classic archtype well with nasty spells and stealth skills.

Trion comes through again with screenshots of the Warlock in action. We will continue our class previews all week leading up to E3 next week when we'll get the full details. Alos, check out the Warlock write up below.

Consummate practitioners of the dark arts, Warlocks embrace the grim forces of entropy and death. Protected within a cloak of shadows, they lurk on the edges of the conflict, as their deadly energies inevitably consume all that stand in their way.

Strengths

Warlocks specialize in destructive curses that eat away at an opponent's body and soul. A Warlock is capable of rapidly spreading their blight across the battlefield, or focusing all of their entropic power to eradicate a single target in mere moments.

Weaknesses

Warlocks can cast their lethal curses with but a word, but like death itself, they are slow and inexorable. This gives enemies a small window of opportunity to overcome them with a rapid and brutal assault.

Warlock History

Death has always been the most corrupting of arcane influences. At best, Mages who seek to master its power inevitably plunge into madness, while the worst wretches slowly succumb to the temptations of the Endless Court, becoming thralls of Regulos.

Neddra was one such Mage: a prodigy who saw death as the only depth left unconquered in the arcane world. For her studies, Neddra was cast out of Quicksilver College, branded a heretic and follower of Regulos. Undeterred, she journeyed north, deep into those ancient lands of Mathosia where the corruption of the Shade still held sway.

What Neddra discovered on her journey remains a mystery, but none will deny the power she obtained. For years, she waged war against the Endless Cult, rooting out and destroying their hidden cells within the colleges of magic. Many young Mages followed in Neddra's footsteps. These disciples, known as Warlocks, believe that only those who master death can banish the darkness from Telara.

Beat by half a day and 4 pages of posts. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    But he did land in the right section of the forums! :P
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

First of all I didn't realize it was a contest. Secondly I checked the forum where this stuff belongs and didn't see a post, so I thought I'd put up the info. Not everyone can have the time to read every forum every day so there will be some duplicate stuff occasionally. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaelstrom View Post
    First of all I didn't realize it was a contest. Secondly I checked the forum where this stuff belongs and didn't see a post, so I thought I'd put up the info.
    I came very close to doing what you did as well a bit earlier. But having been here a bit longer I knew someone might have posted it in the general section and... sure enough.

It does look like a fascinating class. That's 2 of possibly 8 mage classes revealed now, and warlocks are known to focus on death magic. I wonder if that means necros are are less likely to make an appearance?

Stealth thing looks interesting too. From memory, WOW's mages were originally intended to have an invisibility spell - which is why warlocks had a "see invisible" spell. But they ditched it pre-launch.

I'm definitely curious to see how this class plays.

Love the armour, too.

And hopefully hello glass cannon. If so, this will most likely be where I focus my efforts, we shall see however.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    You have cheated! General Discussion section has more traffic!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaelstrom View Post
    First of all I didn't realize it was a contest. Secondly I checked the forum where this stuff belongs and didn't see a post, so I thought I'd put up the info. Not everyone can have the time to read every forum every day so there will be some duplicate stuff occasionally. Oh well.
    No problem mate, you placed it in the correct place. There will be people who will miss thread in General Discussion, so they can find it here!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

This is the class I'll most likely be picking up at this point... that is unless another DD class is revealed that I like better. I've been a tank throughout most of my mmo experience. The only DD that I've played in mmo's thus far are a blackmage from Final Fantasy Online and a Tempest of Set/Barbarian from age of conan.

Though also in both of those mmo's I've been a tank as well. I'll probably end up making a tank as an alt because I just cant help but want to be in the thick of things sometimes =D.

stealth, death magic, this will be one of my alts . I hope he can deal some nice AE dmg too, as I really love to kill a lot of stuff after playing my rogue and only dealing with mobs, one at a time.

This is the wizard who uses death magic to deal dmg, not the summoner who uses death magic. There will be a necro, donīt worry about that. The biggest mistake games can make is imho not including some of the basic classes. One is the necro, another is the rogue, archer, mage (eq1). Games have done great without it, but I heard a lot of people asking for the core classes a lot.

Maybe itīs not a necromancer here, but I bet there will be a summoner who can raise the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by relax View Post
    Though also in both of those mmo's I've been a tank as well. I'll probably end up making a tank as an alt because I just cant help but want to be in the thick of things sometimes =D.
    I'm the opposite - I almost never play melee classes - but I think I know what you mean.

In CoH I sometimes enjoyed playing a tank because I was always literally the centre of all attention

Quote Originally Posted by Kindair View Post
    Maybe itīs not a necromancer here, but I bet there will be a summoner who can raise the dead.
    It's possible that elementalists will be able to summon pets from the death plane.

And now that I think about it, in a lot of games it's priests and not mages who animate corpses. Maybe that's where Rift's equivalent of a necromancer will turn up?

+ Reply to Thread