+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The point of three soul trees

Soulwalker

Default The point of three soul trees

So I've been trying to figure out ways to make different soul trees useful among each other.

I played a warrior and started off with Riftstalker (I played an Ele shaman on WoW and was told Riftstalkers was very close to one). Then I picked up a paragon and champion. I soon realized that Riftstalkers indeed do a lot of elemental damage, but the champion and paragon do physical damage. It didn't seem to really flow together.

I respecced and ignored my riftstalker tree and started putting points into the other two. While it actually felt like I lost a bit of damage (and I have read that Riftstalker damage is pretty high atm) I was sitting there wondering what I would do with the Rifstalker tree now...

I decided that I still wanted to check out how to get 3 trees to work together properly and went and made a new warrior, deciding that a Rifstalker wasn't really going to work with the paragon and champion. But I was at a standstill here. No other offensive tree seemed to coincide with them. Beastmaster may work out, but every other physical tree is a tanking tree, and from my MMO experience you usually don't plop many, IF any, trees in a defensive tree. (I also played a warrior in WoW)...

Anyways I went on to a mage now, and I really really liked them actually. I plan to play one now as a necromancer and warlock. I actually see there is a good potential for great synergy between the two...but once again I looked at my third tree and realized that none of them really go with the other two. I played around with a talent tree calculator for max level, and while I'm not calling it THE best dps tree, but I didn't end up putting any points into the dominator tree (I took it for the polymorph ability).

I could see maybe removing some of my AoE capabilities I put in the necro/lock trees (for single target boss fights) and putting points into dominator for increased intelligence (but I haven't really read up on how intelligence works in Rift...is it like Cataclysm where int will increase spell power, or just more mana like WoTLK worked).

It seems like they've created great synergy between two talent trees, but the third one always seems to be lacking, and a tree you take just for the passive bonus of the abilities you get baseline. Which I think is kind of bad. I think increasing the amount of points you get at the max level by around 10 or so might be beneficial to get some use out of that third tree.

Not sure though, there may be other classes out there that are splitting up trees very evenly. Only really played around on the warrior and mage up till level 20.

Soulwalker

I find I agree with this - I played both a tank-warrior (Paladin/Reaver/Warlord) and a mage (Necromancer/Warlock/Dominator). I do not know if it is just these particular alignments or what, but I find the third out of each of those pairings is essentially worthless aside from the initial benefit of taking it - yet they're the best ones I could pick (For what I wanted to do). I played around with a few other combinations in both the warrior and the mage tree (I don't really touch rogues or clerics) but generally speaking the third tree always seems neglected besides perhaps a 5 point investment (Such as a Pyromancer/Elementalist/Archon)

Shadowlander

It would have been better if you could pick souls across ALL 4 disciplines. But alas, that would be innovative.

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
    It would have been better if you could pick souls across ALL 4 disciplines. But alas, that would be innovative.
    Despite the fact warriors, rogues, clerics, and mages all have separate resources. (Attack Point, Combo Point, Mana, Charge)

Not to mention, A VK/Sab *shudder*

Because a Paladin/VK/Justicar is too much? God, can you imagine a Paladin/VK with Salvation?
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Skryth View Post
    Because a Paladin/VK/Justicar is too much? God, can you imagine a Paladin/VK with Salvation?
    I'm aware that a change like this would take rebalancing and changing. If you look at it they way you do then of course the change would be ******ed.

That being said: The way the trees currently work out offer little value. I could ignore the dominator tree as a mage right now and the only thing I would lose out is a polymorph spell. Where is the fun in taking a tree that offers something baseline and really requires no effort?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Ljubavi View Post
    Despite the fact warriors, rogues, clerics, and mages all have separate resources. (Attack Point, Combo Point, Mana, Charge)

Not to mention, A VK/Sab *shudder*
    Thats a real easy fix, just have everything run off one resource. Make it a true sand box character game. I would drop Sabs altogether anyway. Get rid of the stupid "I am a mage so I can only wear cloth" mentality and have the min. armor be leather. If your in plate then you can only use the skills that you have traited for a warrior. My scarest combo would be a reaver/warlock/warden, you would have HOTS and DOTS.

No need to worry about not picking the right third role, sine u can eventually have access to all of them,within your class. Then u can mix and match as much as u want.

Op only played to level 20. Maybe down the line you will discover other benefits and get a better overall knowledge of all the souls to make a good trio.

"There is only sourcestone. That which does not touch sourcestone, is not."-Blood Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Beschutzer View Post
    No need to worry about not picking the right third role, sine u can eventually have access to all of them,within your class. Then u can mix and match as much as u want.

Op only played to level 20. Maybe down the line you will discover other benefits and get a better overall knowledge of all the souls to make a good trio.
    I agree. But, some souls just slotted in with no points still rock.

To the OP, try finding a 3rd soul that offers something the other two lack, or that boosts something the other two have. For example, if you went with Offense X and Y soul, for pure DPS, add Z soul that has a heal ability. Or, add Z soul that boosts Str/Crit/Dex or Armor or Dodge. There are tons of soul combos. I have bought 2 role slots so far on my rogue and still wanted a 4th. I have a Ranged LVL role, Bard support role and a Ranged DPS role. I want the 4th for Stealther role. And I found myself crunching numbers and figures as to the 3rd soul in each of those situations. My ranged lvl is Ranger/Bard for pet and buffs. 3rd soul is Sabo for AoE snare. And I once swapped Sabo for another and found I missed having Adhesive Bomb because I needed it A LOT. A 3rd soul, for no points, that gives me something I find I almost ALWAYS need.

All 3 souls should compliment each other. And there are 3 souls in every calling that marry well and happy together. LVL higher and actually use the skills/souls, not the calculator and see how they merge with each other. I spent tons of gold resetting my souls over and over and over. Until I got the right mix.

"I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I've played WOW, Darkfall, DAOC, Shadowbane, WAR, GW, L2 and UO. I have faith Rift will be my new home!!

Shadowlander

I see your point but some trees can be very useful with a few points in it. Take for example Elementalist, with six points on the tree you recieve a +5% crit and a damage shield usable every 30 seconds. That shield does wonders for my Dominator to pump up survivality PvE and PvP (shield+detaunt no more three seconds shotted before help arrives) wise.

Keep in mind that if things go well the game will grow in time, that means vertical (+levels, +soul points) or horitzontal (+soul points) advancement as the game releases expansions. I am sure we will have more points to fill that third tree down the line.

Riftblade - it's called Riftblade ...

on the post: champion is 2h, paragon 2x 1handed. think about it. riftblade and champion on the other hand go very well together.
    As you havent seen that, i question your experience and therefore dont go on till you have actually played the game you are talking about.
    Last edited by Cures; 02-21-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cures View Post
    Riftblade - it's called Riftblade ...

on the post: champion is 2h, paragon 2x 1handed. think about it. riftblade and champion on the other hand go very well together.
    As you havent seen that, i question your experience and therefore dont go on till you have actually played the game you are talking about.
    Oh I learned very quickly that the paragon and champion went terribly together, but I'm not apologizing for screwing up that early in the game. I actually spend like 50g on the new talent role thing thinking it was going to give me new trees but just opened up another way to spec my 3 tries and I steered away from the paragon instead.

Nice epeen flex though.

The problem is the game suggests Paragon and Champion as good pairings with Riftblade. Champion is a pretty good side tree (can go about 15 pts without getting into buffing Champ talents or physical damage) but Paragon is just terrible.

Really, Paragon is just a terrible side tree for pretty much anything. It has the worst 0 pt abilities out of all the classes in the game--literally just a basic attack. Way of the River needs to be a 0 pt ability as well to make it worth grabbing even if you won't put points into it.

Quote Originally Posted by DR0ne View Post
    The problem is the game suggests Paragon and Champion as good pairings with Riftblade. Champion is a pretty good side tree (can go about 15 pts without getting into buffing Champ talents or physical damage) but Paragon is just terrible.

Really, Paragon is just a terrible side tree for pretty much anything. It has the worst 0 pt abilities out of all the classes in the game--literally just a basic attack. Way of the River needs to be a 0 pt ability as well to make it worth grabbing even if you won't put points into it.
    This, absolutely. Why anyone would ever think Paragon was a good compliment to Riftblade is completely beyond me. You need at least 6 points in Paragon to get anything even remotely useful as a Riftblade, and none of those points benefits a riftblade's offensive capabilities.

Beastmaster isn't a terrible choice, from what I can see. The pet gives you some extra offensive capabilities, and I could see spending 5-10 points and still getting some solid benefit out of those points (5% hit in tier 1, 30% boost to bond of might in tier 2, along with Bond of Might (strength buff) and the tank stance for your pet. I'm not sure I'd actually go that route (I tend to favor 15 champ/51 rift), but it is an option.

Alternatively, just stick warlord in as your third soul slot and pick up battlefield distraction, reduce the hit chance of all enemies around you by 5% without ever spending a single point on warlord.

+ Reply to Thread