+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which calling/spec is the most needed/least played?

Soulwalker

Default Which calling/spec is the most needed/least played?

I spoke to a guy on my server earlier today and he told me that currently, mages are the least played calling in the game. What confused me of this, is that I see mages everywhere I go.

I see alot of warriors and, lets not even talk about rogues, clerics. Then he told me that at endgame levels, there were virtually no dedicated (cleric) healers around. That confused me even more, since he initially told me that mages are the least played calling in the game.

Then he had to log off to play his bard, lol.

So I was wondering if I could get some input from anyone having played alot of WF and dungeons on endgame levels. Is there a need for healers (both dungeon/raid-wise, and pvp)? Do people give up mage before getting endgame (speaking of lvl 42 ofc)?

He also told me that good tanks are in high demand. But I usually see a somewhat good balance of demand between roles for IT at low levels... But I dont know about high levels.

I would like to know, since I still have problems figuring out my calling on release. In WoW I was a really good tank, and i've been a really good healer as well... Was never much for dps, because I found that I enjoyed playing the most needed class the most. But since this isn't WoW, I thought I would give mage dps a shot (not chloromancer healing).

So, what do you guys think?

Good tanks and good healers are always in demand in any MMO. The key term being good. A good tank and/or good healer can really carry an instance.

However Rift also has some nice flexibility in that off healers are nice as well. Bards are in high demand by healers for instances because they can apply nice group heals and damage while the cleric concentrates on the tank.

Soulwalker

That goes without saying.

Im more interested in knowing what your experience has been so far, in regards to how much demand there were for any particular role at the higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Very View Post
    That goes without saying.

Im more interested in knowing what your experience has been so far, in regards to how much demand there were for any particular role at the higher levels.
    He pretty much told you.
    Tanks / Heal Clerics / Bard and obviously dps. Though as of now the dps does not have to be a mage. Warriors / Rogues dps just as well and CC, from what i heard, is not needed as much in pve as in other games. Which saddens me and i hope that is not entirely true.

What souls or even callings though has yet to be seen as the game is not even out yet and balancing is still done.
    You could well end up in a group with a cleric tank, a warrior ranged dps, a mage healer and a rogue off tank.
    Last edited by Mucera; 02-20-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucera View Post
    He pretty much told you.
    Not really.

He said that good healers and tanks are always in demand, which is true, but hardly an answer to the OP's question.

I too would like to hear from max level players how classes/souls are spread out at 42.
    G.T.L.

Gaming. Table tennis. Library.

IT'S T-SHIRT TIME!!!

Character:

[GUARDIAN] Level 4X High Elf Rogue

On my server at the moment (round the same level as me) Rogues are the most played, mages the least.

My toon is a L42 mage and in almost every warfront I join, I am the only mage. (I guess we get killed to fast L40+ in warfront)

The last 5 instances, we had 1 mage (me), 7-8 rouges, 1-2 clerics and a warrior 2-3 warriors

Warriors and Rogues do high dps (and bards just don't die!)
    Clerics are not very popular (almost none go heal, all the ones I have seen a dps speced)

So I think mages are the least played after L20

Before L20, a lot of people play Mages, but after seeing how powerful Rogues are, and that even a dps speced Mage can't out damage dps rogues/warrors. Most of them switch.

I keeped the mage, as I am warlock\cholor and I like the healing build mage. My nukes are my heals And as a Healer, I get instance invites
    Last edited by Natjur; 02-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Natjur View Post
    On my server at the moment (round the same level as me) Rogues are the most played, mages the least.

My toon is a L42 mage and in almost every warfront I join, I am the only mage. (I guess we get killed to fast L40+ in warfront)

The last 5 instances, we had 1 mage (me), 7-8 rouges, 1-2 clerics and a warrior 2-3 warriors

Warriors and Rogues do high dps (and bards just don't die!)
    Clerics are not very popular (almost none go heal, all the ones I have seen a dps speced)

So I think mages are the least played after L20

Before L20, a lot of people play Mages, but after seeing how powerful Rogues are, and that even a dps speced Mage can't out damage dps rogues/warrors. Most of them switch.

I keeped the mage, as I am warlock\cholor and I like the healing build mage. My nukes are my heals And as a Healer, I get instance invites
    Thanks man, this clarified my question.

I know these threads are always going to exist in every new MMO but I need to point out a few things....

1) The idea that any spec is going to be truly rare in a game of (hopefully) hundred of thousands of players is ludicrous. If that is the case that means the spec is broken and wouldn't be desired so why play it.

2) The idea that playing a rare but needed spec (as others have said Tanks and Healers are always in demand in MMO's) will get you easy groups will only get you as far as your skill takes you.

3) Which brings us to "Play what you like". You love playing a Rogue? Who cares if that's all you see? If you like it and your good not only will you enjoy the game more but you'll get groups and do well. If you play a spec that you don't love and/or aren't good at it won't matter how in demand it is.

Shadowlander

Wrong, dont play the class you want to play , play the class that will bring you where you want to go.
    If you plan to have fast group invites , or raid invites its likely that healers will be again in high demand, i see almost none in warfronts . Why ? Because healing is not much fun, you are the civil servant, but you are very usefull and will ever be alone.I also often see groups looking for tanks too so that pretty much like every other mmorpgs right now.

Make a tank, there's always never enough tanks to go around. Other than that, play whatever suits you.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

pryomancers, cause they are dead right now so no one will play one at 50 unless they get some changes... as far as most needed? well probably not :P

As you can switch souls and change what your speced so easy, all you have to work out is which calling you want to be

Warrior can be Main tank, dsp, some healing with rez
    Cleric can be Main tank, dps, Main healer with rez
    Rogues can be Main tank, CC, dps, backup healer no rez
    Mages can be dps, CC, Main healer with rez

So everyone needs a tank or a healer, all callings are needed as any one of them can be a tank/healer or both, if you have the right soul build. Just pick what you think will be fun.

Just have a second build if you want to feel neeeded.

My mage (L42) has all four builds used

Chlor/Warlock/Dom for instances (Main healer with CC)
    Warlock/Chlor/Ele for solo/pve/questing (dps with pet and heals)
    Warlock/Chlor/Archmage for PVP
    Dom/Archon/Necro for CC and raid buff bot for guild raids (do not try to level with this build, NO DPS!)
    Last edited by Natjur; 02-20-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Soulwalker

Wanna play the least played class? Main archon (Dugeon buff master) or Dominator (Dugeon CC and PVP CC). These guys are rare as ****.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by mortmal View Post
    If you plan to have fast group invites , or raid invites its likely that healers will be again in high demand, i see almost none in warfronts . Why ? Because healing is not much fun
    Everyone has a preference, and for me I find healing lots of fun. I guess I'm in the minority if healers are lacking, but don't be so quick to assume that there won't be healers because no one likes playing them.
    Hunbun - Female Dwarf Cleric - Faemist
    Missy - Female Kelari Warrior - Faemist
    Pilgrim - Male Mathosian Mage - Faemist

Default me too

Quote Originally Posted by Hunbun View Post
    Everyone has a preference, and for me I find healing lots of fun. I guess I'm in the minority if healers are lacking, but don't be so quick to assume that there won't be healers because no one likes playing them.
    I like healing also, but I hate being yelled at. I'm betting there's a lot of people out there just like me. Try yelling at your healers less and take responsibility for your own stupid mistakes (like not assisting the tank and pulling aggro on your cloth wearing self). You might find more people willing to heal if you hate on them less.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast