+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You know it's coming

Last edited by Chomag; 02-20-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Shadowlander

NoooOOOOOoooOOoOoOoOooO!

I love my riftblade so much, if only for the fact that I can consistently win duels with champs 6 levels higher than me and make them QQ.

While I know there is an inevitable nerf on a lot of the warrior classes and the saborogue, I think people are complaining for no specific reason. Hasn't anyone ever heard "If you can't beat them, join them?"

For instance, I like PvP - but I love PvE; getting nerfed in PvP will also nerf my PvEing DPS. I don't want that - that makes my favorite class way less useful. I also think it's funny how people roll melee and they expect to be able to consistently kill ranged, only to cry "OP" when it's not the case. Maybe they specced incorrectly, or whatever, but it's not my fault that their build sucks and lacks skills to close the distance. I think people are complaining so much because their builds just sorta suck. Not everything compliments everything else.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Do I? Or do I even care since the game isn't even released yet?

When that time comes and the only thing they serve is different colors of vanilla then I will quit playing, just as I had when EQ2 started trying to "balance" everything.

I don't care if a druid heals 32 points of damage after someone gets hit, a cleric heals 32 points of damage instantly, a shaman heals 32 points of damage over time or an inquisitor heals 32 points of damage in a slightly different way that I can't think of right now.

In the end all 4 healed only 32 points of damage with just a slightly different color to the heal.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSniper View Post
    When that time comes and the only thing they serve is different colors of vanilla then I will quit playing, just as I had when EQ2 started trying to "balance" everything.

I don't care if a druid heals 32 points of damage after someone gets hit, a cleric heals 32 points of damage instantly, a shaman heals 32 points of damage over time or an inquisitor heals 32 points of damage in a slightly different way that I can't think of right now.

In the end all 4 healed only 32 points of damage with just a slightly different color to the heal.
    Inquisitor healed with a proc heal that went off when your tank (or whoever you cast it on) got hit.
    I always liked my Inqui.

Anyhow, healers heal. They do it in different ways which is good, i dont see your point. Dont get me wrong, not trying to troll, i honestly dont see your argument.

Well my point was that they all did pretty much exactly the same thing. Every time the classes leveled up you got exactly the same thing that everyone else in your class type did, often only just the color of it was changed. (minor functional changes)

To me, that pretty much ended up making the game vanilla, because there wasn't really a big difference between classes.. Like in City of Heroes where you have mastermind, and while you unlock pets the same way between all primaries, your pets were very much different.

Pretty much people will constantly clamor for snarfs until everything is exactly the same all the way through, and then still call for more snarfs, until the game eventually closes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    I'm going to be more disappointed if they change things for 'balance' and it makes just normal pve play out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredstar View Post
    I'm going to be more disappointed if they change things for 'balance' and it makes just normal pve play out of whack.
    Well you know, carebears don't matter. Only PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSniper View Post
    Well you know, carebears don't matter. Only PVP.
    Obviously. With how people talk if the game isn't balanced for level 20 pvp obviously EVERYTHING IS BROKEN!

/hyperbole

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurfer View Post
    NoooOOOOOoooOOoOoOoOooO!

I love my riftblade so much, if only for the fact that I can consistently win duels with champs 6 levels higher than me and make them QQ.

While I know there is an inevitable nerf on a lot of the warrior classes and the saborogue, I think people are complaining for no specific reason. Hasn't anyone ever heard "If you can't beat them, join them?"

For instance, I like PvP - but I love PvE; getting nerfed in PvP will also nerf my PvEing DPS. I don't want that - that makes my favorite class way less useful. I also think it's funny how people roll melee and they expect to be able to consistently kill ranged, only to cry "OP" when it's not the case. Maybe they specced incorrectly, or whatever, but it's not my fault that their build sucks and lacks skills to close the distance. I think people are complaining so much because their builds just sorta suck. Not everything compliments everything else.
    Thanks for your contribution, mr. FotM.

Most people actually pick a class and/or soul based on some ideal or concept - not simply on what is currently the most powerful. This should be particularly true in Rift that, perhaps unjustly, boasts endlessly about diversity. Having cookie cutters specs in a game with this concept is thus beyond pathetic.

If you want "one role, one spec"-games, I suggest you go back to WoW and copy builds from better players than yourself.
    G.T.L.

Gaming. Table tennis. Library.

IT'S T-SHIRT TIME!!!

Character:

[GUARDIAN] Level 4X High Elf Rogue

If Trion hasn't learned by others' misstakes they will inevitably learn it the hard way.

One of my favourite quotes ever: Learn by other misstakes, you can't afford to make them all by yourself. Or something along those lines. Read it in an Ericsson ad.
    Last edited by pakes; 02-20-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrath View Post
    Thanks for your contribution, mr. FotM.

Most people actually pick a class and/or soul based on some ideal or concept - not simply on what is currently the most powerful. This should be particularly true in Rift that, perhaps unjustly, boasts endlessly about diversity. Having cookie cutters specs in a game with this concept is thus beyond pathetic.

If you want "one role, one spec"-games, I suggest you go back to WoW and copy builds from better players than yourself.
    The problem is people will always gravitate to play styles that can give the maximum return for least input of effort.

Hence why especially pet classes become very popular very easily because the input of effort becomes very low for alot of return in many cases. Myself I've found most every class can be a bit fun to toy around with although I rather like champion's style more myself (although I say this since the class I enjoy more is by and large the worst class in the game and as such I am not allowed to speak of it).

RB gets the high return for low input from the fact it gives a hint of mage without as much mageyness and the concept of a spellblade is always good stuff. You got the attractiveness of a smasher with a sword, with the coolness of magic. Numbers wise it works out to be strong and overall powerful for most levels due to static damage being fairly good and the difficulty of use being low to maintain a decent damage output, and especially so as it does not get hampered as much by conventional defenses (melee defenses) which many people have at all levels and know how to avoid melee to some degree.

With trion playing the numbers game a bit (if the notes are to be believed) and with resistances and the like along with PvP souls making more of an appearance at the higher end once we can GET at these things I'm sure we're likely to see less of RB whining and a large amount more complaint about classes who can CC and Control instead of dealing damage (We're looking at you Dominators!). RBs will still likely be the favorite for lower levels as we're apt to never see their attractiveness decrease due to looks/skill concept and the fact a non-physical ease of use ability makes it highly effective for a long while until the defenses DO appear on the battlefield to mitigate it.

We're unlikely to however see an overabundance of things like riftstalkers, blade dancers, assassins, dominators, champions, etc if my guessing is right due to them being a higher skill required for similar to greater returns.
    Last edited by Shatteredstar; 02-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Shadowlander

To be honest, I only hear people say good things about their class.
    In the other hand, it's possible they tried 3 other classes before :-)

But until now, popularity between classes/souls seems very well balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredstar View Post
    The problem is people will always gravitate to play styles that can give the maximum return for least input of effort.

Hence why especially pet classes become very popular very easily because the input of effort becomes very low for alot of return in many cases. Myself I've found most every class can be a bit fun to toy around with although I rather like champion's style more myself (although I say this since the class I enjoy more is by and large the worst class in the game and as such I am not allowed to speak of it).

RB gets the high return for low input from the fact it gives a hint of mage without as much mageyness and the concept of a spellblade is always good stuff. You got the attractiveness of a smasher with a sword, with the coolness of magic. Numbers wise it works out to be strong and overall powerful for most levels due to static damage being fairly good and the difficulty of use being low to maintain a decent damage output, and especially so as it does not get hampered as much by conventional defenses (melee defenses) which many people have at all levels and know how to avoid melee to some degree.

With trion playing the numbers game a bit (if the notes are to be believed) and with resistances and the like along with PvP souls making more of an appearance at the higher end once we can GET at these things I'm sure we're likely to see less of RB whining and a large amount more complaint about classes who can CC and Control instead of dealing damage (We're looking at you Dominators!). RBs will still likely be the favorite for lower levels as we're apt to never see their attractiveness decrease due to looks/skill concept and the fact a non-physical ease of use ability makes it highly effective for a long while until the defenses DO appear on the battlefield to mitigate it.

We're unlikely to however see an overabundance of things like riftstalkers, blade dancers, assassins, dominators, champions, etc if my guessing is right due to them being a higher skill required for similar to greater returns.
    Well said.

I too am enjoying my Champion and will probably roll that for launch no matter what happens in regards to buffs/nerfs. I'm just getting awfully tired of the old "you can just roll one yourself"-argument (often employed by the least skilled player base currently enjoying their reign of terror).

Balance is never truly attainable in a game like this, but it should always be an ideal - at least if the game wants to actively promote PvP.
    G.T.L.

Gaming. Table tennis. Library.

IT'S T-SHIRT TIME!!!

Character:

[GUARDIAN] Level 4X High Elf Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrath View Post
    Well said.

I too am enjoying my Champion and will probably roll that for launch no matter what happens in regards to buffs/nerfs. I'm just getting awfully tired of the old "you can just roll one yourself"-argument (often employed by the least skilled player base currently enjoying their reign of terror).

Balance is never truly attainable in a game like this, but it should always be an ideal - at least if the game wants to actively promote PvP.
    Well if you've perused the PvP souls a bit you'll see that high end competitive style pvp will almost guaranteed be requiring use of those. There are just TOO good of stuff in those souls for pvp to not use them.

Things like 15-20% less chance to be crit, multiple ways to get out of immobilizes/slows, warriors bringing things like Phalanx into the game, rogues bringing Ambush (omg that one is going to be AMAZING with good coordination/stealth.), Rift Tomb, Overload, and all sorts of other abilities that specifically can be used to respond to things like burst, turtling, heavy hitters, etc. The options presented by each branch of the PvP souls will likely cause them to completely overshadow the other souls for purposes of PvE which will cause Trion to be able to balance pvp for pvp while taking less issue with many of the pve abilities.

Heck Detaunt alone will make MANY classes angry since that Riftblade or Sabo who is blasting the person getting Detaunted and doing 50% less damage is gonna be MAAAAAAD if the person just ignores him after that while he's doing so much less.

The PvP souls are going to change the whole pvp landscape very easily, and as such make tactics a much greater thing to focus on rather then the normal style of play and people will have to learn. Especially those with the easy ways of playing will find the standard tactics don't work so well in an organized and prepared pvp setting.
    Last edited by Shatteredstar; 02-20-2011 at 03:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast