+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very, very basic class type counters.

Default Very, very basic class type counters.

Hi, I've noticed a lot of threads around the forums about nerfing certain classes/combos since they are countered hard by others. Since pvp in this game is very 'scissors, paper, rock'-ish, what we all need to understand is that no matter what build we make, there will be something out there that can consistently and easily counter us.

I whipped up a very quick and simple chart to illustrate the general countering system of, not only Rift, but just games in general. This is pure intuition and very basic. This is not meant to be hardcore theorycraft, I know I left out healers, hybrids etc. This is a simple visual for clarity's sake.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ssCounters.jpg

Of course there are going to be classes that belong in more than one of these labels, but try to apply the most fitting one. For example, an Assassin/Riftstalker is going to have physical damage, physical defense and magic defense, but should be counted as physical damage.

Essentially my point is, the arrow indicated what should be killing what consistently. If you are a magic damage class being killed by a magic defense character easily and consistently, that's not overpowered or broken, that's what is meant to happen.

Example: Mages are not meant to be able to kill Void Knights. Don't roll a mage expecting to be able to kill a class for which the whole purpose is to counter you.

Should the reverse ever prove true, eg. a physical tank can consistantly kill a mage or caster cleric, that is when discussion of adjustment should start.

tl:dr - Make sure your class is meant to be able to kill another before complaining about not being able to.
    Last edited by Provident; 02-20-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    The Defiant: Artificially engineered zombies that go back in time to save the world. Finally a faction I can get behind.

In theory yes, the problem is regular warriors and rogues DO kill mages quite consistently unless they get a major drop on you. There's just so many CC counters and their dmg is so subpar that life is very rough in mageville at the moment.
    Last edited by Relair; 02-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.

True, but warriors and rogues, or at least melee rogues, don't have a massive advantage over mages. I played a mage all last beta. I understand they do pitiful damage but they have utility out the butt.

From my experience in terms of a 1v1, as long as you can spec into a knockback and a slow, you should be able to beat most damage based warriors and rogues.

It's true that mages have nothing on marksman, but really there isn't much that does. Only bards from my experience. Marksmen really do need a bit of adjustment. Hit and Run is ridiculous. My marksman can 4 shot a mage if he's lucky. Pretty stupid.
    The Defiant: Artificially engineered zombies that go back in time to save the world. Finally a faction I can get behind.

+ Reply to Thread