+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Starting a mage without a pet is not viable

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default Starting a mage without a pet is not viable

    So I've made 3 mages to at least level 12. I know the Guardian starting stuff fairly well. On a 4th mage I decided to try a build without a pet (storm/dom/warlock). While I am not saying it's impossible to level, I will say that I found out what happens when you have 0% vitality... at level 7... from attempting level 6-7 quests.

    By level 7, the lack of a pet is so unforgiving for a non-pet mage build that any add is a near guaranteed death. Any respawn, any wanderer, any bad kite... death. A 2 second cast Transmogrify did not provide the needed finesse to stabilize the issue since I was at 1/3 health by the time it was completed due to pushback from 2 enemies.

    I sincerely hope the devs take the time to rebalance the early game for mages. I happen to be one of the players who enjoy pet classes, so I'll get by. But I know way too many players who would rather not play a mage than be forced to use a pet in order to have a reasonable leveling experience. Making 2 of the 8 trees that important to the leveling experience is a big mistake.

  2. #2
    XiL
    XiL is offline
    Champion of Telara XiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ever"Green" State
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    I am leaning towards an extreme misunderstanding about the intended mechanics as being the culprit here. I can assure you with utter certainty that any 0 soul point spec using those 3 souls can successfully quest completely naked to level 20 and probably continue on with a bit of practice.

    I really can't imagine what you are doing to run into so much difficulty without using a pet but the Mage calling allows you to use them. If you are having trouble without a pet you should probably just use a pet soul.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    While it's not impossible to level without a mage pet, it's certainly much more difficult than with one. I'm running an Elementalist/Chloro (which is basically as surviveable as you can possibly get) and have absolutely no issues with any numbers off adds or pulls, and can easily solo elites and such. For my second spec I wanted to test out various things--at the moment I have a mainly Pyromancer build and while it absolutely destroys mobs much, much quicker than the main role, if I don't plan the fights well, or if a patrol wanders by, or...well, or anything happens...I'm in big trouble.

    You don't absolutely need a pet, of course, if you build properly for solo play, but even that kinda limits you to certain souls. Stormcaller for slows/roots/cc, or Warlock for self-healing and such.

    It's all kinda moot, though, since you can have multiple roles and swap through them easily. Grab a pet/survival spec for tough mobs or congested areas or solo rifting, and grab a nuking/dps spec if you're questing below your level or the mobs are spread out enough.

  4. #4
    XiL
    XiL is offline
    Champion of Telara XiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ever"Green" State
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smags View Post
    It's all kinda moot, though, since you can have multiple roles and swap through them easily.
    This is absolutely true.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

  5. #5
    Rift Master BladeDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Runeterra, Ecclesia
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    This is absolutely true.
    You cant do this at starting area though.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    As someone who currently plays a level 30 stormcaller/warlock/dominator I honestly don't know how you managed to have such a rough time of things. This soul combo feels -incredibly- balanced to me compared to some of the other mage souls I've tried (granted, it can be a bit complicated at higher levels) and even if a mob spawns right on top of you it's quite easy to just snare/cc it and move unless you're playing recklessly.

    And if you really are dying so much in the starter area well... I honestly don't know what to say seeing as I managed to finish that place with this soul combo and not spending a single soul point in any of them :x

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    I am leaning towards an extreme misunderstanding about the intended mechanics as being the culprit here. I can assure you with utter certainty that any 0 soul point spec using those 3 souls can successfully quest completely naked to level 20 and probably continue on with a bit of practice.

    I really can't imagine what you are doing to run into so much difficulty without using a pet but the Mage calling allows you to use them. If you are having trouble without a pet you should probably just use a pet soul.

    Just because you can hammer a nail through a board using a screwdriver, it doesn't make it a good idea.

    Alienating new players who do not know the "correct" method of specing their mage is poor design. Yes, a truly horrible spec should be appropriately difficult to play. But choosing the right gimmick (pet or healing) is not intuitive to many potential players.

  8. #8
    XiL
    XiL is offline
    Champion of Telara XiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ever"Green" State
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlah View Post
    Just because you can hammer a nail through a board using a screwdriver, it doesn't make it a good idea.

    Alienating new players who do not know the "correct" method of specing their mage is poor design. Yes, a truly horrible spec should be appropriately difficult to play. But choosing the right gimmick (pet or healing) is not intuitive to many potential players.
    Instead of picking out what you wanted to attack you should have read the whole post. I specifically stated you could use those 3 souls (with zero points spent) and be 100% successful questing to level 20. It has nothing to do with not knowing how to spec.

    The OP needs to "learn" the basic combat mechanics. That is the point. If he/she doesn't want to "learn" than he or she should just stick with what works. If you skim this and don't read again oh well. Yer bad.
    Last edited by XiL; 02-19-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkphyre View Post
    As someone who currently plays a level 30 stormcaller/warlock/dominator I honestly don't know how you managed to have such a rough time of things. This soul combo feels -incredibly- balanced to me compared to some of the other mage souls I've tried (granted, it can be a bit complicated at higher levels) and even if a mob spawns right on top of you it's quite easy to just snare/cc it and move unless you're playing recklessly.

    And if you really are dying so much in the starter area well... I honestly don't know what to say seeing as I managed to finish that place with this soul combo and not spending a single soul point in any of them :x
    I think the real issue is how easy some specs are. My Necro/Warlock/Chloro could handle an add at all levels. By around 12, I was intentionally grabbing extra adds without any risk. Granted, this spec is Holy Grail of mage gimmicks.

    The point is that if you choose not to take a pet (or healing) that you will either have to play much more carefully (slowly) or level in a group.

    I play mages as my primary in most MMOs. I enjoy both nuker and pet mages in WoW (Mage and Warlock), AoC (Demonologist and Necromancer), Aion (Sorcerer and Spiritmaster), Warhammer (Sorceress and Magus) and a few others. While there are always differences that make one class easier to level then the other, the difference between pet vs petless in Rift is way to large.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Instead of picking out what you wanted to attack you should have read the whole post. I specifically stated you could use those 3 souls (with zero points spent) and be 100% successful questing to level 20. It has nothing to do with not knowing how to spec..
    Actually, that was exactly what I was referring to with the screwdriver analogy.

  11. #11
    General of Telara Relair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Its easy to level a mage without a pet, there are plenty of roots/stuns/knockbacks/heals/snares/debuffs that almost any combination of souls can do just fine. Yes it takes slightly more effort but in alot of cases you can kill stuff before it even gets to you, and faster than a pet class would.

  12. #12
    Telaran Celeritylol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Lol, what? My warlock can regularly pull 3-4 mobs and survive easily without a pet.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Having done stormcaller / pyro to 20 (don't recall what the third soul was, but it wasn't a pet class) and chloro / archon / dom to 20, both levelling quite quickly and being quite survivable, I'd say it was perfectly possible to start a mage without a pet.

    Somewhere in the 20s I switched from chloro main to elementalist main, and I have to admit that the greater earth elemental feels like cheating, but I didn't find stormcaller or chloromancer significantly more challenging than souls from other callings.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker MajicPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Full pyro definitely cannot solo effectively. My 15 inquisitor nukes and solos much easier. A tree with little cc should hit very hard but spamming fireballs will get you nowhere. After tempest is moved to tier 6 it will be even worse. Why should we be forced into a certain spec just to solo? We aren't priests we're mages and pyro should kill all targets before they get to you.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts