+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Riftblades

I like the Riftblade idea really, gives some flavor to things (and having a ranged attack made fighting the level 20 invasion guys with a group much easier since the AE wouldn't hit me at range when I was level 12 >.>)

It gives some flavor to the warrior class besides the standard "Run in, CHOP CHOP CHOP, repeat" ideas.

Numbers balancing will be done as they always are, but its unlikely to make people happy, I just think too many people are clinging to other concepts for each class (warriors MUST only melee, rogues can't tank, clerics can't tank, mages can't heal, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by darkendelf View Post
    You realize those patch notes are potentially fake right?
    That would be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by darkendelf View Post
    You realize those patch notes are potentially fake right?
    No these are 100% real patch notes, and they will be implemented with the launch of head start, or perhaps late open beta

I'm just hoping we see something like the DoT removed but the base damage raised slightly to compensate, otherwise it may well create a big hit on the damage.

I could see an easier way to balance it being to tweak the scaling of the ability, ratchet the boost the damage gets from stats/level down by like 5% increments until a happy point was found.

Riftblade is a fun Warrior class..in groups they can be really devestating against most classes,the trick is using Resistance Auras..etc.

When Im in Black Garden and I see 3 Riftblades I start twisting my Motifs to enhance magical Resistances.The problem is that as people level up they avoid putting points into Magical Defense.A great example of that is the Rogue Nightblade..3 tiers in they get Fire and Death Attunement which increases their Resistance and Damage but a lot of people done take it because they seldom use the Nightblades Elemental attacks.

Just have to plan ahead..right now my biggest beef is with Transmogrify.Its supposed to Break on Damage but many times when I am AoE Healing in Bard Spec Ill get Squirreled and be taking Damage and it wont break. =(

:Vysceral-High Elf Rogue:
    :Ammwyn(Amwynn)-Mathosian Warrior:

Quote Originally Posted by Aengar View Post
    Just have to plan ahead..right now my biggest beef is with Transmogrify.Its supposed to Break on Damage but many times when I am AoE Healing in Bard Spec Ill get Squirreled and be taking Damage and it wont break. =(
    yea, the upgrade allows it to take 5% of the dominators health in dmg plus 0.5% for every point stuck in dominator if the opponent is over 70% health, which at 40 points in dom means 25% of their health in dmg. This might be too much for a setup move imo.

Yea thats a little much..I mean eventually come release Ill have my PvP soul with my "shrug" ability but even then its on a Cooldown.Usually I just hope my Motif of Regen keeps me alive through the damage till I can pop a Cadence heh.

:Vysceral-High Elf Rogue:
    :Ammwyn(Amwynn)-Mathosian Warrior:

Quote Originally Posted by snubi View Post
    Totally agree, a warrior shouldnt be ranged. but thankfully it gets nerfed in the next patch big time.

From the next patch notes:

* Flamespear: No longer has a damage over time component and had its damage values updated.
    how do you consider that a nerf? sounds to me like they removed the dot portion and upped the damage to make it a DD

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstlye View Post
    It's the most ridiculous class i've ever seen, besides a sabatour.. I wanted to roll a mage for ranged DPS, but i might as well roll riftblade, better armor, survivability, and their instant cast skills do more damage than my 2 second casts....
    Not exactly... your mage can out control and self-heal. I've never seen a Riftblade take down a good Lich Necro/Warlock. He has sustained dps, but it's the rogues that kill people in two seconds flat.

But also the guys sporting Riftblade builds have two things going for them. Damage and chase skills. Mages can be healers, Rogues can be tanks, and Riftblades can be short ranged sustained nukers. It's just Trion's way of making all the classes have access to "alternate roles". Marksmen have a range advantage, Mages also have a little range on the warrior and the ability to cast disabling spells, not just roots/snares.

Granted, the Riftblade is scary to other ranged classes, but Champion would be better for stunning and slaying those clerics with an Epic two-hander. Paragons get to pretend they're rogues, Beastmasters are the pet class, and the rest are all defensive tanks. Warriors need to have dps options, just as the other classes have tank/healer/support options. The amount of damage is sustainably high but face a stunlocking assassin, nuking saboteur, or long distance shot-on-the-run marksman and you're just as terrified.

As for mages... blame the devs for making the one nuking mage dps soul need to stay perfectly still most of the fight. Staying still doesn't work in PVP. That's why everyone's a Warlock or Necro, less damage and more survival. Pyromancer needs more stuns.

That's not to say Riftblades don't need nerfing, but tweaking is the better term... in no way are they going to stop spear spamming, it's just part of the class design that they be short ranged pursuers.
    Last edited by Lord Semaj; 02-19-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Shadowlander

The biggest problem is not the riftblade alone but the paladin/riftblade combo. It is quite ridiculous to see a lot heavy plated sword&board, heavy defense warriors who do nothing but jumping around and spam frozen armor,flamespear and flameburst (and having virtually infinite, fast recharging resource pool).

When I made a riftblade to see it and I could kill mobs that even cannot reach me and die meters away from me I laughed my *** off. What is this? A mage in a plate? Bad idea.
    Last edited by Morzul; 02-19-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morzul View Post
    The biggest problem is not the riftblade alone but the paladin/riftblade combo. It is quite ridiculous to see a lot heavy plated sword&board, heavy defense warriors who do nothing but jumping around and spam frozen armor,flamespear and flameburst (and having virtually infinite, fast recharging resource pool).

When I made a riftblade to see it and I could kill mobs that even cannot reach me and die meters away from me I laughed my *** off. What is this? A mage in a plate? Bad idea.
    Exactly, the shield/sword thing is the issue, not the Riftblade. Heck, even without Paladin, a Rifter can get great armor class and shield blocking. They don't need to nerf Flamespear's dot component, they need to make it based on weapon damage. Use a two-hander for more of it, but you're going to be squishier.

As for mage in plate... the Mages can currently Transmogrify, gain a +50% damage vs the squirreled target, and then nuke it down 30% before it breaks. Then repeat the process. With no cooldown. Playing a mage means relying on more than just burst damage, and you get the most effect in groups as opposed to solo.
    Last edited by Lord Semaj; 02-19-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morzul View Post
    The biggest problem is not the riftblade alone but the paladin/riftblade combo. It is quite ridiculous to see a lot heavy plated sword&board, heavy defense warriors who do nothing but jumping around and spam frozen armor,flamespear and flameburst.

I don't see how having ranged is a 'black mark' having the ability in your arsenal to throw ranged damage as a warrior is actually rather nice, and rift blade mixes things up from the standard style of warriors.

Your argument makes no good point really and just seems to be an opinion piece that warriors should only melee and nothing but.

If you have such an issue with that playstyle maybe thinking of suggestions like oh, maybe a higher coold own on Frozen Armor might reduce the power of that playstyle? Say boosting it to 10-12 seconds which would greatly weaken the power. Maybe suggest an idea for scaling difference or numbers difference in a small or moderate way?

You make plate sound like NOONE ELSE but mages does non-physical damage, hate to be the one to tell you though, every other class has non-physical damage too, many of which can be done at range. Shock and horror I assure you.

And if you got issues with Frozen Armor then getting nuked, the Dominators would like a word with you to slap you around a little for fun.
    Last edited by Shatteredstar; 02-19-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune100 View Post
    Oh I think the class is interesting and a bit of fresh air, but that's not what I was talking about.

If you still don't have a clue, well, look around the board and engage your brain
    That goes for you as well skippy. Next patch the flamespear is doa.So either you just wanted to jump on the banwagon to get some reaction or you like to preach but not pay heed

Shadowlander

I did not say anything about the dmg TYPE. If you do not understand why it is bad to give a very heavy defense WITH a snare last longer than its cooldown and quite damaging ranged attack with a virtually infinite resource pool, then it is your problem. (This was an answer to Shatteredstar's post above)
    Last edited by Morzul; 02-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Shields are armor, thus a shield is only going to boost your defense against physical attacks. Hence my taking issue to the words about the shield being the issue you're taking with the class.

So it would be fine if a 2h user jumped around doing the exact same thing? No, your issue is with the ability, not the defense. The shield is merely a token aspect of this whole discussion.

Suggest something to resolve the issue and brainstorm on that, not simply cry OP and then present nothing of how you might determine a suitable solution to the problem.

Also does a solution already exist? It seems there is in terms of the changing of the ability, but if the Frozen armor is also an issue in conjunction with the abilities then perhaps Frozen Armor is also a possible culprit of the trouble and could use a suggestion or two also (as I provided). So what if a warrior can do decent damage at ranged? Due to the prevalence of non-physical damage in the game the plate armor argument is much more weak in Rift then other games. Also take note Mages can CC and heal, rogues can tank, dps, and light heal, clerics can tank, heal, and dps. Paradigms, they be shiftin!

You so far have provided little to go on besides the standard fussing.
    Last edited by Shatteredstar; 02-19-2011 at 05:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast