+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When do DoTs stop being pathetic?

General of Telara

Default When do DoTs stop being pathetic?

Just wondering? Just for laughs I put up 3 DoTs on a non elite level 10 mob with my lvl 22 necro/warlock. It took the entire duration of them all to kill it. Please explain how 3 rank 5 DoTs from a level 22 character can possibly require the full durations just to kill something thats level 10? Now if it takes that long to kill something half my level how am I supposed to kill stuff that is my level. And PvP? LoL sure i can tab spam and top the damage done but I end up with 0 KBs and can watch everyone's health stay at 100%. Even the pathetic self heals from melee clerics are more than enough to negate my DoTs. Right now I just dont even know why they are even in the game in their current state.

If you are topping the damage meters then you just answered your own question. It's not your DoTs' fault that the enemy healers are casting heals. You're part of a team. You are doing your bit. The people that are supposed to burst damage or lockout the healers are not.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Howl_UK View Post
    If you are topping the damage meters then you just answered your own question. It's not your DoTs' fault that the enemy healers are casting heals. You're part of a team. You are doing your bit. The people that are supposed to burst damage or lockout the healers are not.
    So damage is fine when 3 of them at rank 5 take 10 seconds to kill a level 10 mob?
    Last edited by thomasmgp; 02-18-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Soulwalker

He does have a point though - it should not take the entire duration of 3 separate DOts to kill a mob that is less than half the caster's level. That shows that DPS is way out of kilter.

General of Telara

I gave up trying to play my warlock/necro as a DoT class. I changed my spec to this and Im doing a lot better just bolt spamming.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zqvR.Vb.es0h0VM
    Last edited by thomasmgp; 02-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Ascendant

The only DoT class worth a damn is reaver/rift. DoTs don't even play their part of wearing down the enemy due to overpowered bard AE heals, but with reaver it's just as easy to spread your dots as it is to heal them. Warlock = waste every global for pissy warlock DoT damage when you're better off spamming the AoE.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 02-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Shield of Telara

Some people forget that necro is primarily a pet class. Look at the skills we get in the tree and you will see that the pet should be doing over 50% of your damage. As for Warlock I think they do great damage when paired up with a necro, and in pvp the damage is nice.

Ascendant

Also known as:

"Why does the other team keep healing themselves? Don't they know I'm supposed to kill all of them?"

A DoT class like Warlock plays a very important role in PVP. Everyone who ISN'T either healing themselves or being healed will die a slow, painful death and there is nothing they can do about it. DoT's force players to call off the offensive and run back to the healers, as well.

Find that lone rogue behind enemy lines? Stack your DoT's on him and he's completely screwed unless he gets heals.

A DoT class just isn't there to finish people off. That's the nature of damage when it takes place... OVER TIME.

Telaran

Due to the outrageous amount of damage mitigation available for each class, dont expect to be worth anything using just purely dots. You will need to mix it up a little and use some DD or melee to compliment those dots.

Think! Learn! Adapt!
    Last edited by corky_aloof; 02-18-2011 at 02:18 PM.

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

dots are there as dps buffers. if it ticks for 100 every 3 seconds, and you're casting a 3 second direct damage spell for 800, you are now doing 900 every 3 seconds.

don't expect dots just to be fire and forget and completely own someone.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Ljubavi View Post
    dots are there as dps buffers. if it ticks for 100 every 3 seconds, and you're casting a 3 second direct damage spell for 800, you are now doing 900 every 3 seconds.

don't expect dots just to be fire and forget and completely own someone.
    They are still bad in PvE. Did you miss the part where 3 of my DoTs ar level 22 took their full durations to kill a level 10 mob. A single DoT should kill a level 10 mob not everyone i have. The damage on them is laughable. I have played DoT classes in Everquest(necro), DAoC (bonedancer and cabalist), and in WoW (warlock and spriest) all to the highest level. The DoTs in this game are by far the weakest in anything I have ever played. I dont expect to cast them on someone and run off to let them die but I expect them to do damage. They might as well just remove them from the game right now because they are worthless. Only time they are slightly useful is if you AoE grind and combine them with something like Devouring shadows. But even then a Stormcaller will do better AoE DPS and kill stuff faster.

The thing with dots is that they scale really well.

So basically - the higher your spell power/ crit the better dots will be - which is why at low levels dots aren't as effective as nuking.

They are also not meant to be used alone and often buff the caster in some way or debuff the target (I don't know your souls well enough or know which dots you used - some do seem to be just damage dots which I would assume do more dmg per tick than non-cast dots)

Think of it like this (assuming 0 haste and 0 crit):
    Spell 1 has a 2 second cast and does 50dmg
    Spell 2 is a dot and does 100dmg over 5 seconds

Those 2 spells do the same amount of damage over 5 seconds, over 2 seconds though the one with the cast time will do more.

But if you combine them by casting a dot - then casting the one with the cast time twice, you are doing more damage in the same amount of time as you would just casting either of those.

Plane Touched

My assassin DoTs (3) if left alone and nothing else kill a mage the same level (37) as me if they tick the full duration. Your DoTs just sound bad.

They just added Dots can crit last patch. Thats a pretty big deal.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post
    Also known as:

"Why does the other team keep healing themselves? Don't they know I'm supposed to kill all of them?"

A DoT class like Warlock plays a very important role in PVP. Everyone who ISN'T either healing themselves or being healed will die a slow, painful death and there is nothing they can do about it. DoT's force players to call off the offensive and run back to the healers, as well.

Find that lone rogue behind enemy lines? Stack your DoT's on him and he's completely screwed unless he gets heals.

A DoT class just isn't there to finish people off. That's the nature of damage when it takes place... OVER TIME.
    In most games there isn't a healer with an energy bar designed to AoE heal entire raids. DoTs are ****, you can't even slowly hurt healers mana bars by spreading warlock dots thanks to bards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast