+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balance (inc trolls, mez west)

Default Balance (inc trolls, mez west)

Can someone honestly tell me they have played a game that is completely balanced? For example, WoW has been out for 7 years (or so) and they are still balancing to this day. Weather people like to admit it or not the design team behind WoW is brilliant and has the money to employ their ideas. Even with that, they still can't create perfect class balance. Also, MMO's change all the time, expansion, etc, so that would throw everything out of wack again. It is almost impossible to have perfect class balance without making them so similar that it would be boring. In my opinion the best system (pvp related) is class X counters class Y and is weak against class Z. That way a group would consist of several different classes that compliment each other and have the ability to take down anything that comes at them if they play it well. Rather than having several of the "OP" class followed by one healer.

Class balance for PvE just requires time. People should not freak out because "this guy does so much dmg and my guy sucks QQ". It's a work in progress, play the class you find the most fun or interesting, and the balance will come (theoretically). Getting the characters that interest people out there is step one, polishing them up and making it a relatively even playing field is the part that the developers need time to work on. If you enjoy a dps class, but can't currently keep up with the latest "number crunched wtfpwn class", relax, if its thats far ahead of you and you are both designed to be dps, a balance will more than likely come. They have to keep the players happy to keep making money. And for the ones who recieve the so called "nerf", unless its overboard and your face was smashed into the dirt, don't get on the forums and whine because you can't pull 15 mobs and AoE them down in 2 shots anymore. ;)

Sum up, yes it sucks when someone is far more OP than you and found the ultimate combo. But that won't last, if it is that ridiculous, it will be changed. It also sucks when you get nerfed, no one likes numbers to go down. Try to remember it is an attempt to even things out. People don't seem to understand that it is a work in progress. Contribute your opinions to class balance without flaming, make good suggestions, and offer up realistic ideas, it is us the player who is on the ground so to speak and can look and say that this would work or would not work....what not to do --> "This game sucks im not buying it because this guy is OP". And if you do want to be the end all be all class and smash everything else, go player a single player game and massacre everything in your path, because lets be honest, it is fun once in a while.

The name says it all.... RIFT Beta T E S T.
    [WoW] WideSpread Bloodshed - Alliance - KT / [DAoC] Anathema Returns - Albion - Ywain1

Rift Chaser

Yeah i played a browser based mmorpg that was perfectly balanced, for the end game. It was so balanced in fact, evey one, no matter your class, instantly killed each other in one attack. Every single fight was a tie, unless someone got lucky and dodged.

And i wouldnt be surprised if alot of things arnt fixed... when a class is OP, alot of people flock too it. If they nerf it, they get alot of angry players. I remember back in the Corum beta, the hands down craziest OP class was the summoner. This was a class that could literally hunt afk because his 3 pets were a tank, a healer, and a mage. Never needing to use his own spells, summoners maxed vitality, giving them more hp than fighters. In pvp killing the pets was not an option, you had to run through them and attack the summoner, who didnt really need to even get out of the way before his pets would nail you. In PvE they could fight much higher level monsters, even RAID BOSSES, they could SOLO pretty much any boss at the time, so they'd always have the best gear. They dominated every aspect of the game, and yet, look at the forum, cries for balance were met with ridicule and insults, desperate summoners argued that they were only slightly godly, and if they couldnt solo bosses they would be 'broken'. I didnt play long enough to see if they were finally nerfed, was taking too long.

Some things should be obvious, i dont think the VK as a tank should have so much devastating damage, hes 1 soul that counters 2 entire classes (mana users) and can hold his own against most others.
    And flamespear, it was stronger than power attacks at low level, now at mid level 30's its STILL stronger than them, assuming by level 50 its only AS strong as power attack, thats still too much (ranged, dot). The fact that it doesnt scale with weapons just means they'll use a shield and be a high dps tank. Hopefully people will be reasonable about it, not many confess when their class is a little broken.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDain View Post
    Yeah i played a browser based mmorpg that was perfectly balanced, for the end game. It was so balanced in fact, evey one, no matter your class, instantly killed each other in one attack. Every single fight was a tie, unless someone got lucky and dodged.

And i wouldnt be surprised if alot of things arnt fixed... when a class is OP, alot of people flock too it. If they nerf it, they get alot of angry players. I remember back in the Corum beta, the hands down craziest OP class was the summoner. This was a class that could literally hunt afk because his 3 pets were a tank, a healer, and a mage. Never needing to use his own spells, summoners maxed vitality, giving them more hp than fighters. In pvp killing the pets was not an option, you had to run through them and attack the summoner, who didnt really need to even get out of the way before his pets would nail you. In PvE they could fight much higher level monsters, even RAID BOSSES, they could SOLO pretty much any boss at the time, so they'd always have the best gear. They dominated every aspect of the game, and yet, look at the forum, cries for balance were met with ridicule and insults, desperate summoners argued that they were only slightly godly, and if they couldnt solo bosses they would be 'broken'. I didnt play long enough to see if they were finally nerfed, was taking too long.

Some things should be obvious, i dont think the VK as a tank should have so much devastating damage, hes 1 soul that counters 2 entire classes (mana users) and can hold his own against most others.
    And flamespear, it was stronger than power attacks at low level, now at mid level 30's its STILL stronger than them, assuming by level 50 its only AS strong as power attack, thats still too much (ranged, dot). The fact that it doesnt scale with weapons just means they'll use a shield and be a high dps tank. Hopefully people will be reasonable about it, not many confess when their class is a little broken.
    Well first paragraph, I suppose that is balance, but that is ridiculous and as a browser based MMO I'm sure it was not an excellent team behind it.

And with Corum, I have never even heard of it. Which also leads me to believe the game failed due to issues such as you described. That was my point, if they don't balance the game, it will fail. Trion is a large company who is not making a browser based MMO and has changed the classes with every Beta to test things out. We can contribute to the changes, or flame and QQ. They will lose more (if not all) players in a completely unbalanced game than they would nerfing an OP class. Now they don't seem to be stupid, so my guess is they will aim for balance.
    [WoW] WideSpread Bloodshed - Alliance - KT / [DAoC] Anathema Returns - Albion - Ywain1

Soulwalker

Um, wow ignored the players for 3 complete years and let classes become more unbalanced for even attempting to fix them.

Sure some of the classes are unbalanced in pvp. Its beta. They'll fix it. From what ive seen/read trion is listening to the players and working on doing everything possible to make everyone happy.
    If you a mage. Stay the hell away from a VK, idk the range on discharge nor do i care, Mages have stuns and roots and pushbacks. Use them and stop creating pointless threads about "Balance" seriously.

+ Reply to Thread