+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What calling/souls have the easiest time getting contribution points on rifts?

Shadowlander

Default What calling/souls have the easiest time getting contribution points on rifts?

I've been getting a little frustrated lately with rifts. I'm pretty sure it's not my performance, although anything is possible. What I target, dies fast. I use my abilities intelligently and don't just spam them (building up combos, stacking dots on mobs that live long enough, AOE when I can get away with it, etc.). If i'm healing, I don't just spam heals on people that don't need it; I heal actual damage instead of over-healing. Tanking... well, I haven't had any luck, when every earth elemental steals agro all the time from me, but I've held onto several mobs a couple times and have gotten nothing special out of it.

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I don't seem to have a high contribution regardless of what calling/character I am playing. Granted, when there's 10+ people in a Rift, nobody in the group has performance that is "necessary" towards defeating it, but still.

At first, I thought it was because there were always higher level players at the Rift, and that because of them, I was getting the short end of the stick. Recently, I saw a corrupted sourceshard get dropped onto a level 8 rogue.

This wouldn't be a problem if those shards weren't so important towards getting gear that is significantly better then quest drops.

Is contribution random? Are there some things I can do to skew it in my favor? (By doing what I'm supposed to, not cheesing the system - if i'm a healer, I'd heal.)

Are the chances of obtaining a corrupted sourceshard based on your level compared to the rift/mob? (ie., if you're appropriate level, you have a higher chance than if you were much higher?)

It seems to me like hitting buttons at random has just as much of a chance of success then going out of my way to use a 'rotation.'

I'm reasonably certain that Trion hasn't released anything more than "DPS gets points for DPSing, healers get points for healing..." and what-not, so has anyone else been able to figure anything more out?

I'd like to be able to get my grubby mitts on some of that equipment before I move on to the next zone and it goes out of date like last months meatloaf.
    Last edited by Detton; 02-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Detton View Post
    I've been getting a little frustrated lately with rifts. I'm pretty sure it's not my performance, although anything is possible. What I target, dies fast. I use my abilities intelligently and don't just spam them (building up combos, stacking dots on mobs that live long enough, AOE when I can get away with it, etc.). If i'm healing, I don't just spam heals on people that don't need it; I heal actual damage instead of over-healing. Tanking... well, I haven't had any luck, when every earth elemental steals agro all the time from me, but I've held onto several mobs a couple times and have gotten nothing special out of it.

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I don't seem to have a high contribution regardless of what calling/character I am playing. Granted, when there's 10+ people in a Rift, nobody in the group has performance that is "necessary" towards defeating it, but still.

At first, I thought it was because there were always higher level players at the Rift, and that because of them, I was getting the short end of the stick. Recently, I saw a corrupted sourceshard get dropped onto a level 8 rogue.

This wouldn't be a problem if those shards weren't so important towards getting gear that is significantly better then quest drops.

Is contribution random? Are there some things I can do to skew it in my favor? (By doing what I'm supposed to, not cheesing the system - if i'm a healer, I'd heal.)

Are the chances of obtaining a corrupted sourceshard based on your level compared to the rift/mob? (ie., if you're appropriate level, you have a higher chance than if you were much higher?)

It seems to me like hitting buttons at random has just as much of a chance of success then going out of my way to use a 'rotation.'

I'm reasonably certain that Trion hasn't released anything more than "DPS gets points for DPSing, healers get points for healing..." and what-not, so has anyone else been able to figure anything more out?

I'd like to be able to get my grubby mitts on some of that equipment before I move on to the next zone and it goes out of date like last months meatloaf.
    I heard healers spamming heals on people at full hp would get max contribution (...). Perhaps you had people doing that...

Telaran

A couple of observations I'm had about rifts (Warlock/Necro):
    • DoTing everything increases my contribution A LOT
    • Although AoE does a lot of damage, it really doesn't boost my contribution much
    • Warlocks are OP against Rifts Self-heals, never-ending mana, dots, decently strong nuke

Shadowlander

It's possible (the healers spamming on people already at full health.)

Also, would being a Chloromancer "double-dip" the contribution? Being as they are doing damage AND healing (as well as healing people who would be at max health, on top of that.)

Maybe I should move my rogue to Bard for rifts... I dunno.

I'll give dotting up several mobs at once a shot, and avoiding AOE. I could see there being something to limit peoples' tendency to just AOE blow stuff up.

Healing a raid I get top contribution everytime.

Telaran

Seems contribution is based on actions made. Spamming a 3 sec cast heal versus a insta HoT the hot will win it seems. My lock/necro is always on top because I just tab target and throw insta dots on mobs.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't believe I am.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rikam View Post
    Seems contribution is based on actions made. Spamming a 3 sec cast heal versus a insta HoT the hot will win it seems. My lock/necro is always on top because I just tab target and throw insta dots on mobs.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't believe I am.
    I believe that it is in fact actions per time period. So in answer to the original question, any calling with either quick casts or with abilities off the GCD have an advantage.

I have no problem getting gold contribution in every phase as a riftblade for warrior (hello bursts off GCD) or shaman (lots of reactive abilities).

Shadowlander

Thumbs down

Heh. any advice for a rogue or mage? I've tried several specs, ones that felt good like nightblade. no luck there (though I really liked how it played and felt) and riftstalker with even worse luck. liked it too, but neither did me any good. mage is hit or miss, better as chloromancer.

Soulwalker

With my mage on a warlock spec i always get high contribution, but with chloromancer I dont get near as much, I dont think over-healing adds to much and the dps of a chloro is really low.

My Stormcaller/Chloromancer combo is brutal in Rifts, usually in the top 3 when it's all said and done.

Shadowlander

Not that I'm particularly excited about the idea, but would Bard be one of the better options for rogues then, for the heals?

Or should I try to dot multiple things up with another class? Nightblade maybe, just tab - spear - tab - spear?

ive never been out contributed in a rift event. im a VK/RB and i just tab-spam discharge on all the mobs, usually get all the agro too

IXI

Spam HoTs on everyone, full health or not. Then spam instant heals (if you have/anyone needs healing) or instant damage. You'll gold every rift if you just spam instant spells.

If you want to be really lazy, just spam instants on whatever. I can get gold spam refreshing the same DoT on a mob the entire rift, even though each stage I might only take half of its HP.
    It's spelled "Riftdrawal", and yeah you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detton View Post

I've found that as a bard and spamming the 6 motifs + cadence = top, or at least close to top contribution in rift groups; as someone said b4 its based on the amount of actions taken over time, and spammable buffs (motifs) + the damage and healing from cadence is more than enough to do very well.
    "Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrows" (Auron, FFX)

+ Reply to Thread