+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nightblade

Default Nightblade

MMORPG .com just released a new class preview for the Nightblade. Based upon the description this class is a rogue who also has some access to magic. Guess we will wait to see the full details later on. Enjoy.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ightblade.html
    Warp

Soulwalker

very exciting.. looks fun

Just found the link on the facebook page. Nice assassin style stealth class.

Rogue class that wields some magic....very interesting.

"When a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you."

Access to Fire and Death magic...hrm...sounds interesting, due to the fact that usually, rogue classes aren't given magic

Oh my!! A necromantic rogue that plays with fire?! This is going to be fun. Will have to be one of my firstchars.

Awesome class. Awesome lore. This one definitely just jumped to my favorite class and will be hard to beat.

Not to go all WoW Kid, but I always thought a cross between a rogue and a warlock would be a neat combo. This looks to be like that, but cooler.

Where's that "necromantic" stuff coming from? It merely mentioned they can utilize death magics, not raise the dead.

... though that would be pretty cool. Although, I'd imagine trying to stealth through the shadows with a clinkity-clankity skeleton minion following you wouldn't work too well.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Where's that "necromantic" stuff coming from? It merely mentioned they can utilize death magics, not raise the dead.

... though that would be pretty cool. Although, I'd imagine trying to stealth through the shadows with a clinkity-clankity skeleton minion following you wouldn't work too well.
    I think they more mean enchant weapons with death and decay or with fire, maybe some basic spells but I doubt it would be like a melee necro. However I have to agree with you that would be rather interesting

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by toptenhammer class interview for age of conan assassin class
    The Assassin has a number of ways to utilize the effects of their chosen damage path, be it through stances, combos, or abilities. The first specialized feat available in their ‘Lotus’ and ‘Corruption’ trees will grant the respective stances used in association with either tree and allow the Assassin to deal passive poison and unholy damage on all of their melee attacks while active. Additionally, depending on the stance the Assassin is in at the time, their combos will take different forms and have slightly different effects corresponding with said stance.

Examples of this would be one combo which applies lingering poison damage while in Poison Stance (‘Poison Blades’) or deals instant unholy damage and collects Soul Fragments while in Unholy Stance (‘Corrupted Blades’.) As one might also expect, the optional special abilities found in either of the two trees are typically themed to match one of the two damage types or somehow interact with the nature of their respective stance.
    While I do like the Lore that the Trion team have put in for the Nightblade class, It is far from original. The quote above only partially points out the assassin class from age of conan imbuing their weapons with poison or unholy magic. There is a whole feat tree dedicated to each.

While I do think Rift is showing promise, I do not believe that this concept is original or inspiring at all. If it wasn't for the Lore and the nice little backstory propping it up It would just look like a cardboard cutout of AoC with fire magic instead of poison.

Just my thoughts anyway. Not saying its bad, just saying its rather boring.

what do we know about the nightblade?

Uses death and fire magic
    prefers light armour
    isn't just typical cloak n dagger
    stealth class.

If you give me this I tell you it's a rogue class who can use magic. Nothing new, nothing special, but I still know nothing about him. I can make stories based on his name and expectations based on other nightblades in other games, but in the end, it's just a name with a few points added.

And don't get started about unoriginal, let's not get into that trap. There is just so much left to be different until it's just trying to be different and not making sense. If you make a rogue who tanks wears a full plate dual wields weapons and stuff like that, it's too different for a rogue to play it and they'll just call it a mislabelled warrior. A lot has already been done and they will "copy" things from other games, but that's a good thing.

The concept of the Nightblade seems interesting, and yeah, that picture as sexy as hell. I wish I could wear a bandana like that and walk around with dual daggers...Alas, I'd get quickly arrested after many strange looks.

Anywho, its too early to judge. One thing I generally dont like on this arcehtype is the light armor, unless the class has mad skills on evasion or kiting (BLEH!). Then if its skills, those could better be reserved for massive DPS, which is what generally, this archetype is known for.

We'll just have to keep watching and waiting. Between this and blade dancer classes, so far, there is a class here for me

I feel like people are missing some new info in the screen shots:

1. First screen shot: Is that a mask? If not, the race of the character has little horns
    2. First screen shot: the contraption and tubing running along the ground give the impression that technology will play a bigger role in the lore of RIFT than just maybe some gun-powder
    3. First screen shot: CHECK OUT THE MOON (or whatever that is in the sky)! Totally bad-*** looking!

The second screen shot doesn't really show anything that impressive aside from the draw distance. The lighting effect at the chest of the skeleton could be a short range attack from the Nightblade, or it could be some type of ability of the skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaelstrom View Post
    I feel like people are missing some new info in the screen shots:

1. First screen shot: Is that a mask? If not, the race of the character has little horns
    2. First screen shot: the contraption and tubing running along the ground give the impression that technology will play a bigger role in the lore of RIFT than just maybe some gun-powder
    3. First screen shot: CHECK OUT THE MOON (or whatever that is in the sky)! Totally bad-*** looking!

The second screen shot doesn't really show anything that impressive aside from the draw distance. The lighting effect at the chest of the skeleton could be a short range attack from the Nightblade, or it could be some type of ability of the skeleton.
    When I read horns I was like wth are you talking about I went back to the screenshot and at first I thought it was the cap he was wearing. But it also seems like he has atleast two similiar horn / pointy things on his forehead. Zabrak's in RIFT? KICKASS! That's like ALMOST better than gnomes.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

It actually looks like a mask is strapped to his face - the area around the eyes is distinctly different coloured. The nose also looks as if it's more or less missing.

In other words, I sincerely doubt that whatever this guy is wielding is doing him favours in the looks department, which personally I think is AWESOME, considering there was discussion about how the class (and what you're using in said class) can affect how you appear. Elementalists are going to be rather emaciated and frail, and these guys look like corpses walking.

Made of win!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast