+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melee DoT soul?

Soulwalker

Default Melee DoT soul?

I really want to play a melee soul that focuses on dots, but I can't figure out what that would be. Reaver looks plausible, but I would prefer a rogue. Help?

Telaran

Honestly in high end part of the game assassins become the DOT spec for rogues, look at the bleeds and such, they seem to play much like a feral druid in wow, except the cat form of course. Dont think of the assassin as the burst champ you think they would be from previous games. In a nutshell its a dot class with great amounts of cc. They start out weak but scale very well with gear, dont be scared away in the begining, also i would recomend using ranger as a 3rd soul in the begining for the pet, helps alot while soloing. Anyways good luck and i hope this helped.

Plane Touched

Would definitely be assassin. I do believe reaver is ranged for the most part, can correct me if you want. Assassin has some beastly DoTs though that last forever and even if you die your target could die 10 seconds later from your DoTs.

Telaran

The reaver is not really ranged, just im guessing the OP is wanting the dots for dps, and since reaver is a tank soul, the only other true dps dot melee is assassin, so i agree there.

Reaver and Riftblade are good for DOTS with a 20m range. I am playing with a reaver/paladin/void knight right now and with enough points in reaver, you can add some aoe to your dots and get healed.

Soulwalker

When I looked at a summary of Assassins they didn't seem very dotty, but now that I think about it Ferals wouldn't either, and Feral is what I played and loved, and the style I'm going for. So I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone.

dear OP,

try the following, with enough points spent in assassin u can do the following. assuming ideal situations.
    open with jagged strike (18 second bleed with 2/2 physical trauma) = 3 combo points ( with 2/2 subterfuge )
    followed by puncture (18 second bleed with 2/2 physical trauma) = + 2 combo points
    finisher Impale (24 second bleed with 2/2 physical trauma)
    add to that perhaps a nice bleed from serrated blades on a crit.

use slip away and restart with stun rotation this time, in ideal situations u get a 8 second stun rotation with dmg while target is affected by 4 bleeds.

not so bad in pve and certainly not in pvp against warriors/clerics.

dont forget that with 3/3 cloak and daggers, u can certainly pull off the jagged/puncture/impale combo within 10 seconds to benefit from the 15% extra dmg on the bleeds.

cheers,
    steve
    Last edited by stdem; 02-17-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    The Unnamed - Bloodb
    The Unnamed Homepage
    one of my favorite quotes:
    "you don't quit gaming caus you grow old, you grow old caus you quit gaming"
    Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Ascendant

I've been doing Assassin/Blade Dancer (about even) and then a little bit of Riftstalker (2 points). It has been working extremely well in PVP. I use my assassin abilities to take down casters, and I can stand toe-to-toe with any tank (and kill them) thanks to Blade Dancer, which is much stronger when a melee character is swinging at you thanks to all the dodge/parry reactive abilities, and the Riftstalker armor.

The only place this build is really weak, is against ranged rogues and casters. But, that's what stealth is for - don't let them pick you off at range.

Shadowlander

Beastmaster/Riftblade/Reaver has a TON of dots.

oooo, my main spec is a Melee DoT class. Go Reaver/Riftblade/Champion. At level 18 you will have 5-6 DoTs and all of them can be AoE'd with Plague Bringer and Fork. If you want a melee doT class, go Reaver/Riftblade/Champ it's a lot of fun. If you are going to do this, I'd say put 4 into Riftblade, then 10 into Reaver and then put a bunch more into Riftblade. Try it out, you'll have more DoT's then you'll ever need.

Telaran

Hi. I found all the suggestions here to be very interesting. I have been play riftblade, paragon, and 4 points in beastmaster just for the pet. I found I had pretty good dmg against caster types but had a harder time against melee mobs.

Just wondering if you found the combinations you suggested to be really great at dmg?

Riftblade is losing the DoT from Flamespear. Just an FYI.

+ Reply to Thread