+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggested Class: DARK ARCHER

Default Suggested Class: DARK ARCHER

This is a class that I came up with a long time ago, and have never really seen created in any mainstream MMORPG.

Class: Dark Archer

Short Description: Hybrid Ranger/Necromancer

Long Description: The dark archer is an undead ranger. He has died in some horrible fashion and instead of moving on, he clings to this reality in an undead form seeking to set revenge against those who caused his death.

His good nature has been twisted and as such he no longer wields the forces of nature. Instead, the dark archer now calls upon the dark arts of necromancy to rain down terror upon his foes.

Class basics:
    1. Base attack relies on archery
    2. Does not wield a permanent pet like a necromancer, but instead creates temporary undead pets through his archery skills

Example of abilities:
    Call Of The Grave: The dark archer reaches in to the ground and pulls out a bone. He whispers a few dark words as he knocks the bone on his bow. He lets go the bow string, and the bone arcs across the air with a dark trail of black and silver dust. A second after it srikes the ground near the dark archer's foe, skeleton arms reach up out of the ground and grab hold. The dark archer's enemy is unable to move as skeletal arms hold tight.

Death's Feast: The dark archer whispers a few dark words as he pulls the bow string, and an arrow is formed where there was none. The arrow shoots across the air with a dark green mist trailing behind. It strikes it's target and disappears in to it's target's chest. A moment later the target begins frantically clawing at his chest as disease ridden bugs come pooring out of the spot where the arrow hit.

Sounds like it could be fun to play this class.
    Call Of The Grave: The dark archer reaches in to the ground and pulls out a bone. He whispers a few dark words as he knocks the bone on his bow. He lets go the bow string, and the bone arcs across the air with a dark trail of black and silver dust. A second after it srikes the ground near the dark archer's foe, skeleton arms reach up out of the ground and grab hold. The dark archer's enemy is unable to move as skeletal arms hold tight.
    Little addition to the spell/ability. Three hands grab the target, stoping it from moving. Hands are Immune to magical and AoE attacks, they snare target for 6 seconds. Two ways to get free, 1 - wait for 6 seconds to pass, 2 - hit each hand with melee attack, this will break the bones and hand lets go of enemy. Snared target can move only after destroying all 3 hands. Would these hands count as a "Pet" then?
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Cool class.

sounds nice, at least its not a ranger!

cool ground target AOE - Dark Archer slams fist into the ground and summons 10 undead archers which launch a barrage of arrows then turn to dust.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Yeah you get the idea. The majority of the dark archers attacks call forth some form of temporary pet like the skeletal arms (root/snare pet), disease bugs (dot pets), etc.

Fire an arrow towards a crowd of mobs, and the arrow shatters in to a bunch of bone shards that slam in to the ground. A cloud of disease spews up and does AoE damage over time while causing the mobs afflicted by the dot to move and react slower while they cough profusely.

Tormenting Arrow - the Dark Archer summons a blackened arrow and fires it toward his foe, if this arrow kills said Foe, it twists and corrupts the fallen enemies soul turning it into a beast that the Dark Archer can control for a limited time.

so basically kill someone it turns into a monster and the archer can use it to attack other mobs for maybe 30 seconds or so.

I always liked the concept of a Dark Archer class, although my idea was focused around demonology rather than necromancy.
    Oh well.
    Suffocating Blow-The dark archer shoots his bewitched arrow, which deforms into suffocating dark energy upon reaching its target.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

The Dark Ranger, in Warcraft III.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

The question is, how many ranged DPS do you need in all? I'd be worried that further ranged scouts would mean fewer melee scouts. And then you have the relative likelihood of all of the mages being ranged as well.

Of course, it would be cool to see some sort of archer base class with different trees for ranger, dark archer, etc.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    The question is, how many ranged DPS do you need in all? I'd be worried that further ranged scouts would mean fewer melee scouts. And then you have the relative likelihood of all of the mages being ranged as well.

Of course, it would be cool to see some sort of archer base class with different trees for ranger, dark archer, etc.
    i just need my scout/sniper ranged dps class with a bow and bombs and im happy ... is that too much to ask LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Faelor View Post
    The Dark Ranger, in Warcraft III.
    Ha! First thing that jumped to my mind too.

Anyway, sounds pretty decent. I'm all for stylistically different classes that can stick out in the MMO world. Everyone around here is all about the necromancer classes though, let there be life!

Maybe an assassin-like class that fights using the power of rainbows and when things die they turn into bunny rabbits like in Sonic. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Ha! First thing that jumped to my mind too.

Anyway, sounds pretty decent. I'm all for stylistically different classes that can stick out in the MMO world. Everyone around here is all about the necromancer classes though, let there be life!

Maybe an assassin-like class that fights using the power of rainbows and when things die they turn into bunny rabbits like in Sonic. ;)
    No! You're doing it wrong!
    Let there be death!
    Last edited by Hanlo; 06-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    No! You're doing it wrong!
    Let there be death!
    There are already Warlocks and Nightblades and Reavers and all this other murdery stuff. I say make a class that doesn't kill something but changes it into something that makes the world a little bit more of a happy place.

Guess I'm the only cup-is-half-full kinda guy around here.

Interesting concept, the things that pulled me in right away was picturing the dark ranger shooting a bone or arrow from his bow morphing into a undead minion doing a bit of damage and then despawning. I wouldn't picture it as a pet class but more of a ranged ability caster that has pets for animations (if that makes any sense).

Allthough we are kinda all raised from the death in RIFT, so maybe for the dark ranger something went horrible wrong during his ressurection :P

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Soulwalker

Perhaps a spell to create mirror image of the target and next hit the target receives goes to the mirror image and it disappears after that

as example you cast it on tank and next hit tank gets goes to mirror image and the mirror image disappears and tank takes no dmg. 3 min cd?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast