+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auto-attacks - How important is it?

Rift Disciple

Default Auto-attacks - How important is it?

How important are Auto-Attacks and are they worth the soul points to invest in abilities in your soul trees?

Examples: Abilities that increase your auto-attack damage.

Ascendant

auto attacks are now useless, investing points that in anyway effects your AA is useless. im really hoping they roll back there decision on AA being effected by attack power.
    Last edited by jaym7018; 02-17-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Currently auto attack is useless.
    It's not even affected by attack power.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Ascendant

Does Auto-Attack work on its own timer regardless of the special attacks I trigger, or does auto-attack cease the moment I use a skill?

There are Blade Dancer/Assassin builds that seem to play off auto-attacks effectively by increasing the potency of critical hits and also of auto attack base damage... but if auto attacks only fire when I'm NOT using special attacks it is worthless.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post
    Does Auto-Attack work on its own timer regardless of the special attacks I trigger, or does auto-attack cease the moment I use a skill?

There are Blade Dancer/Assassin builds that seem to play off auto-attacks effectively by increasing the potency of critical hits and also of auto attack base damage... but if auto attacks only fire when I'm NOT using special attacks it is worthless.
    Auto-attacks go off regularly even when using special attacks (except for channels). Their damage is very low although some builds can boost it slightly higher but it should never be even close to any souls top 3 damaging sources.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post

the bladedancer ability that boosts AA is beyond useless.

Rift Disciple

Auto attack is basically marginal dps you don't have to think about in it's current form. It's not as bad as EQ2 where if you just auto attack you have trouble dpsing down a mob 3-5 levels below you, but it's still pathetic damage compared to your other abilities.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ChronicD View Post
    Auto attack is basically marginal dps you don't have to think about in it's current form. It's not as bad as EQ2 where if you just auto attack you have trouble dpsing down a mob 3-5 levels below you, but it's still pathetic damage compared to your other abilities.
    If you only auto attack, you'll most likely DIE to even con mobs. AA is worthless in Rift.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    If you only auto attack, you'll most likely DIE to even con mobs. AA is worthless in Rift.
    Honestly, this is not true. Granted, I have decent gear for my level, but I have semi-afk'd fighting single mobs and my AA damage + pet is enough to kill the mob.(zero point ranger pet) But there have been times it ends with the mob dead and my pet dead and me at ~20-30% hps. :P

Either way, yeah, auto attack is just a minor damage percentage to add into your calculations.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ChronicD View Post
    Honestly, this is not true. Granted, I have decent gear for my level, but I have semi-afk'd fighting single mobs and my AA damage + pet is enough to kill the mob.(zero point ranger pet) But there have been times it ends with the mob dead and my pet dead and me at ~20-30% hps. :P

Either way, yeah, auto attack is just a minor damage percentage to add into your calculations.
    Not everyone has a pet.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Auto attacks exist in Rift to proc on-hit and on-crit abilities. The damage they do on their own are negligible.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

+ Reply to Thread