+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For a duo, what are the different options for supporting your partner?

Default For a duo, what are the different options for supporting your partner?

Mostly just wondering. He plans on playing a warrior or rogue of some kind, and I plan on playing a character to support him. There are so many options it's scary so I was just wondering if anybody has any experience playing a character created to support one person. I suppose I could just look into being a tank healer since that's the same general idea of supporting one person but I enjoy reading peoples experiences and opinions so I figure I'll ask.

The one I was looking at just as a first glance was a bard/ranger. I love bards, most games that have bards have pathetic bards, but this game makes them look very fun. Of course I can also get just deep enough into the ranger tree to get the advanced DPS pet (assuming its not that far in, I haven't looked for it yet) and that would just make it even more fun. Possibly a Chloromancer since it seems they do dps while healing so that might be good to have with a duo.

So what's your opinion?
    Last edited by Darcrai; 02-17-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Is this a PvE duo or PvP?

Sorry, PvE focused. We will more than likely participate in PvP but it will not be a focus.

That said, I wouldn't mind advice on both since we may end up making a duo for each in the future.
    Last edited by Darcrai; 02-17-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Making a decision on this myself. Same kind of scenario, my friend is going warrior (champ mainly in PvP, tank in PvE) and I want to back him up.

Bard - out of what you listed I think it's hands down the best PvE option for your duo. I'm biased when it comes to bards though. If you can stand to rebuff every 30 seconds the two of you will tear through mobs while leveling; you'll be doing pretty decent damage and healing at the same time plus giving him 5% crit and you can run faster. Those are the two main things. In an instance being a bard is very helpful too. If he'll tank you'd be pretty much set. Tanks are hard to find, healers aren't, bards make everyone's life easier in a dungeon run. What subs you go for largely don't matter so bard/ranger works and it's a fairly popular choice.

PvP I'd say not so good if it's just the two of you in a warfront doing some heroic thing. You're far more squishy and less capable of healing than a cleric. If you go this route then you'd want to stay with the zerg in a warfront since you kind of need that protection of numbers and you're much more use the more people you're buffing and healing.

Chloro - dps is negligible but you can main heal instances. It's an extremely fun play style and has no mana issues at all when paired with warlock or any other soul with a mana return for that matter (but warlock is best). You can also focus on healing your partner with the aptly named Synthesis ability and its related talents.

PvP maybe I'm just doing it wrong but Chloro was one of the weakest things in terms of survivability I played; just a notch above a cabalist. Spores are great in PvP just like they're great anywhere else. You can do nuisance damage and help your partner with synthesis if you can live that long. Probably need to spec into Dominator in PvP. Maybe a more experienced Chloro would be willing to give some PvP tips; would love to hear them myself.

Cleric - The classic warrior/cleric combo. It works really well. While mana is more of a concern in both PvE and PvP than say a chloro with warlock sub you have a lot of control on your heals that chloro doesn't have and you have options on how to do it. It's definitely the safest choice.

PvP there's tons of survivability with a good hybrid spec. Torn between the cleric and bard myself.

Synthesis is actually the main thing making me wonder if I want to do that or bard in PvE. I love the bard but a whole section of the tree basically dedicated to keeping one person alive is rather tempting also.

My wife and I will be playing together and we're exploring the same question. I'll probably be playing a tank and one thing that stood out to me was the level 38 Paladin ability Preservation. That looks very helpful, especially for PvP. Also, Justicar (Cleric tank) has a couple of similar abilities: Righteous Mandate and Reprieve.

If you're interested in doing Bard, he could go Justicar so he'll be able to supplement your healing with his own, so a full blown healer may not be needed.

While husband and I had lots of fun with the warrior/cleric duo (I love squealing 'HEEEALS!' when he's AFK) we actually had most fun with us both playing rogues. I chose a bit of bard so we're not entirely heal-free, but mostly we just kill stuff quicker than it can kill us. Point is, just both pick something you enjoy. You've already got enough synergy between you as a duo that almost any combo you choose will work - so do something awesome.

Me and my flatmate will be playing together. We both like the same classes soo...

I will be playing a warlock/Chlor while they play a rogue (markmen, sin, sap I think)

and then later on we will swap
    and I will level my rogue while they level a warlock/chlor

Most classes go well together as one as one can heal

Rift Disciple

i would go chloro, since you heal off of your dmg, you never have to worry about him dieing, and if he startes getting low, you hit your casted heals and call it a day.
    Proper Grammar isnt hard to use, so please at least use proper punctuation, since its the only difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse; and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Shadowlander

I'm going to be playing a void knight/riftblade... dad is going to play a puri/sent/warden. We'll see how long he sticks with it though (we're usually alt-aholics and I've never seen him play a healer to max level)...

Going to be rolling solo with a bard, since most of my playtime is w/o him. Bards rock solo and are great in groups.

bards are really nice and very powerful, but are more centered around AoE heals than single target, and can't keep a single person up during a hard encounter. (but honestly you shouldnt find any of those if you're just questing)

i would choose a cleric in your situation, but honestly you can't really go wrong with any of the choices, play what you find the most fun
    Bubbrubb / Eastern of <Missionary Impossible>

+ Reply to Thread