+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATTENTION: Requesting class ability types/combos. (offensive, defensive, etc.)

Default ATTENTION: Requesting class ability types/combos. (offensive, defensive, etc.)

Hey everyone, its me... the "MMOnster".

I don't know if this
    has already been accomplished or if this is the right spot here on the RIFT: PoT forum, but I thought it would be nice to start at the "roots" of the huge class skill discussion tree. Hence, in my opinion I believe it would be beneficial for all of us to list the skill types one could use in an MMO.

There are the obvious, offensive, defensive, support skills... and then there are they more specific, sharpened down to a point... skills.

I'll start off by stating I would like to see, "escape" skills. I mean, escape skills play a huge roll in combat if the environment is set up to accommodate their roles. There has been the standard defensive blink/teleport ability used by the squishy caster classes for along time now, and the offensive charge ability used by the melee combat class... but the vertical element hasn't been used much in MMO's to date. Skills like:

Levitate: Jumping to an "X" height, hovering at that height for "X" amount of time which in turn allows the user to use "insert skill".
    (example: a follow up skill could be a non-lethal AOE stun/slow effect cast below the target levitate area.)

and then there are the other escape/aquire skills:

Dash: Pushes the user "X" distance in desired direction, enabling the user to cast "insert skill". (example: a follow up skill could be a non-lethal shield bash/stun effect.)
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

ATTENTION: the desired "follow up ability" should be predetirmened... you should be able to set up skill combos that can be triggered with the press of a button. (example: pressing "X" key casts
    Dash ---> Shield Bash).

P.S. I was also thinking that the abilities could take up a set "X" amount of slots, with there being a limit to the amount of slots used to set up a combo.
    (example: Dash [1 slots] ---> Shield Bash [3 slots] ---> Accuracy Debuff [3 slots] - oops, cant use the Accuracy Debuff, not enough remaing slots left).

This is all just a rough concept, some exploring/feedback would be an awesome way to come up with new class specific skills/combos.
    Last edited by Architype; 06-07-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Default The enviroment is your friend!

Remember, the environment around you shouldn't just be eye candy, it should play a huge role in the way you play the game. Different environments = different play styles. Keep this in mind when trying to brainstorm ideas for escape/acquire skills/combos.

Oh, and skills should have a few different paths they can tree off into... either going an offensive path or defensive path.
    (example: Skill: Shield Bash [offensive] ---> Stuns effect for skill interruption, [defensive] ---> Enemy becomes dazed, you gain increased run speed for "X" amount of time).

Peace & Respect,
    Jordan Angell,
    MMOnster.
    Last edited by Architype; 06-07-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Interesting idea you have here. Personally I would like to see more escape abilities that would make use of their environment. Eg hiding behind the rock will make your dissapear from enemy line of sight, or jumping in the water will save you from fire attacks, earth/air/water will do 50% less damage and thunder/shadow will do 50% more damage. Also there is "Similar" thread about combos, however the ones that you are talking about sound a bit different to the ones discussed there.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukira View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]

ATTENTION: the desired "follow up ability" should be predetirmened... you should be able to set up skill combos that can be triggered with the press of a button. (example: pressing "X" key casts
    Dash ---> Shield Bash).

P.S. I was also thinking that the abilities could take up a set "X" amount of slots, with there being a limit to the amount of slots used to set up a combo.
    (example: Dash [1 slots] ---> Shield Bash [3 slots] ---> Accuracy Debuff [3 slots] - oops, cant use the Accuracy Debuff, not enough remaing slots left).

This is all just a rough concept, some exploring/feedback would be an awesome way to come up with new class specific skills/combos.

Elladar,

Hey bud, you should check out AION's style for skill building. You can preselect a skill chain, and than when you press 1 for say "Kick", that skill slot will turn into the next skill in the chain. Late game, you can have up to 4 different skills all on 1 button because the button itself changes as you use the skills going down the tree/combo.

Also this skill chain had its own section in the UI that popped up on the right side of your screen. If you where playing 3rd person view, it would be right along the side of your character so that it didn't block your view but was very close for quick mouse movement.

Quick movie of some skil chains
    Last edited by Kitsu; 06-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
    Elladar,

Hey bud, you should check out AION's style for skill building. You can preselect a skill chain, and than when you press 1 for say "Kick", that skill slot will turn into the next skill in the chain. Late game, you can have up to 4 different skills all on 1 button because the button itself changes as you use the skills going down the tree/combo.

Also this skill chain had its own section in the UI that popped up on the right side of your screen. If you where playing 3rd person view, it would be right along the side of your character so that it didn't block your view but was very close for quick mouse movement.
    Thanks mate! Seems like a nice system. I will check it out... After I finish reading never ending/updating threads... Its getting too crowded! ;)
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

+ Reply to Thread