+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class Teaser: The Ranger

Default Class Teaser: The Ranger

A bit informations about the Ranger class on mmorpg.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...re/4296/page/1

Yup, almost made a post about it but Faelor is a quick mofo! He's got it covered in his post here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ted-classes%29

Ups, sorry, i didn't noticed that update in the ongoing thread. Thanks Hydd.
    ( I'll send a pm to the clean/delete this one.)

PS to Forum Admins: Please delete this double thread. Thanks
    Last edited by Osho; 06-07-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osho View Post
    Ups, sorry, i didn't noticed that update in the ongoing thread. Thanks Hydd.
    ( I'll send a pm to the clean/delete this one.)
    No need for apologies! More threads=More excitement, amirite? ♥

Seems a lot like WoW's hunter class. Of course, there's only so much to be fit into a paragraph.

Edit: I'm not going to lie, though: the ranger screenshot looks pretty bad.
    Last edited by Europe; 06-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

How original. A ranger pet class. In all honesty I was hoping the ranger type class was going to be non-pet and a druid class be a pet class. Oh well, here's hoping we get some more info this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    How original. A ranger pet class. In all honesty I was hoping the ranger type class was going to be non-pet and a druid class be a pet class. Oh well, here's hoping we get some more info this week.
    It seems to imply that they're going to do one class every day. I think? My english no good.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Meh, as I came from EQ1/2, A pet class ranger is (sorta) new to me, though the other synonyms for ranger had pets in other games so...

though seriously, it is fine if they stick to the classes we know and love (or hate) as long as they make some twists

Does anyone else think that quote sounds a little odd? I'm trying to be diplomatic.
    "Where many see wild beasts as enemies to be destroyed, I see valuable allies who have simply lost their way."
    What?

Wild animals have "lost their way"? Wild animals are just acting on instinct and coexisting with their environment. What way should they be following? It seems like rangers are usually imagined to be in tune with nature, and saying that wild animals have lost their way sort of implies there's something wrong with animals being what they are naturally. It seems kind of arrogant, and not in keeping with the spirit of a ranger. Also a little cheesy and over-dramatic.

Maybe the quote is referring to something other than normal wild animals... like perhaps monsters coming through the rifts or something. That might make more sense.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Osho View Post
    PS to Forum Admins: Please delete this double thread. Thanks
    No need. People are talking. S'all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    Does anyone else think that quote sounds a little odd? I'm trying to be diplomatic.
    "Where many see wild beasts as enemies to be destroyed, I see valuable allies who have simply lost their way."
    What?

Wild animals have "lost their way"? Wild animals are just acting on instinct and coexisting with their environment. What way should they be following? It seems like rangers are usually imagined to be in tune with nature, and saying that wild animals have lost their way sort of implies there's something wrong with animals being what they are naturally. It seems kind of arrogant, and not in keeping with the spirit of a ranger. Also a little cheesy and over-dramatic.

Maybe the quote is referring to something other than normal wild animals... like perhaps monsters coming through the rifts or something. That might make more sense.
    Ever heard of rabies? =D

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

I think we can conclude from the information given that the Ranger is not a starting class/soul but one acquired later on.

Let me lay out the logic :

1. We know that a player gets to choose 1 of the 2 classes from an archetype at creation. With dispute whether that is 2 per faction or 2 total as the Gamezone article seems to state.
    2. From screenshots and the IGN interview we know the Bladedancer and the Nightblade and are both starter classes.
    3. We also know that the Nightblade can add a Ranger soul meaning a Ranger can play as the same faction as Nightblade.
    4. We also know that the Bladedancer can add a Ranger soul meaning a Ranger can play as the same faction as Bladedancer.
    5. Since the ranger can play the same faction as Nightblade and Bladedancer and Nightblade and bladedancer both occupy two starter slots its safe to assume that the Ranger cannot be a starter class as it can be played by the same faction as the otehr 2 and we are limited to 2 starter classes per archtype.

Since we know there are only 2 choices per archetyoe for starting class logic tells us we cannot choose a Ranger. This matches up with your Gamezone article stating there are a total of 8 starting classes. But it does not prevent the possibility of there being two other starting rogue archtype souls for a 2nd faction. All it prove sis the Ranger cannot be a starting soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinn View Post
    I think we can conclude from the information given that the Ranger is not a starting class/soul but one acquired later on.

Let me lay out the logic :

1. We know that a player gets to choose 1 of the 2 classes from an archetype at creation. With dispute whether that is 2 per faction or 2 total as the Gamezone article seems to state.
    2. From screenshots and the IGN interview we know the Bladedancer and the Nightblade and are both starter classes.
    3. We also know that the Nightblade can add a Ranger soul meaning a Ranger can play as the same faction as Nightblade.
    4. We also know that the Bladedancer can add a Ranger soul meaning a Ranger can play as the same faction as Bladedancer.
    5. Since the ranger can play the same faction as Nightblade and Bladedancer and Nightblade and bladedancer both occupy two starter slots its safe to assume that the Ranger cannot be a starter class as it can be played by the same faction as the otehr 2 and we are limited to 2 starter classes per archtype.

Since we know there are only 2 choices per archetyoe for starting class logic tells us we cannot choose a Ranger. This matches up with your Gamezone article stating there are a total of 8 starting classes. But it does not prevent the possibility of there being two other starting rogue archtype souls for a 2nd faction. All it prove sis the Ranger cannot be a starting soul.
    I dunno. I think you might be drawing a few too many conclusions from an article that did anything but provide conclusions. There's nothing to say you can't get both starting classes at some point. There's nothing to say the Blade Dancer is actually a starting class since the article never said it was. There's nothing to say that some classes can't be cross-faction. The article also described a class that sounded an awful lot like a Nightblade as one you'd pick up later which lessens its chance of being a starter assuming starters are unobtainable after that.

If I were to pick two starting classes for a Rogue it would be Blade Dancer and Ranger, or if not Ranger, something more simple like an Archer. Melee and ranged seems most logical.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    I dunno. I think you might be drawing a few too many conclusions from an article that did anything but provide conclusions. There's nothing to say you can't get both starting classes at some point. [U]There's nothing to say the Blade Dancer is actually a starting class since the article never said it was. There's nothing to say that some classes can't be cross-faction. The article also described a class that sounded an awful lot like a Nightblade as one you'd pick up later which lessens its chance of being a starter assuming starters are unobtainable after that.

If I were to pick two starting classes for a Rogue it would be Blade Dancer and Ranger, or if not Ranger, something more simple like an Archer. Melee and ranged seems most logical.

If you read the IGN article you can see what you said above is wrong . it said the following:

1. They do say Bladedancer is a starting class:

An example we witnessed was a rogue-calling character whose main soul was the Bladedancer
    2. If you look at the screenshots you can see Nightblade is the only soul chosen for another character meaning it is a starting class otherwise how could you just end up with one soul. I suppose its possible to switch out but don't you think that would be very doubtful that early in the game by reviewer only playing a few minutes.

3. I don't think it is in dispute that the article said we get to choose one of 2 starting classes from an archetype. Since we know both Nightblade and Bladedancer are starting classes then we have to ask are they both on the same faction.

4. In the screenshots you can see both Nightblade and Bladedancer combined with a Ranger as a second soul. Meaning they are either of the same faction or starting classes like the Gamezone article implies have no faction. Meaning that only some souls after creation may be restricted by faction.

Ranger then cannot be a starting class for the Nightblade and Bladedancer faction. Could it then be a cross faction class as you suggest where it can be a starting class for the opposite faction and a secondary soul for the Nightblade and Bladedancer faction. Yes that is possible but I would think its very unlikely. Speculation is that when they say we have 2 choices at character creation it either means total starting classes or 8 per side totaling 16. It would be strange that a class could not be a starting class for one side but a alter soul for the other side as you suggest.

But we should find out in the next few days what the starting classes are. My guess is it will be 8 total as the Gamezone article said rather than 16 many believe. But in regards to the Ranger it seems to be a very good bet its a soul that will not be a starting class. Now throw the Nightblade part out and the entire Ranger theory gets thrown out. And I do agree with you that Bladedancer/Ranger seems to be more opposite choices one would choose at creation. But then again so could Nightshade Stealther low dps be the opposite of Bladedancer high dps no stealth.

Edit:

I went ahead and looked at the screenshots of the Nightblade again and I am gonna say you are right. You can't tell if a Nightblade is a main soul on those screenshots. The screenshots with the Nightblade soul tree is cutoff and we can't say if its by itself or not. The screenshot with the Nightblade and Ranger has the Nightblade to the Left ranger middle and an unlocked soul to the right. We could guess the Nightblade is the main soul by that screenshot with Ranger second. But that is only a guess and proves nothing. If we can't say a Nightblade is a main soul for sure then we can't say if a ranger is not a main soul. So your right no conclusion can be made. My apologies.
    Last edited by Zinn; 06-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinn View Post

4. In the screenshots you can see both Nightblade and Bladedancer combined with a Ranger as a second soul. Meaning they are either of the same faction or starting classes like the Gamezone article implies have no faction. Meaning that only some souls after creation may be restricted by faction.

Ranger then cannot be a starting class for the Nightblade and Bladedancer faction. Could it then be a cross faction class as you suggest where it can be a starting class for the opposite faction and a secondary soul for the Nightblade and Bladedancer faction. Yes that is possible but I would think its very unlikely. Speculation is that when they say we have 2 choices at character creation it either means total starting classes or 8 per side totaling 16. It would be strange that a class could not be a starting class for one side but a alter soul for the other side as you suggest.
    It could also be possible that the Ranger class must be unlocked somehow by discovery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast