+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about game mechanics

Soulwalker

Default Questions about game mechanics

In a game like WoW hit % and reducing the enemy dodge / parry to your attacks was some of the biggest way to increase your dmg.

How does that fit in with Rift? I notice when people post thier builds they skip over a lot of the hit % talents....why is that?

thanks for any info!

Shield of Telara

I think some of it may have to do with simple lack of knowledge at the end game. We don't know how important those stats will be at higher levels yet. We can assume that gear and other things will offset the need for them, but that could be entirely incorrect.

Soulwalker

yea its driving me crazy coming up with builds that have these talents........lack of information makes it a ton harder.

/cry

well we will find out soon enough

Soulwalker

another question i just thought of if some1 can answer =p

wats the base Miss chance that have against .. equal level +1 lvl +2 +3...and so on mobs

to that same degree..... whats the mobs base dodge / parry chance?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mostross View Post
    another question i just thought of if some1 can answer =p

wats the base Miss chance that have against .. equal level +1 lvl +2 +3...and so on mobs

to that same degree..... whats the mobs base dodge / parry chance?
    I don't think anyone has that information yet.
    However, speaking from a bard standpoint, I have decided to switch from ranger to bladedancer JUST for the +hit talent. My abilites cannot be blocked/dodged/parried, so the (rather frequent) misses are VERY noticable.
    From what I hear, DW paragons miss a lot as well.

So methinks +hit is currently very underrated by the community.
    Last edited by ChronicD; 02-17-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: speeeling

Ascendant

There are a lot of factors that go into this, some are class dependent as well. In a game-agnostic sense, casters are more strongly affected by misses than non-casters. Casters tend to have unlimited resources in the context of most fights, so the limiting factor of their damage is cast-time. Thus, lost cast time (in the form of a miss) can be quite damaging. Melee (or specifically, non-mana) classes tend to be more limited by their resource than their GCDs, so as long as a miss isn't a full penalty of the cost of the skill they are less affected.

I don't actually know how Rift handles that because I haven't cared enough to test it yet. The other things to consider are cooldowns. If a miss still eats the cooldown of an ability, then Hit will be tend to be significantly stronger, as CD limited abilities tend to be the best DPCT/DPE skills you have (otherwise there would be no point in giving them a CD to begin with).

My guess, with no actual knowledge of Rift's specific mechanics, is that Hit will be something you want to cap for most DPS classes.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Telaran

I can attest to the fact that if an ability fails (misses or is dodged/parried), the cooldown is still triggered. This alone should greatly raise the value of these stats.

As far as leveling is concerned, however, a missed ability generally isn't as big a deal. Often times, hit talents are skipped in favor of talents/abilities that are better for leveling.

+ Reply to Thread