+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats the best tank so far?

Rift Disciple

Default Whats the best tank so far?

As far as i know you can tank as a warrior, cleric and rogue (seems a bit odd ), which one has the best survivabilty. I just played an assasin/sab rogue up to level 10 and enjoyed it, now im looking to try some tanking, something that can go up against multiple mobs and survive with ease, quite like the look of paladins.

thanks

Ascendant

Paladin/Reaver is probably the best tank combo for survivability.

Paladin offers the best defense of any class, with a shield focus. Reaver offers the ability to slowly (very) replenish your life through DoT's cast on the enemy. Both classes have different abilities to raise defense in general. I haven't seen anything that survives as well as Paladin/Reaver, though, because of the mix of slow self-healing (Reaver) and ultra-high defense (Paladin.)

Another great thing about this build is as you get further up the Reaver line (not far) you get AoE DOT's... and these DoT's also heal you. So you actually tank better depending on how many enemies you infect with your DoT's, because each one is a different source of heals for you. If your defense is high enough you should be able to tank small swarms better than you can tank single bosses.

Void Knight also offers a ton of armor, more than Paladin or Reaver separately. I'm not convinced the bonus to armor and defense Void Knight brings will be better than the bonus to block/lifedrain that Paladin/Reaver spec brings, though. The Paladin's shield pretty much doubles your defense, if not more, and I don't think anyone will be main-tanking in this game without a shield. The difference Block brings is astounding, and the Paladin line makes your shield about twice as effective. No-brainer, for me.

Warlord is also a better group choice for defensive tank as they can buff the entire party.
    Last edited by nocks; 02-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post
    Paladin/Reaver is probably the best tank combo for survivability.

Paladin offers the best defense of any class, with a shield focus. Reaver offers the ability to slowly (very) replenish your life through DoT's cast on the enemy. Both classes have different abilities to raise defense in general. I haven't seen anything that survives as well as Paladin/Reaver, though, because of the mix of slow self-healing (Reaver) and ultra-high defense (Paladin.)

Another great thing about this build is as you get further up the Reaver line (not far) you get AoE DOT's... and these DoT's also heal you. So you actually tank better depending on how many enemies you infect with your DoT's, because each one is a different source of heals for you. If your defense is high enough you should be able to tank small swarms better than you can tank single bosses.

Void Knight also offers a ton of armor, more than Paladin or Reaver separately. I'm not convinced the bonus to armor and defense Void Knight brings will be better than the bonus to block/lifedrain that Paladin/Reaver spec brings, though. The Paladin's shield pretty much doubles your defense, if not more, and I don't think anyone will be main-tanking in this game without a shield. The difference Block brings is astounding, and the Paladin line makes your shield about twice as effective. No-brainer, for me.

Warlord is also a better group choice for defensive tank as they can buff the entire party.
    Great very helpful post, will play around with Paladin/reaver/VK's tonight

So far with my testing the Pal / Reaver/ lil VK is better at AoE, and mob tanking.

The Justicar line is great as a boss holder, single threat tank. Justicar/ Druid/Warden works as a off tank backup tank on trash mobs as well, but the 'main healer' has to work a little harder. So it's not a best tank, just passable.

I haven't tanked as a 'rogue tank' but i've healed one, and from what I saw they were effective, and decent, couldn't mitigate as much how you think a 'tank' can, but they held a line ok. However the terms decen't and fun come to mind more than best.

Hope my comments helped. Enjoy which ever you choose.

Ascendant

Rogue Tanks:

Riftstalker has great mitigation, but I'm not sure exactly how the cooldown on taunts work. A Riftstalker gets one single-target taunt and one AoE taunt equivalent to what a similar tank/warrior gets...

BUT....

A Reaver/Paladin/Void Knight will have THREE such single-target taunts and between one and three AoE taunts. So if you have both of these Roles in your group, I think the Warrior is going to be doing the most tanking by virtue of the fact he can force an enemy to attack three times as often as a Riftstalker.

I haven't fooled around with Justicar as a tank, but it seems like an ideal off-tank because of the bonus to healing, basically a Captain from LOTRO (If you played that game)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by bignbrown View Post
    As far as i know you can tank as a warrior, cleric and rogue (seems a bit odd ), which one has the best survivabilty. I just played an assasin/sab rogue up to level 10 and enjoyed it, now im looking to try some tanking, something that can go up against multiple mobs and survive with ease, quite like the look of paladins.

thanks
    Are you looking at the warrior calling specifically or a tank soul from any calling?

It is my experience so far in this patch that the warrior vs. rogue vs. cleric tanks all feel pretty balanced in ability now. The only difference is that riftstalker (rogue) feels noticeably harder to play through the combo point finisher management and the cooldown rotation on all its teleport abilities. Lots of spells to use for the calling while warrior and cleric tanks felt simpler.

I have been doing a lot of testing of justicar this patch and it has blown my mind how much better the soul feels at tanking than it did in beta 5 or 6. Really i feel like all the tanks are viable now and it comes down to playstyle. This is mostly my opinion but this is how the tanks feel to me.

Warrior:Large variety of souls allows for tailoring of your tanking to fit the needs of a dungeon/encounter. Very solid combination of health/avoidance/mitigation but lacks some of the cooldowns and health recovery options of other tanking callings. Warrior tanks feel like they have the highest dps of the tank calling. Play a warrior tank if you don't want to worry about mana management, want to have good aoe threat with multiple taunt options and want tons of flexibility in your build.

Rogue: Solid health pools with good avoidance and great cooldown abilities. Threat went up some with this patch as did average armor values and rift guard/barrier help a lot with reducing the spikiness of tanking. Riftstalker tank specs are VERY fun to play but can feel frantic at times and lack a hard taunt. This spec takes a bit more practice as there are simply far more buttons than most other tank specs but once you get experience it feels extremely solid as a tank. This is a slightly more flexible tank build than clerics have but less so than warriors as far as secondary souls and point investments go. Once again, very high skill threshold to be great at but it rewards you for it.

Cleric: Overall lower health/armor/mitigation than warrior tanks but with a substantial self healing and shielding capability as well as more cooldown options than warrior calling. The health difference can be made up for somewhat with enchants due to the high% endurance modifier from mien of leadership. Threat in beta7 is great and it does have some taunt options allowing it to deal with adds slightly better than a rogue tank. Cleric tanks are not particularly flexibile in builds and have the least secondary/third soul options for mitigation out of all 3 callings, most cleric tanks seem to be primary justicar with good portion of shaman for secondary. The real advantage of cleric tanks is that they have the best self healing and can VERY quickly switch from a tank to a support role in fights that require multiple tanks. Damage output isn't very high but with a simply buff switch from mien of leadership to mien of honor they get a large bonus to healing output with a threat reduction component as well so they don't pull threat off another tank. Very fun to play and a lot of potential but overall lacks some of the flexibility that some of the other callings have for the role.

Hope these summaries help any questions you may have.
    Last edited by orakio; 02-16-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Rift Disciple

All extremely helpful replys, thanks

Shield of Telara

As far as Warrior goes...

Pal/Reaver/Warlord or Pal/Reaver/VK are probably the best single target tanks. Focusing almost entirely on Paladin

Reaver/Pal/Warlord or really anything based on Reaver/?/? would be the best AE tank

VK/Reaver/Paladin would be the strongest anti-caster tank (think raid mobs with heavy spell damage)

Warlord and VK primary builds would probably shine very well in PvP tanking as well.

Something I plan on testing is a Paragon-based tanking spec. The Paragon soul receives a large amount of +parry abilities and I think it may be doable, the issue will be agro management as they do not receive the "This generates additional threat" on all of their abilities. I may try Paragon/Warlord/Riftblade or Paragon/Warlord/Reaver
    Last edited by Yraen; 02-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread