+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stop complaining about Mages and read.

Rift Disciple

Default Stop complaining about Mages and read.

So you want to be a Mage?

Mages are, by far, the hardest calling to master in Rift. The three main functions a mage can serve are; DPS, Healing, and Support. Mages have the best healing spells in the game, and can dish out numerous auras for support. However, people complain that their DPS is lacking, or that theyíre underpowered in PVP. Letís examine why people say that, shall we?
    The biggest argument is that ĎMy Mage sucks at PVP. I cannot move while casting and I do not deal enough damage.í What are some possible solutions to this? Simple.

First, are you an Archon? If so, you realize you can have more health than any Rogue or Cleric simply because your buffs grant you a large bonus to Endurance? Also, you can get a bonus to Strength, Dexterity (Dodge/Parry), Intelligence (Spell Crit), and Wisdom (Spell Power, Mana Pool) by just remembering to stack your buffs every 5 minutes. One is a 2 second cast, the other is an instant cast DOT. Itís really not difficult to improve yourself just by having a 0 point soul to buff up.

Secondly, how can you not avoid melee classes? Sure, they can strafe around you as you cast and annoy you. But why arenít you using Dominator for the Transmogrify? Or Pyromancer for Burning Shackles, which can become instant cast and will not break on damage later in the soul and also grab a Blink ability? Why not a Stormcaller to gain the 50% move speed buff or the multiple slow debuffs on spell casts? Ten points in Elementalist will grand you a 12 second root, and twelve points in Warlock will grant you Fear, and Archon has Shifting Sands, which slows your enemy 50% and grants you 25% move speed, for only 6 points in. You simply CANNOT create a Mage without one of your soul combinations containing CC of some sort.

Now let's talk about PvE.

Soloing PvE as a Mage has to be one of the easier and faster classes. You have two pet classes with great tanks. Use them. You also have great single target damage from Pyro/Archon combo, or great AoE from Stormcaller. Use your brain too. "Man my Fireball isn't hitting very high on this Goblin..." Well that Goblin is from the Plane of Fire, therefore it probably has relatively high Fire Resistance, eh? Just know your class and your enemy before complaining on the forums please.

In a group, you are an amazing asset as a Mage. Just use Archon, that's all you'll need to 'WOW!' people. Just place 10 points in Archon for group play. Gain 5% more fire damage and 2.5% Max Mana return on crits. You'll be able to aoe buff your groups endurance and their armor, while getting a few other useful spells. You can even maintain a dps build like this. Or go into a dungeon as Chloro and outheal any other calling.

Mages, you are the most difficult calling to master. Youíre being asked to do something not many mages have done before; maintain yourself. Maintain your buffs, upgrade your spells when you can, and learn your class. You are truly a hidden powerhouse waiting to erupt and those who underestimate you will learn how wrong they are.

Soulwalker

/standing O

Secondly, how can you not avoid melee classes? Sure, they can strafe around you as you cast and annoy you.
    Wait....are people keyboard turning or something? I have never seen this as a complaint for a class being underpowered in an MMO before Rift. I mean.....you can turn around just as fast as they can strafe.....

I agree that people need to stop complaining about mages. True we are the hardest to master but the reward for learning your class is awesome. My chloromancer at 35 had over 3.6k hp I was on par with any tank class but a warrior tank. I had more hit points than any rogue or cleric. My spells in both stormcaller and warlock (only classes I play for DPS) hit for over 700 damage non-critical. So if you don't know the mage calling do not jump to conclusions you can find a lot of mages that have figured out how to play a specific soul and you can learn from them.

Whole lot of assumptions and claims being made without any numbers or anything substantial to back it up. Your post reads just like the negative posts you are trying to refute.

Archons have more health than rogues/clerics? That doesn't jive with my experience. 10 points into Archon also isn't really that great for groups, at least at lower levels. You lose a lot of DPS by speccing into the Archon tree, and the low tier utility it offers doesn't really compensate for that until you are in a raid situation.

Chloros can outheal other callings in some situations, but not all. Each healing soul has its strengths and weaknesses, and Chloro is no exception. They are a lot of fun and a nice change of pace from just throwing fireballs at something though, I'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabreon
    I agree that people need to stop complaining about mages. True we are the hardest to master but the reward for learning your class is awesome. My chloromancer at 35 had over 3.6k hp I was on par with any tank class but a warrior tank. I had more hit points than any rogue or cleric. My spells in both stormcaller and warlock (only classes I play for DPS) hit for over 700 damage non-critical. So if you don't know the mage calling do not jump to conclusions you can find a lot of mages that have figured out how to play a specific soul and you can learn from them.
    I disagree with mages being the hardest calling to master. Mages play slower than melee classes, positioning and spatial awareness generally isn't as important, and their resource system is less involved and not as important.

My 33 rogue and 32 cleric both had more health even when they weren't in a Riftstalker or Justicar build. When I was in a tanking build, they were pushing 5k health.

Doing a lot of damage per cast doesn't mean anything. Between long cast times, cooldowns on the heavy hitters, DOT durations, Charge restrictions, and other factors besides, overall DPS is a lot more complex than just "I just cast a spell for 700 damage."

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Rift Disciple

The truth it's hard to believe anything you read on these forums, whether is about mage's being UP or other classes being OP. People say whatever they want to say to serve their own interests. Best to play and figure it out for yourself. The beauty of this game is that it allows so much flexibility, so if you start out with a crappy build you can fix it pretty easily.

Shadowlander

Cloth will always be difficult in the beginning. "Remember when" is the lowest form of conversation however back when WoW started locks were considered the elite class that only a few could manage to conquer. LoL go level a undead mage to 10.

Rift Chaser

Stopped reading at: "Mages have the best healing spells in the game"

Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

Rift Disciple

Stop those mages are fine threads its simply not the truth. The only really amazing working mage soul is the chloromancer its nice even as mainhealer had allmost no problem at foul cascade. But thats it mage can heal fine but the dps souls are broken compared to rouge and warrior dps souls, at least at lvl 35 atm.

And I cant imaging thats mage scales so much better then warrior or rouge to compensate for the difference. Riftblade simply outdamages mage in dps and so does sabo for the rogue calling and even at aoe dps.

Just compare the lvl 51 skill of paragon and pyromancer two pure dps souls:

pyromancer: fulminante 100 charges needed to unleash outstanding 402-408 dmg
    paragon: flurry 140% weapondmg + 3141 dmg

And I dont beleave spellpower will compensate for 2700 dmg not to mention the weapondmg bonus from 2 lvl 50 weapons.

I am really pissed as a Mage in midrange lvl when we compare the dmg of the classes within our guild!

bad job so far Trion.
    Last edited by Hilding; 02-15-2011 at 07:20 PM.

XiL

For future reference to all silly naysayers:

Learn 2 Play or L2P - is an ongoing process that never ends. There is no "best" way because strategies will change and efficiency will require you to adapt or, you guessed it, Learn 2 Play.

So please Learn 2 Play and stop crying on the forums about your imaginary scenarios that might someday happen if the circumstances you imagined in your mind were ever to become reality ZOMG... ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

This is now a Mass Effect 2 thread.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Soulwalker

Ok lets talked about the mage class.

Lets see when it comes to archon you talk about having more life then any rogue or cleric, ok we have HP now but still doesn't help when your stunned and the rogue is ripping thru all those HP. Before you know it your already dead and you didn't even get to cast.

Oh wait i should of slowed them. But thinking about it, that doesn't work cause by time you finish casting your slows, that warrior or rogue is already on you and half your life is already gone. Naaaa I think I should of rooted him. But if i think about it most of the time I've used root in a fight they just port back to me or go invis til the root wears off or they do both. Plus root in a warfront doesn't really work cause their usually dotted or someones doing AOE's.

Looking at chromancer being able to heal yea they can heal pretty good if they can cast their spells. But most tanks or rogues have silence or a stun to stop ya from casting.

I see it this way if you want to run transmogrify is your only chance to make a run for it but better hope no one including yourself left any Dot's ticking on him or you run into the same problem root has.
    When it comes down to it, if a warrior or rogue gets you in his sights your good as dead and thats about 95% of the time. And odds are he/she will kill you.

I'm not going to touch on damage output cause gear does make a difference. And mine isn't up to par with my lvl. But I do think its under what it should be.

When it comes to PVE I have no problem with any of the spec,

XiL

Quote Originally Posted by zanmor View Post
    Ok lets talked about the mage class.

Lets see when it comes to archon you talk about having more life then any rogue or cleric, ok I have HP now but still doesn't help when I am stunned and the rogue is ripping thru all those HP. Before you know it I am already dead and I didn't even get to cast. (see below gear not up to level appropriate standard and no mention of level disparity between me and rogue)

Oh wait i should of slowed them. But thinking about it, that doesn't work cause by time I finish casting My slows, that warrior or rogue is already on me and half my life is already gone. Naaaa I think I should of rooted him. But if i think about it most of the time I've used root in a fight they just port back to me or go invis til the root wears off or they do both. Plus root in a warfront doesn't really work cause they are usually dotted or someones doing AOE's. (my experience is very limited but I think it supports my theory)

Looking at chromancer being able to heal yea they can heal pretty good if they can cast their spells. But most tanks or rogues have silence or a stun to stop me from casting. (I also fail to mention level disparities or my poor equipment)

I see it this way if I want to run transmogrify its my only chance to make a run for it but better hope no one including myself left any Dot's ticking on him or me run into the same problem root has. (I'm confused here and posting gibberish filler)

When it comes down to it, if a warrior or rogue gets me in his sights I'm good as dead and thats about 95% of the time. And odds are he/she will kill me. (I'm really inexperienced in PvP but I find it very difficult to learn with so many players that are better than I am killing me)

I'm not going to touch on damage output cause gear does make a difference. And mine isn't up to par with my lvl. But I do think its under what it should be.

When it comes to PVE I have no problem with any of the spec,
    Fixed for clarity.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    For future reference to all silly naysayers:

Learn 2 Play or L2P - is an ongoing process that never ends. There is no "best" way because strategies will change and efficiency will require you to adapt or, you guessed it, Learn 2 Play.

So please Learn 2 Play and stop crying on the forums about your imaginary scenarios that might someday happen if the circumstances you imagined in your mind were ever to become reality ZOMG... ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

This is now a Mass Effect 2 thread.
    Keeping saying it over and over and someone might eventually believe you. It's always fun to see people make up nonsense and try to pass it off as reality.

Hows it working for you? Not so good huh?

I'm sorry. Maybe you could try not making things up and just posting about things you know instead? That will probably help you avoid all this emotional baggage you carry with you from post to post. You may also want to look into some anger management therapy. You really seem terribly angry for no good reason.

Sound familiar? lol
    Mordon
    FINAL BOSS

Ascendant

Forum activity sure died down since the last few betas. Does not bode well.

typical @$$ hats on the net always got to put some body down to make themselves feel better i agree with zanmor i am a rouge and one heck of a tank for a rouge also and i can rip threw mages. mmo's jobs are never balanced when released its not till the mass amount of players start playing does this become apparent. the dev's cant foretell every possible way a player will stack a set of skills .... look at the guild wars 55 mage for example by using certain ability's and certain items u drop your health to 55 and use mantras that at that low HP keeps you from loosing HP. its not whining its what these beta's are for to find any overlooked bug or unbalanced part of the game play and btw i do have the credentials in this dept.
    Last edited by luggie; 02-16-2011 at 08:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast