+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question on rogues

Default A question on rogues

Just to make it clear before i start. I have preordered and will be starting beta 7 tonight. So far i have no physical playing experience
    and am merely speculating from what i have seen over the last week on the forums.

Rogues seem to be the class to go. They seem pretty devastating and versatile. They can pack a punch, emulate a support class, tank
    and AOE. With this in mind are they the superior calling?
    Is it a case that i have incorrect information?
    Is it the old jack of all trades, master of none scenario?
    Will they be beaten by a calling that focuses primarily on one of these attributes?
    Are they less likely to pull their weight in PVP?

Im asking as they do look fun to play and by mixing and matching classes you seem to be able to get some very different effects.
    Can someone clear this up for me or possibly provide some example builds of things that will counter attack certain famour rogue classes?
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

Rift Disciple

A rogue can make a very viable tank. Although it won't truly shine until later levels as it's tanking abilities rely on invested points. The bard soul is hands down the best "buffer" in the game. Excellent support. At the moment, melee rogues are lacking top tier dps, but the ranged rogues (MM/Ranger) are pretty good so far. Some nerfs incoming across the boards though.

So overall, they can be the best support class (Bard), excellent late game tanks (Riftstalker), and decent to great dps.

Hope this helps

Edit - As for versatility, they are probably the best at field optimizing for pvp. With the rift blinks, increased speed, stealth, they can go anywhere.
    Last edited by Inexist; 02-15-2011 at 05:18 AM.
    Tell you what, you remove the dps from Warriors and make them tanks only, and I'll stop being a Rogue tank. Until then, we finally have multiple roles instead of one. Get over it..

Quote Originally Posted by Izzysinz View Post
    Just to make it clear before i start. I have preordered and will be starting beta 7 tonight. So far i have no physical playing experience
    and am merely speculating from what i have seen over the last week on the forums.

Rogues seem to be the class to go. They seem pretty devastating and versatile. They can pack a punch, emulate a support class, tank
    and AOE. With this in mind are they the superior calling?
    Is it a case that i have incorrect information?
    Is it the old jack of all trades, master of none scenario?
    Will they be beaten by a calling that focuses primarily on one of these attributes?
    Are they less likely to pull their weight in PVP?

Im asking as they do look fun to play and by mixing and matching classes you seem to be able to get some very different effects.
    Can someone clear this up for me or possibly provide some example builds of things that will counter attack certain famour rogue classes?
    I am going to play a rogue because I like the idea of playing a well rounded calling. Also, they do better than "emulate" a support class. Bard is a support class.

To your questions:
    "superior calling" -- For me the answer is yes. However, I have a friend that will not touch them because they do not suit her play style so for her the answer is No. That is subjective and every player will answer it for themselves.
    "jack of all trades, master of none scenario" -- I have not seen this in the other betas. Although I have limited party experience and no way to prove what I say, I have not felt "inferior" to other callings. If the cries for "Nerf rogue class X" is any indication I would say we are in good shape.
    "beaten by a calling that focuses..." -- No calling focuses on just one aspect of the game. Every calling can assume at least 2 (most more) roles in a party. Will they be the "go to calling" in every situation? I hope not, but I do not see where any calling has an advantage in party roles if you want to explore your calling fully.
    "less likely to pull their weight..." -- Not a big PVPer but I do like Warfronts. I have reached top "honor" spots many times. I have also come close to top damage even when I am not at max level for the bracket. I think a good player will be able to pull their weight with the rogue calling.

Hope that helps

Cheers guys great answers,
    On the subject of a class that focuses i suppose i mean more along the lines of warriors built to tank against
    a rogue built to tank. It seems that tanking is a primary function of playing a warrior class.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzysinz View Post
    Cheers guys great answers,
    On the subject of a class that focuses i suppose i mean more along the lines of warriors built to tank against
    a rogue built to tank. It seems that tanking is a primary function of playing a warrior class.
    That is the "traditional" way of thinking. However, in Rift they want 3 of the 4 callings to tank. They are building souls specific towards that vision. I will agree that the Cleric soul Justicar needs some work but I am hopeful they will make it work.

I will say that Warriors have more Souls capable of tanking so they will have more options open to them when it comes to tanking content. They have souls that specialize in tanking caster as well as others that are more general. So sure they could be "the tank" for fight X. However, plenty of people have run the instances without a Warrior tank and survived (I will say that some have even liked the experience of a Rogue Tank.) I am not sure if Rogues will tank Raid Bosses but I do not see why we would be excluded if your guild is set up to handle it.

Again, hope it helps.
    Last edited by STICF; 02-15-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Also just thought i would say im thinking of beginning a Bard as my main but i was wondering what
    would help me be able to possibly solo with it as a calass or help in pvp as a second soul choice

+ Reply to Thread