+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing a class: A debate with yourself

Default Choosing a class: A debate with yourself

Anyone else having a hell of a time choosing a class for their first/main/primary character? I frequently suffer from an inability to make a decision on what I want to play, often changing characters or rerolling because I saw another class do something cool in a group I was in or in PvP. It's not a fotm thing, it's a "wow that fireball looked really cool, cooler than my lame SHADOW ball". Then a few levels later I see my shadow ball class got an even bigger shadow ball which looked even cooler than the fireball and I'm back to shadow ball character, except I deleted him so I could reuse his name and have to start over again.

This was particularly bad in Champions Online, which offered a completely open class system. The only thing about Rift that has me not too worried is the fact that at most, I will have four characters since I can use all the souls - I just have to pay for it.

So first I was thinking a Necromancer/Warlock to feel like my classic EQ Necromancer. But then as I think about it, none of the other Mage souls are even remotely interesting to me, so that's it. I'm a Necromancer forever. Seems a little boring when you consider that if I choose Rogue I could be a Bard one day, an Assassin another day, and a Ranger on day three.

Then I look at Clerics and Warriors. I have always liked Healers for PvP and tanks for PvE. Now, Rogue has a tank and Mage has a healer but I'm more of a purist, I want to be a pure healer or a pure tank, not a hybrid. Cleric has some DPS options should I feel I want a change, as does Warrior. Warrior has Beastmaster, which was a class I loved in FFXI but despised in EQ, and it seems a bit more like the EQ Beastlord than the FFXI Beastmaster.

I have spent hours upon hours on the soul calculator, checking spell lists and soul trees, and still don't have a decision. I am considering all four of the classes. Bard/Assassin, Necromancer/Warlock, Tanking Warrior, Healing Cleric, and so far I have no way to make a decision.

Yet despite how frustrating this is, it is actually making me MORE excited about Rift.

Telaran

Hahahahahahahahahahaha !!!

Dude, i totally agree with everything you wrote above!
    Im spending hours as well making builds, checking up how it would work out and so on.
    I simply cannot decide on how, and what etc.
    Also afraid of picking the wrong class combo's and eventually having to restart. (stuff like that).
    But ya, having a hard time indeed. Its actually funny though, as i think there aprox a few 1000 more people in a similiar scenario

Soulwalker

At least once you pick a class you can get everything in that class, so at most you'll need 4 characters!

Same here.

It's not healthy!
    Javeline - Rogue of Bloodiron

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=145142&dateline=12965  15411

Rift Disciple

Man, I know exactly what you mean. I've decided on one thing though. The games not going anywhere anytime soon and neither am I, so I'm rolling all four "classes" and playing them all. I got the time, why not
    Tell you what, you remove the dps from Warriors and make them tanks only, and I'll stop being a Rogue tank. Until then, we finally have multiple roles instead of one. Get over it..

At first, I was sold on mages. I loved the chloro and warlock souls. Then my melee roots grabbed me back and I tried justicar an then shaman. I was absolutely sold on the shaman. Then I tried a rogue on a whim and found I loved the Riftstalker soul as well as nightblade and saboteur...an Bard! I made so many rogue builds it was dizzying. Now, for the last beta, for some reason warrior seems to be calling me. May have to try a champ/reaver/riftblade this go-round.

The problem? I could totally see myself rolling any of them come live. I love the choices, but the uncertainty is messing with me.

A chloromancer is not a hybrid, it's a pure healer.

A riftstalker is a pure tank.

A cabalist is pure dps.

A champion is pure dps.

Warrior does not mean tank. Cleric does not mean healer. Mage and Rogue do not mean DPS.

This is not DnD, this is Rift.

A chloromancer will only be a hybrid if you put majority of your points into another soul and choose not to heal. The same exact thing is true about any of Cleric healers. If you take Sentinel and put most of your points into Cabalist, you're going to get a hybrid. If you focus around a single soul (with support from others), you will get a "pure" healer or tank or whatever the primary purpose of that soul is stated as.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    Warrior does not mean tank. Cleric does not mean healer. Mage and Rogue do not mean DPS.

This is not DnD, this is Rift.

I don't know why people associate the D&D cleric with healing. Sure, they could heal... but they did so much more, and a proper cleric build would just crap all over everything else except a very prepared wizard or druid in straight combat potential, and a sensible cleric buffed with spells would be far sturdier than any fighter, too.

I've been doing the same, one day ill assure myself i'm going to be a Rogue, MM/Assassin/Ranger combo, then the next day i start looking at Warriors and so on!

So i've finally decided i'm just going to go full points into Riftblade with some spread around in the other Souls.

The key is to not read around on the forums and just pick what you like the look of!

Yup, i'm with ya.

I love bards, but don't really care for the other souls in rogue and they seem overplayed.

Mages are fun (huge fan of the Wow mage), but mana problems are annoying and they seem very weak and undesired in groups (unless you heal, no tank soul hurts)

Warriors don't appeal to me and I don't like the pressure of healing in groups (cleric).

I go back and forth constantly in my head. I'll probably just end up making one of each and switching between them depending on the day. That how it usually goes in these games for me ;)

my main problem in choosing what to play is as soon as I decide what I want to be, I tell myself how I can beat that with another class in pvp. Then I think about that class.....repeat.

Then I cry

Lol love the posts!

This game is a alt-a-holics wet dream.

Yeah im in the same place as you guys.

When i first heard about the game and read through all the classes i was sold on Sab, but then i read that Sab was the fotm class so i changed my mind to Bard then a cleric then riftblade then......

I have decided to go with my original choice - Sab
    I decided not to care what anyone else thinks, im gonna play a Sab because its something i havent seen in any MMO i have played before, not because it is / or was fotm.
    Last edited by Arcticred; 02-15-2011 at 07:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread