+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pet class role's.

Default Pet class role's.

I just wanted to ask what kind of role you would like or expect the Pet class to fill.

The Elementalists form what is on the site sounds like the basic dps type pet class.

The Nercomancer if added would be kind of a debuff/support type pet class.

There could be more so what kind of things do you expect or would like or love to see added for a pet class.

The more you can post the better as i would just like to see what others think.

Would of made a poll but i do not know how or if i can.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post
    The Nercomancer if added would be kind of a debuff/support type pet class.
    I hope Necros are Debuff/support/Dps. Not insane dps like mages have. But sufficient enough. If that happens, I am a happy gamer.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I just hope the debuff and direct spells of a necromancers are not all the same spell damage type...add in some fire, poison/disease and, possibly, frost damage as well I also expect a skeleton pet at lower levels and maybe a reaper at higher levels..or some abomination, as long as the pets change as you get stronger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Akorai View Post
    I just hope the debuff and direct spells of a necromancers are not all the same spell damage type...add in some fire, poison/disease and, possibly, frost damage as well I also expect a skeleton pet at lower levels and maybe a reaper at higher levels..or some abomination, as long as the pets change as you get stronger ones.
    Abomination would be awsome! It could be a tank pet... Reaper would be freaking UBER cool!! I dont mind spending a good portion of my leveling points or whatever there can be in the game to get something like this to be my pet!! And if that reaper will have a dark aura around him [up to his knees and circle radius of 10 feet] I will e-mail Scott each day to say how much I love and respect him!! ;)
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Abomination would be awsome! It could be a tank pet... Reaper would be freaking UBER cool!! I dont mind spending a good portion of my leveling points or whatever there can be in the game to get something like this to be my pet!! And if that reaper will have a dark aura around him [up to his knees and circle radius of 10 feet] I will e-mail Scott each day to say how much I love and respect him!! ;)
    ^this!!!!!

I'd like to see a utility-type melee-based pet class again like the beastlord in EQ. I love the opportunity to mix things up and fill multiple roles, while providing a little more in-the-face dps than the typical caster pet class.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

I'd liked very much the core VG concept with the shaman class, but the balance was olalala.

3 different specializations / options:

Hayatet a Phoenix pet: caster buffs, debuffs, spells and mana reg + levitation
    Rakurr - a Wolf pet: melee dps buffs, debuffs and spells + runspeed
    Tuurgin - a Bear pet: tank/melee dps buffs, debuffs, spells and endu reg + hmm fat ***?
    Last edited by Osho; 06-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Could pretty much make a pet class out of anything and have it fill any role. I'm not a big pet class guy but I guess a healer pet would be fun. Your character focuses on healing with big spikes while the pet does ittie bittie heals to your target. Its something I've thought of in the past and could flesh it out more but that's the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Could pretty much make a pet class out of anything and have it fill any role. I'm not a big pet class guy but I guess a healer pet would be fun. Your character focuses on healing with big spikes while the pet does ittie bittie heals to your target. Its something I've thought of in the past and could flesh it out more but that's the general idea.
    Have something like a "Good Spirit" that places HoTs at the main target of the healer, only if that targets hp goes below 30% or so, and lasts untill healer runs out of mana.

I would love to see a necromancer that can choose the type of undead he summons from a small list, or on the other hand, maybe he has to "tame" his undead similar to the hunter class from wow. The type of Undead he summons/controls would have abilities that vary from what type he chooses to summon, it could be a defensive Skeleton warrior or Ghast, an offensive wraith/reaper/specter, or a debuffing ghoulish zombie. The undead pet could level up with its own experience table (like an alternate advancement) and maybe could even be kitted out with some minor gear.

I would really love to see a necromancer be able to animate a pet from a dead player (through pvp or even just a corpse of a player left out in the world) that retains the dead players look. a freshly dead player would look fresh and over time would slowly rot away as the pet gains in levels and power.

Other pet class combinations that could be good are:

Druid: The stereo typical druid with an animal pet. Again similar to wow hunter in how it trains its pet, but the druid would be a healing class with elemental/weather offensive spells.

Knight: A warrior class that has a human pet in the form of a squire. The squire could dart in and out of combat with a little dagger or short sword, give the Knight bonuses to Hit (to simulate the squire flanking) and have special attacks like simultaneous strike (both attack at once), or maybe provide cover support with a ranged weapon like a sling, crossbow or short bow.

Wizard: With a Familiar. Similar to the 3rd edition dungeons and dragons Wizard. The familiar would be non-combat, but could provide a buff based on the type of familiar it is ie; Cat (night vision), Toad (underwater breathing), Raven (improved stealth detection), Rat (improved disease resistance).

Beastmaster: Not my idea, but i've seen it mentioned. A melee class that wades into battle with his ferocious furry friend. (similar to white lion from warhammer)

Clockwork Engineer: A scholarly clockwork engineer that has clockwork creations as combat pets. the variety of things they could create here are endless, from tiny clockwork spiders to giant clockwork golems. This is a steampunk style theme that may not fit into telara's lore, If anyone has seen the movie 9 it would be something similar to that style.

That is all i can think of for alternate pet classes, i have had other ideas in the past but can't recall them at the moment.
    Last edited by Elth; 06-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    I'd like to see a utility-type melee-based pet class again like the beastlord in EQ. I love the opportunity to mix things up and fill multiple roles, while providing a little more in-the-face dps than the typical caster pet class.
    Yeah, I agree. I liked my Hunter, but loved my Beastlord. Getting right up in a mobs face with my pet was so much more fun than plinking arrows in its hide from a distance. Loved the whole beastial aspect of the class too, using katars/claws for weapons was great.

Personally, I would love a Bonedancer'ish Necro.
    In case you don't know what it is, you started out with a commander pet. Once you progressed and chose your path (darkness, suppression, or bone army), you would start getting mini pets that help out your commander. Darkness got caster pets and eventually you could summon a commander that nukes, suppression got healer pets and a buffing pet and a commander that lifetaps, and bone army got soldiers / archers and their commander was an archer. The other commanders came in later in the game, but I thought it was neat. The max amount of pets you could have was 3 + your commander, and that was at higher levels. The suppression bonedancers had crazy good survivability, their pets would spam heals on him or the commander and he had an instant lifetap that came up every 4 seconds.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

I love pets. I hope they will implement them in one way. Even if there are non-combat pets.
    Or pets adding some bonus to you (like faster mana regeneration ... what ever).

I don't know if all classes should be allowed to have combat-pets. Can't imagine how it looks like if all people running around with their huge pets and fighting.
    So prolly just the normal pet-classes like necro (hunter maybe too?).
    Telarapedia - The original german Rift Wiki

Leader of "Gilde Gothic" in Rift

Was thinking more about the role of the pet class than what new or ways to add them.

Kind of like what i posted when i made the topic Nerco debuff/support role and such.

Maybe have a pet class suited to be a Tank class to help some what add more tanks as many game's tend to suffer a lack of tanks or a healer since they suffer a problem of low player base.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post
    Was thinking more about the role of the pet class than what new or ways to add them.

Kind of like what i posted when i made the topic Nerco debuff/support role and such.

Maybe have a pet class suited to be a Tank class to help some what add more tanks as many game's tend to suffer a lack of tanks or a healer since they suffer a problem of low player base.
    Fayde,

I would personally like to see these as possible pet classes and the roles I would expect to see them fill.

Necro (type) - debuff/diease and fire based DoT's, with a specialized debuff that makes them VERY important in groups maybe a cold based low lvl nuke, and option of different style pets for different rolls. Skeleton = Rogue, Abomination = Tank, Reaper = a type of 2hd melee dps, Liche = Ranged caster to assist with DoT's and nukes. Necro's would be completely a debuffer and caster DPS with pets performing different roles.

Druid (type) - healer/nuker and if they had pets it would be animal types. I would think that druid pets would be only a dps assist. They would not really specialize in different pet roles. The pets would only be a mindless dps assist.

Shaman (type) - Healer/Buffer and if they had pets it would be animal types. I would think that shaman pets would be only a dps assist. They would not really specialize in different pet roles. The pets would only be a mindless dps assist.

Elementalist (type) - Nuker/with a specialized buff that makes them VERY important in groups. Pets would be different elemental types that perform different rolls within the group. Much like the necromancer - pets would range from earth = tank, fire = melee dps, water = rogue, air = ranged dps. Possibly having the single best pets in the game and having secondary nuker abilities to be in addition with pets. Also having spells to heal, and buff pets.

Also after reading your question again, I think Elementalist and Necro's should be able to use their earth elemental ior abomination to be a damage absorber, and OT. But the pet would have to have constant maintenance from the master. It would probably be like the enchanter from EQ, but only with the ability to control 1 mob and keep it off the group. The enchant in EQ was able to control multiple mobs in the form of sleep/mezmerizes. Elementalist would only be able to control 1 mob, and that mob would be free to perform any casting / healing / buffing that it would normally do since it will be in active combat. It s roll would be to temporarily control an add for sort duration till group can move to kill it. This option of CC would only be on "group" mobs. Raid mobs would be way to strong and would actually need a player to perform the role of an OT (offtank).
    Last edited by Kitsu; 06-06-2010 at 12:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast