+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picking a classed based on your Bartle type

Plane Touched

Default Picking a classed based on your Bartle type

Bartle test is here: http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/bart...mer-psychology

Simple test, 30 questions with 2 answers each.

To get some history on that, Richard Bartle was one of the original pioneers of Multi User Dungeons. This particular test was based off of one of his papers where he came to recognize certain patterns of his players.

Me, I'm probably going to be a Mage. My own score is Explorer: 87%, Socializer: 53%, Killer: 33%, Achiever: 27%

Quote Originally Posted by geldonyetich View Post
    Bartle test is here: http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/bart...mer-psychology

Simple test, 30 questions with 2 answers each.

To get some history on that, Richard Bartle was one of the original pioneers of Multi User Dungeons. This particular test was based off of one of his papers where he came to recognize certain patterns of his players.

Me, I'm probably going to be a Mage. My own score is Explorer: 87%, Socializer: 53%, Killer: 33%, Achiever: 27%
    The questions are extremely dated and only a small portion even partially pertain to today's gaming. Seems like a bad plug to a very old questionaire.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    The questions are extremely dated and only a small portion even partially pertain to today's gaming. Seems like a bad plug to a very old questionaire.
    Can you recommend an up-to-date questionnaire that better reflects today's gaming, then?

I didn't think so.

It's a fairly timeless test, although personally I would quibble that the four categories aren't well defined enough.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-14-2011 at 03:45 PM.

It was fun, thanks for the post

Soulwalker

The Bartle Test is still widely applied to many fields of game research, like ludology. The test is still very valid :>

I'm an Achiever myself, with Killer being 2nd and I'm playing a warrior (tank). Seems sort-of weird, as being a killer is kinda difficult with a tank. And achieving some stuff is also more difficult as a tank. Although that might then reinforce why I'm an achiever, it's also about the challenge of doing stuff really fast with a low DPS/not the best solo class.

Can you recommend an up-to-date questionnaire that better reflects today's gaming, then?

I didn't think so.

If one doesn't exist, then I won't recommend anything. To be so reliant on a questionaire instead of simply playing how you would anyways shows a distinct lack of confidence. Almost as if you require this to validate your own playstyle.

As for saying that the "test" is very valid, to who? When is it valid, how do they use it, why would they find anything in there accurate or worthwhile?

Sorry that I find your simple quiz to be outmoded and that hurts you. However it is a very old tool and with anything that ancient it becomes less and less accurate as the gaming industry and tools change. So at this point is only applies to old MuDs or as a fun diversion when servers are down.

Unless you can provide evidence that today's MMO developers and investors look to this as a proper guage of today's gamers and market?

I didn't think so.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    Unless you can provide evidence that today's MMO developers and investors look to this as a proper guage of today's gamers and market?

I didn't think so.
    Can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamasutra
    Richard Bartle co-wrote the first virtual world, MUD ("Multi-User Dungeon") in 1978, and has thus been at the forefront of the online games industry from its very inception. A former lecturer in Artificial Intelligence and current Visiting Professor in Computer Game Design (both at the University of Essex, U.K.), he is an influential writer on all aspects of virtual world design, development, and management. As an independent consultant, he has worked with most of the major online game companies in the UK and the U.S. over the past 20 years. His 2003 book, Designing Virtual Worlds, has already established itself as a foundation text for researchers and developers of virtual worlds alike.
    (Source: Gamasutra, go-to site by all professionals in the industry.)

That's more than you'll be able to find in terms of industry professionals stating it's not considered relevant.

Thanks for derailing what could have been an interesting thread with your completely unsubstantiated objections.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-14-2011 at 04:05 PM.

That was an amusing test.

Explorer: 100%, Reward-Driven: 38%, Thoughtful: 36%, Anonymous: 9%, Competitive: -48%, Social: -50%

Hah. The social part is right on the money.
    "I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings, yeah (yeah)!
    I have no rival, no man can be my equal,
    Take me to the future of you all!"

-Queen, "Princes of the Universe"

Ato

My gamer DNA is Killer.

Description:

It's the thrill of the kill. Trophies are okay, but that momentary rush attained from besting an opponent is what it's all about.

People with high Killer scores prefer the player-versus-player aspect of any game more than anything offered by the environment. They relish the adrenaline and challenge of pitting themselves against real people. Not all Killers are gankers as some critics claim. While getting the jump on the unprepared for a quick kill is important fun for some Killers, many prefer group PvP and revel in a well executed team maneuver that blows away the opposing side.

Secondary influences

Killer Achievers pit themselves against PvE challenges as well--though often it's a means to an end. A KA often enjoys PvP that focuses on their skill as an individual contributor (duels, and so forth) as well as their personal position on competitive ladders and such.
    Killer Explorers like to feel immersed in a virtual worlds and see themselves as a great villain or crusader within that world. They seek out challenges against other players, but they are going to find all the areas of that world. Trust an KE to know all the best ambush spots and sniper perches

Killer: 93%, Explorer: 53%, Achiever: 33%, Socializer: 20%

Thoughtful: -34%, Reward Driven: -28%, Social: -71%, Sadistic: 11%, Competitive: 100%, Physical: 28%
    Last edited by Ato; 02-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.

I am apparently a SEAK. The numbers amuse me.

Social: 100%, Explorer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Killer: 7%

Oh, I'm also playing a Bard. I'll be rolling a Warrior Tank as well.

I got Killer.

I also plan on playing a bard. But... I also love PvP. But I love organized raiding and PvE, and fill my other time with PvP, so it balances well. But being a very competitive person who just likes to see things die, I can see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith228 View Post
    rogues ran around shootin lightning bolts out of their nuts and clerics had chainsaws for arms

<Hammered> PvE/PvP-Defiant, EST. Semi-Hardcore.
    is recruiting.

Can't I?

(Source: Gamasutra, go-to site by all professionals in the industry.)

That's more than you'll be able to find in terms of industry professionals stating it's not considered relevant.

Thanks for derailing what could have been an interesting thread with your completely unsubstantiated objections.
    I said today's developers, not blog crap. 1978... awesome... good job not proving anything other then you really like old tests.

You =

Unhappy

Got to the 20th question and the server got unhappy, giving me a 502 Proxy Error. Apparently it or the site are getting too popular! Will have to try again later.

@Mantiss, this is all in fun. Which is arguably the point of RIFT or this "outdated questionnaire." Why are you assigning more value to it than the original poster? Seems you have fun at the expense of others.

got an error prety close to finishing. To lazy to do it again..

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection View Post
    Got to the 20th question and the server got unhappy, giving me a 502 Proxy Error. Apparently it or the site are getting too popular! Will have to try again later.

@Mantiss, this is all in fun. Which is arguably the point of RIFT or this "outdated questionnaire." Why are you assigning more value to it than the original poster? Seems you have fun at the expense of others.
    Read more, type less. The OP gave the test far more value then it was due. If you actually read, you'll see that I also stated it was only for fun.

Seems you make random posts at the expense of your credibility.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast