+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: King of single-target melee dps?

Telaran

Default King of single-target melee dps?

When I rolled my first beta character in RIFT, I wanted a brute. A dirty, smelly, sweaty hairy brute with the biggest 2-handed weapon I could get my mitts on (kinky, no?) Obviously I chose a warrior, and dove right into Champion. Over 20 levels later, I am underwhelmed. Do I have a 2-hander? Yes... am I doing decent DPS... sure? Am I doing anything other than 2 slightly different rotations over and over with some utility skills thrown in here and there? No.

After the last beta, I'm lurking the forums, checking different things out. Turns out a lot of people had fun DPS'ing with a Shaman. A cleric soul? DPS? That's what makes this game great! The combinations of playstyles almost seems limitless!

My question to you is: What is the king of single-target melee dps? What have YOU experienced? When you want to log in and beat the ever-loving tar out of everything and everyone using a tree trunk you conveniently ripped out of the ground, what is your go-to soul?
    Last edited by sedateme; 02-14-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by sedateme View Post
    When I rolled my first beta character in RIFT, I wanted a brute. A dirty, smelly, sweaty hairy brute with the biggest 2-handed weapon I could get my mitts on (kinky, no?) Obviously I chose a warrior, and dove right into Champion. Over 20 levels later, I am underwhelmed. Do I have a 2-hander? Yes... am I doing decent DPS... sure? Am I doing anything other than 2 slightly different rotations over and over with some utility skills thrown in here and there? No.

After the last beta, I'm lurking the forums, checking different things out. Turns out a lot of people had fun DPS'ing with a Shaman. A cleric soul? DPS? That's what makes this game great! The combinations of playstyles almost seems limitless!

My question to you is: What is the king of single-target melee dps? What have YOU experienced? When you want to log in and beat the ever-loving tar out of everything and everyone using a tree trunk you conviently ripped out of the ground, what is your go-to soul?
    My suggestion to you would be, play what you want, because right now with the rate of patches rolling out and the changes being made, any opinion given to you could be invalid next week.

The game isn't out yet and people are asking questions that should be asked a few months after the balancing act slows down or goes away.

As far as rotations getting boring, that's par for the course with any class... everything is fun until that new class smell wears off and you become less excited about your choice and just become comfortable or turned off.

Shaman was recently toned down from what I've read so who knows. Play a class that you like the idea of and stick with it until this 'king' of yours is revealed, then you can go that route if you prefer the flavor of the month.

Personally, if developers (all games not just Rift) would stop over adjusting, there would be no king, all things being equal, dps for melee dps should be equal if there are no other factors i.e aoe class, cc oriented, sustained dps vs burst dps etc.

Rift Disciple

My question to you is: What is the king of single-target melee dps? What have YOU experienced? When you want to log in and beat the ever-loving tar out of everything and everyone using a tree trunk you conviently ripped out of the ground, what is your go-to soul?
    Try a mage for a few minutes, your warrior will feel a lot more brutish afterwards.

Rotations are boring yes, especially at low level when you're likely to only spam flamespear anyway.
    Last edited by trutanen; 02-14-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Default Rogue

My first character was a Champion and I too found it slow and dull.

I then made a Marksman and also a Nightblade and finally saw damage output and fun gameplay. Obviously you specified melee so Assassin or Nightblade might be right up your street.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder313 View Post
    My first character was a Champion and I too found it slow and dull.

I then made a Marksman and also a Nightblade and finally saw damage output and fun gameplay. Obviously you specified melee so Assassin or Nightblade might be right up your street.
    My champion smashed faces.. Idk why you guys are experiencing this slow and dull stuff. If anything is slow and dull it's stunlocking with assassin.

Plane Walker

At level 50, mages and warriors dominate single target DPS.
    At level 50, mages dominate AOE DPS

If you want a high DPS class at level 50 ( for raids etc ), roll a mage. They can also Mezz ( very important ) and are fairly decent healers
    Last edited by Smelly; 02-14-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Plane Touched

at lvl 35, warrior is best single target dps in pve, hands down. 2 in my guild that i grouped with many times on KB dungeon runs were putting out 320+ dps consistently on single target fights over 20ish seconds (not many fights last longer than 40 or so seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by Smelly View Post

If you want a high DPS class at level 50 ( for raids etc ), roll a mage. They can also Mezz ( very important ) and are fairly decent healers
    wow, clairvoyant or what?
    insert signature here.

Default Dps

No idea what my DPS was and I've never been in a Rift Dungeon, nor did I stunlock as an Assassin - I was just questing and the Rogues definitely killed things much faster. This is lower levels of course.

If Warriors are out performing Rogues then I'd expect nerfs since they have better Armour and Tanking roles while Rogues are more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder313 View Post
    If Warriors are out performing Rogues then I'd expect nerfs since they have better Armour and Tanking roles while Rogues are more limited.
    I wouldn't say they're more limited. Rogues can Tank, DPS, and Heal to some extent. They can buff the crap out of the entire party and even CC some. That's not very limited in my point of view.

I haven't tried anything outside of Rogue yet, but I'm looking forward to trying Warrior out.

I got my mits on an epic bow during the last beta, and happened to be a rogue, so I made a primarily marksman/hunter build and went to town. I was critting for 1400 damage with the bow, and using strafe was a guaranteed 1k - 1.3k damage every time I used it (2 minute cool down).

I'd say that the marksman is one of, if not the highest, single target DPS classes in the game. Add in the ranger skills and you get some AOE abilities as well, plus the pet to help keep mobs off you. It's a pretty deadly combination and one I'd recommend if you're interesting in destroying everything in sight from afar.

The downside is that it's not as up close and in your face as a warrior or rogue, however, so you may feel a bit more detached from the action at times.

You're either
    A) in Alpha and violating the NDA or
    b) lying and making stuff up

Seeing your join date is in January 2011 you're not in Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvirnith View Post
    I got my mits on an epic bow during the last beta, and happened to be a rogue, so I made a primarily marksman/hunter build and went to town. I was critting for 1400 damage with the bow, and using strafe was a guaranteed 1k - 1.3k damage every time I used it (2 minute cool down).

I'd say that the marksman is one of, if not the highest, single target DPS classes in the game. Add in the ranger skills and you get some AOE abilities as well, plus the pet to help keep mobs off you. It's a pretty deadly combination and one I'd recommend if you're interesting in destroying everything in sight from afar.

The downside is that it's not as up close and in your face as a warrior or rogue, however, so you may feel a bit more detached from the action at times.
    Marksman took several nerfs in Beta7, you might have to test this again. He was asking Melee dps anyway.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 02-14-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Soulwalker

More than just mages have aoe dps at later levels.

I feel sorry for anyone that approaches this game with the need to play 'the best dps class' instead of just picking something they like. Anyone that does, will be disappointed when roles are adjusted (which happens often).

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Marksman took several nerfs in Beta7, you might have to test this again. He was asking Melee dps anyway.
    I certainly will, as soon as I'm able tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast