+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damage type question

Rift Chaser

Default Damage type question

Is "Weapon damage" a separate unique type of damage in Rift? For attacks that say they do "weapon damage + X physical" or "+X fire damage"... is "weapon damage" an actual classed type of damage, or is it also physical damage, and abilities that do "+ X physical" damage are actually doing "+X additional physical damage"?

Shadowlander

Weapon damage is the amount of damage the equipped weapon does. Each weapon has a range for damage, like a sword may say that it does 5-13 points of damage. So for weapon damage + X physical, if the x=5 then the total damage would be "5-13" + 5, which for that one hit would be 10-18 points of damage.

-KunoNoOni

Rift Chaser

No, I get that, I'm saying, is "weapon" a distinct damage type the way that "air", "water", "fire", etc. are.

I know the reason a tool tip says "weapon damage + X" is to indicate it does the damage that's on the weapon; I want to understand what type of damage that weapon damage is. Is it "Physical" typed damage, or is "weapon" damage it's own type?

The relevance is to talents that increase physical damage. If weapon damage is physical damage, for instance, does the "weapon damage" component of an attack get increased by a talent that buffs physical damage?

Rift Disciple

I think it's "(weapon + X) fire damage" rather than "weapon + (X fire damage)". They show up in the combat log as a single hit with just the ability's type.

Rift Chaser

So there's not actually a way to tell? Hrm. I guess it'll just take testing. I'm curious about whether or not in a Champion/Riftblade build, the Champion talent that buffs physical damage when using a 2H will buff the weapon damage component of Rift Blade strikes that do "weapon + (elemental) damage".

If it says:
    Weapon Damage + X. Then it's physical damage.

If it says:
    Weapon Damage +X fire damage. Then the entirety of the damage is fire damage in equal amount to the previously listed equation.
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

Plane Touched

Just ignore damage type, it seems to me that it doesn't seem to influence anything anyway. You'll do as much fire damage against stuff from Fire rifts as you will against stuff from Water rifts.

But I'm not bitter!

Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-14-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    If it says:
    Weapon Damage + X. Then it's physical damage.

If it says:
    Weapon Damage +X fire damage. Then the entirety of the damage is fire damage in equal amount to the previously listed equation.
    Ahhhhhh... that sailed right past me the first time it was explained on this thread. Order of operations fail FTL.

Hmmm, I'll have to ponder just how worthwhile that talent even is for a 2H Riftblade/Champion build, then.

Ascendant

how are people so confused by these things. If its your first mmo i get it but otherwise this stuff is pretty self explanatory.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post
    how are people so confused by these things. If its your first mmo i get it but otherwise this stuff is pretty self explanatory.
    Well, of course, because the combat mechanics in every MMO are identical. They are dictated by the Federal Online Gaming Damage Parsing Adminstration.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post
    Luckily there are forums where people are willing to HELP instead of laugh at you when you ask these kinds of questions, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by trutanen View Post
    Luckily there are forums where people are willing to HELP instead of laugh at you when you ask these kinds of questions, right ?
    10/10

/10char
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

+ Reply to Thread