+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weapons: spells,swords,staff, mace vs. hand cannon, guns, modern

Default Weapons: spells,swords,staff, mace vs. hand cannon, guns, modern

I was wondering how people felt about a more modern choice of weapons (i.e. guns, cannons, bazooka, grenades) vs. old school spell crafting, swords, maces, staffs, daggers,bows.

As this game will involve rifts, its leaves open a very broad interpratation of types of weapons and ages (to borrow a term from the myst series)

Guess i'll start it off by saying I prefer very "old school". But if someone can think of something new, semi-new, or flat out bizarre to add. please do. Would just hate to bring a dagger to a bazooka fight if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Talger View Post
    I was wondering how people felt about a more modern choice of weapons (i.e. guns, cannons, bazooka, grenades) vs. old school spell crafting, swords, maces, staffs, daggers,bows.

As this game will involve rifts, its leaves open a very broad interpratation of types of weapons and ages (to borrow a term from the myst series)

Guess i'll start it off by saying I prefer very "old school". But if someone can think of something new, semi-new, or flat out bizarre to add. please do. Would just hate to bring a dagger to a bazooka fight if you know what i mean.
    From what we've seen, the focus will be on swords & sorcery weaponry with some newer gizmos and gadgets thrown in. We've seen pictures of rifles already and the defiant are digging up all sorts of old technologies. They've also been defined as mixing tech with magic so we'll probably see a lot of bizarre combination of the two. I wouldn't expect anything too modern that would seem too alien though.

I think this approach can work and I want to see more. Weird stuff is fun.

I prefere spells and swords. Especially in a fantasy world like Telara I hope there will be no canons or guns. Maybe some technique weapons build from the Defiant. If there are any bazooka or grenades - I'm out. Definitively.

A good example is FinalFantasy X - I really liked it! But FinalFantasy X-2 with the modern weapons, bah ...
    Telarapedia - The original german Rift Wiki

Leader of "Gilde Gothic" in Rift

I'm not against certain technology in a fantasy setting if it can be supported with the theme of the game. I just would not like to see it go overboard like final fantasy or world of warcraft. Warhammer seems to be in that renaissance era of cannons and steam so it fits, warcraft went overboard with motorbikes and such.

If it were clockwork/steampunk style technology and it was rare and not game breaking i could see it being a fun addition of flavour.

My personal preference is little to none in the way of hand cannons and guns. If the lore of Telara were to introduce Rifts in time and space as well as planes, then it would be extremely interesting to see a rift into an alternative **** germany (The movie "9" or Bards Tale III) and maybe a rifle or a panzershrek ranged weapon make its way into the game. It could have a limited supply of ammo before being useless and maybe the Rift into a future world would only happen as a yearly event.

Note: I only used **** Germany as it has been used in pop culture a lot with their interest in the occult (indiana jones being the main one) it would fit well if their scientists opened a rift through time and space into Telara. The possibilities are endless when Rifts are involved.

NA2I with a Z is apparently blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    From what we've seen, the focus will be on swords & sorcery weaponry with some newer gizmos and gadgets thrown in. We've seen pictures of rifles already and the defiant are digging up all sorts of old technologies. They've also been defined as mixing tech with magic so we'll probably see a lot of bizarre combination of the two. I wouldn't expect anything too modern that would seem too alien though.
    This. However I dont mind a "Magical" Bazooka where you need a tank and a caster to "Fire" it. Caster stands behind tank, while tank places that thing on his shield, which is infront of him, and on his shoulder. And then caster inputs 25% of his total mana into bazooka, and KABOOOM! Huge firework flies out.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

As long as it's VERY primitive tech I'm cool with it. Or even some steampunk magic hybrid. As stated before I just don't want to see things like jets and motorcycles.

For weaponry I see it almost like very primitive flintlock pistols and rifles or maybe some odd clockwork type of weaponry with primitive projectiles.

I think most of us can agree dwarf style guns/cannons form warhammer would not be to far of a push here to fit in lore wise and not ruin the game.

That been said it still needs to be fairly uncommon like cannons only around a city to defend it not all over the place and guns been fairly rare.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post
    I think most of us can agree dwarf style guns/cannons form warhammer would not be to far of a push here to fit in lore wise and not ruin the game.

That been said it still needs to be fairly uncommon like cannons only around a city to defend it not all over the place and guns been fairly rare.
    I agree. 40 engineer baby! The guns didn't really ruin Warhammer, I thought it fit in quite well as they don't do any more damage than bows.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post

This would be acceptable. As long as its supported with the theme of the game I can deal with it. I just hope that there are not to much canons and guns around - like every second person is running around with one.
    Telarapedia - The original german Rift Wiki

Leader of "Gilde Gothic" in Rift

Where has a rifle been seen please?

i redownloaded the videos, checked all the art, and went thru the screenshots as well. Couldnt find anything that looked even remotely more modern than a mace, sword, staff or bow. Please link what you saw, now im interested in checking out just how "modern" it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    Where has a rifle been seen please?
    Warcraft? Warhammer?

------

I'm currently against the guns/cannons etc. If it's fantasy, it has to be swords/magic/arrows etc.

Just my honest opionion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elux View Post
    I'm currently against the guns/cannons etc. If it's fantasy, it has to be swords/magic/arrows etc.

Just my honest opionion.
    Tbh I also prefer swords/staffs and magical bows/crosbows rather than guns, however as it was said, Defiant are digging up some ancient technological artifacts, thus I wouldnt mind having some "Old" type of guns in this game. Not that I would use them, I am just thinking about players who would want to see something similar. As caster, my main weapon is going to be either a staff, or sword + someting in off hand.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Talger View Post
    i redownloaded the videos, checked all the art, and went thru the screenshots as well. Couldnt find anything that looked even remotely more modern than a mace, sword, staff or bow. Please link what you saw, now im interested in checking out just how "modern" it looks.

IF you check the main community page the dude has a gun
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/community/index.php

He does. Sadness ensuing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast