+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crowd Control in RIFT

Soulwalker

Default Crowd Control in RIFT

Hey guys,

I was a heavy player on LOTRO and the RIFT is only the second MMO I will be playing. For those who have experienced LOTRO to some extent there was a class called a LOREMASTER which was a very CC and group relying class. I was wondering for anybody whos knows- are there any classes which are like the LOREMASTER in RIFT where you can be needed in groups constantly for your CC abilties? For instance, any classes where you can mez, root, stun or debuff enemies to make fights and taking on multiple mobs easier? In other words, are there any classes which are NEEDED for CC in this game?

Any feedback would be great!

Cheers

Beastintheharlot94

well tbh, from what I've heard cc really isn't needed in raids, its mainly going to come out in pvp and lower group/solo pve. So if that was what you are going for you might want something gameplaywise with more constant utility . But Dominator (a good mix of cc- but mostly setups- and some debuffs at the cost of dps/defense) and Stormcaller (mostly anti melee- snares/knockbacks/roots and great aoe dps) both have a lot of cc (and are fun classes imo). Warlock and Saboteur both have a decent amount too but while being more heavily focused on other aspects (dps), as does bard (with good support/healing too). Hope that helps
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-14-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beastintheharlot94 View Post
    I was a heavy player on LOTRO and the RIFT is only the second MMO I will be playing.
    Welcome, brother
    If you're going F2P, please do it right. Don't go back on your word.

Plane Touched

Crowd control is indeed real in Rift, the affects of the Dominator's transmogrify and various confusion affects are very much, "this mob will not hurt anyone provided nobody is dumb enough to hit it." In fact, last patch actually allows you to put some damage durability on the stuff you transmogrify, so it'll take more than an accidental tap to snap them out of it.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Pyromancer has a root they can advantage to not break when the target is taking damage.

At worst, I could say you won't need to do much crowd control. I rarely ever have to reach for transmogrify, but it's still useful for mitigating unnecessary damage once in awhile.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-14-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Soulwalker

Compared to EQ2 there is not much CC in RIFT. I played an ele/dom/chloro up to 21 and have this transform spell, a short root and a knockback, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzork View Post
    Compared to EQ2 there is not much CC in RIFT. I played an ele/dom/chloro up to 21 and have this transform spell, a short root and a knockback, that's all.
    not really, there is a lot of cc in rift in my exp between dominators/stormcallers in the mage tree. Probably moreso than eq2 enchanter. But with more of a tradeoff for dps/mana/support buffs imo (in the case of higher lvl dom).
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Plane Touched

Welcome fellow LoreMaster! I love that class, so diverse.

As for Rift, I can't think of any class that is as heavy on CC as the LM was in LotRO, though I could see an Archon/Dom sliding into a somewhat similar role of team buffs, enemy debuffs, and some CC. A very welcome addition to any team.

Plane Touched

Here is the deal:

Currently the skills that were announced do favor a system based on CC and other support abilities in the form of buffs and debuffs used during the fights (dominator, bard, archon). But due to the insane amount of public pressure in favor of the DPS meters, after they are introduced, we will see a fast change in these support classes where their support abilities in the form of cc, debuff and buff during fights will be nerfed, and replaced by dps abilities, since imbecilic idiots will start complaining in grps that this bard is not doing high enough dps or that archon isnt doing any dmg at all.

result? WoW-like system where a paladin does as much damage as a fire mage.
    Last edited by Iseldiena; 02-14-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Xes
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Iseldiena View Post
    Here is the deal:

Currently the skills that were announced do favor a system based on CC and other support abilities in the form of buffs and debuffs used during the fights (dominator, bard, archon). But due to the insane amount of public pressure in favor of the DPS meters, after they are introduced, we will see a fast change in these support classes where their support abilities in the form of cc, debuff and buff during fights will be nerfed, and replaced by dps abilities, since imbecilic idiots will start complaining in grps that this bard is not doing high enough dps or that archon isnt doing any dmg at all.

Stopping scaring me >.>

I tell you what - they'd better do something about the Archon for real.

The Rogue Bard is near (not completely, but damned near) perfect.

Dominator has been getting some serious love (slow but sure) with regard to efficient CC for battle scenarios.

But if Archon doesn't get some serious love with regard to utility buffs AND debuffs (for more than just End Game) , it can seriously be the one that starts the push to give it more dps to compensate, and so it goes.
    Last edited by Dominar; 02-14-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Soulwalker

Here is the deal:
    But due to the insane amount of public pressure in favor of the DPS meters, after they are introduced, we will see a fast change in these support classes where their support abilities in the form of cc, debuff and buff during fights will be nerfed, and replaced by dps abilities, ...
    More dps? From my POV the mage class trees are all overloaded with damage/dps. I would like to see more util spells. more cc and such stuff.

Xes
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Borzork View Post
    More dps? From my POV the mage class trees are all overloaded with damage/dps. I would like to see more util spells. more cc and such stuff.
    I don't know about mages being overloaded with DPS abilities. Take a look at the Archon and Dominator souls - neither has much in terms of damage output but provides party / raid buffs, cc, utility and debuffing.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Xes View Post
    I don't know about mages being overloaded with DPS abilities. Take a look at the Archon and Dominator souls - neither has much in terms of damage output but provides party / raid buffs, cc, utility and debuffing.
    If you want to DPS while CC'ing just make a hybrid build with pyro or warlock. If you use dominator there are so many mezzes that they overlap and you dont need to go all the way up the tree.

Rift Disciple

Here is the deal:

I would like to point out that in the low level dungeons CC wasn't really very needed in most of the dungeons. It could be used but AOE pulling seemed to be a much faster way to move through. This is the REAL reason why CC classes are not appreciated; they are just not necessary.

If later dungeons are harder, I will take back what I have said.

In response to the tool-hate I would like to remind you that 'imbecilic idiots' will complain that dps is slow with or without the tool, if it really is slow. It just takes time for people to get a feeling of what slow and fast are.

A good middle ground that has been suggested is that you can bring up a dps-meter when fighting a targetdummy. That cannot be abused in too many ways.

Plane Touched

All I have seen Trion say about needing cc in pve is that they do not balance leveling dungeons around it, but that they expect all groups to have cc for Tier 1 and Tier 2 dungeons.

I have not seen any statement about it being needed or not used in raids, but considering their statement that at least one raid fight will need a "movement speed" spec... I am pretty certain they will work all abilities (buffs/debuffs/cc/etc) into raids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast