+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused with soul levelling

Soulwalker

Default Confused with soul levelling

Hello Rift community!

I'm interested in buying the game and trying it out for the first month and seeing how it goes.
    A little confused on how the "talent points work" (forgot what there properly called)

Also, when I choose like a warrior/clerk/mage/rogue do I then choose a subclass or do I choose that at character creation screen?

Prophet of Telara

Hmm I'm just gonna say try this guide - Callings? Trees? Souls? Branches? Roots? Builds? found it explained a lot for me.

May wanna try the search function top right corner next time though.

Yeah that link describes it pretty indepth.

The short and ugly version is this:

Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Mage are just very vague generalizations. Each of those 4 "Callings" contain 8 different souls that all do different things. You first pick one of those 4 Callings, and you begin the game picking 1 soul from that Calling. Soon after you end up picking 2 more souls for a total of 3 souls. Later in the game you can begin to collect the rest of the 8 souls.

I tend to think of the "Callings" as categories, and "Souls" as classes within those categories.

You can only have 3 souls active at one time, but you can eventually have up to 4 different sets, called Roles, that can have any 3 souls out of the 8 that you may have collected over time.

As you gain levels you gain points that you can distribute among the souls. These points raise the effectiveness of different skills as well as give you new skills. Each Soul has a total of 51 points that you CAN spend in it if you want, but you don't have to. By the time you are max level of 50 you will have 66 points total that you can spread through your currently active Role of 3 souls.

The Warrior calling does not mean "Tank". The Rogue calling does not mean "DPS". The Cleric calling does not mean "Healer". The Mage calling does not mean "DPS".

I say this because the 8 souls in each of the callings perform multiple functions. Warrior has Tank and DPS. Rogue has Tank, DPS and Support/Healing. Cleric has Healing, Tank and DPS. Mage has DPS, Support and Healing.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    Hmm I'm just gonna say try this guide - Callings? Trees? Souls? Branches? Roots? Builds? found it explained a lot for me.

May wanna try the search function top right corner next time though.

This was a great explanation. I sort-of got it beforehand. I mean it is pretty intuative once you get passed the sheer number of souls. But this explained it beautifully. Thanks for posting the link sir!

+ Reply to Thread