+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I still dont know what to roll, its bugging me!

Telaran

Default I still dont know what to roll, its bugging me!

HEEEEEEELP..

Why cant i just pick a class and stick with it?

Its frustrating to use so much energy on what class to roll, theres just so many!

Telaran

same here.

No combo I try, gives me the "game feeling" I expect from it. but It's my own fault, since the highest char I have are lvl 11s! so I dont really know jack squat about what they really COULD do I guess. But each time I get around 10… I think: hmm… this ____ really doesnt feel fun.

My latest try was the chloro… I read up how most people handle them and rolled. around 11 I still didnt feel as if I really was doing damage AND helping others heal at the same time.
    I felt impactless… (my dmg didnt really matter, my healing wasnt enough)…

But before you all say the obvious: YES, I don't know anything about a class, and yes, it's my fault.

I sometimes just miss the feel. Like the arrows with the ranger for example. Remember DAOC? there I really felt "the arrow leave the bow" and hit the target. Here, I feel as if I'm just firing off tiny firebolts.

I need to stick to ONE char now for the upcoming beta, and try to at least get to 20 where apparently way more of the gameplay starts to unfold. Maybe one of you can give me a hint, based on what classes I liked before in other games:

DAOC:
    The Healer (also Midgard): tons of healing spells AND crowd control. I never again had a char, where it felt like you were the quarterback of an entire party. You were taking care of healing, BUT also constantly had to make sure your sleeps, stuns and roots are up on the right "adds" that were around, so it was possible to take down entire camps with a small group, that normally could not have done it. I would LOVE to play a class like this.
    The hunter, with the nice "bow" sound and animation. I really felt, if done right, that one shot could impact a fight during Pvp.
    EQ1: The ranger. Lot of peole laughed at him back then, and yes, he did not do much, but was the only with snare, and if you missed your turn to snare a mob at low health, it would run off, possibly into others and train them back. So again, alot of "responsability" and that's what made me like the ranger.
    WOW: Druid. Again, cause I like to heal, and crowd control. But yeah, it wasnt typically that kind of char…

so based on this, I tried Chloro + Dominator, hoping to get the healing and cc type of char I like… also startet a domi main, but kind of had the impression, that I wasnt able to really control alot of mobs (yes again: lvl 11… but did read a bit on the builder, what spells are coming up.. and it didnt sound that "dominating").

Also tried a shammy/druid. the attacking felt weak, the healing also…

Andybody who plays a character, that "does any of the things" I am looking for? and that really makes you a bit QB style?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajukreizi View Post
    HEEEEEEELP..

Why cant i just pick a class and stick with it?

Its frustrating to use so much energy on what class to roll, theres just so many!
    No there are only 4. If you are referring to souls get them all and change them at will.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffycalico View Post
    No there are only 4. If you are referring to souls get them all and change them at will.

yeah, you know what he meant. GREAT help btw, thanks for posting this!

Rift Disciple

@ Letter : you should really stick with the chloro / domi, because it will be exactly what you expect : a healer that will have to manage his CC aswell.

But remember that there is so many options in this game, that you just can't go wrong while picking an archetype.

BTW a cleric could also be a healer / CC, just like the rogue (Bard) could do it very well too.

Telaran

Thanks alot Silverblade.

1) What souls would fit best the healer/cc type of build, if I went cleric? who is the cc guy (and good at it) of the clerics?
    2) when you say "or rogue" you are just talking about the cc part right? Who can cc well there?

(yes, I read the sould descriptions, still, I rather have some advice from somebody who actually knows them, instead of a generic text that was written in the beginning of a beta and never changed).

personally I found that reaching lvl 20 really opened the build up and made quite a difference in playability, also trying to focus my build in just one of the 3 souls worked the best.

don't forget you can always experiment with your points and reset them over and over until you find one that feels right.

Yes, it is rather perplexing. I've found most of the callings and souls uninspiring and half thought out. Through the betas I've started a dozen or so toon to try different setups in hopes of finding something that inspired me... nada.

Still, I've preordered and will give Rift a fair shake as betas are generally not optimal to gauge what you'll enjoy, especially with all the soul changes each beta release. Once headstart begins, I'll start a few characters to reserve the names I want and then begin the process of fleshing out how/what I want to play.
    "Mark my words, SW:TOR will be free to play in 6 months or less." - Quoted by me (January 20th, 2012)

Soulwalker

I was having a similar issue at lower levels but after I got my warrior to about 30ish I really started to be able to use more then one tree and get some nice stuff which made the possibilities amazing. I would assume the other classes are the same way, you seem to be better off going one tree for a bit and then starting to branch out and it isn't until you get part of that second tree that you really start to be able to feel more fleshed out in terms of what you can do.

I assume by level 50 you can really have the 3 soul option being possible and that seems like it would pretty fun or else to go heavily into two souls.

Soulwalker

Telaran

haha cool Chart!

(don't see any Cleric+CC option though)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    Not a bad stab at it, I'd say, although he couldn't leave his jockeying for Justicar buffs out of it. ;)

+ Reply to Thread